My action figures need microcomputers

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Collectibles My action figures need microcomputers

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 12 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

So damn tempting: 3D printed scale models of classic computers and consoles. Feast your eyes, gentlemen.

I think my Capaldi needs a guitar and a Commodore PET 2001.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I would put your Captain Kirk character with the Commodore PET, since we know he has one in his swingin’ pad at Starfleet Headquarters.

I wouldn’t mind picking up a few of those. The Atari ones and the Texas Instruments 99/4A mainly.

I was about to refute that and insist that Kirk should have a VIC-20 since Shatner was shilling for Commodore when that machine came out, and then I discovered this:

…which may be even funnier, since those things weigh a ton. I also think I remember him being a spokesperson for Tandy’s computer line at roughly the same time! The Shat has no shame.

Flack
    Participant

Got any Hulk figures?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I was referring to the Commodore PET that was in the background in Kirk’s apartment in The Wrath of Khan. I wonder if that had something to do with product placement or did the props guys think it was a cool, futuristic tech design?

You say that as if a Commodore PET isn’t cool and futuristic. ๐Ÿ˜† The first time I ever laid hands on a computer, I was in grade school, and it was a PET that was weighing down a flimsy A/V cart that was made to haul something slightly lighter around, like one of those overhead projectors. Made my mom take me to the library that night so I could check out a book or two on programming in BASIC. And then I started giving up recess to stay in and try to program games on the PET.

The dawn of the svelte, olympian physique I now sport on a daily basis. Probably should’ve been outside kicking a ball around. ๐Ÿ˜›

Flack
    Participant

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Commodore PET in person before. We never had a Commodore computer of any kind in our school system.

The whole time I was in elementary school we had two Apple II computers. One stayed in the library and the other was on one of those rickety A/V carts like PDF mentioned.

After elementary school, our school district divided students into multiple two-year schools. In 7th and 8th grade, we had one Apple II computer that was in the Gifted room. We used it mostly for Print Ship and Newsroom. In 9th and 10th grade, we had TRS-80 Model IV computers for BASIC programming. In 11th and 12th grade we had IBM PS/2 machines. My first two years of college (91-93), we did all of our newspaper and yearbook layout and editing on Mac Plus machines. In 1994, we moved to those “pizza box” Macs (LC, probably).

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@flack wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Commodore PET in person before.

Well, if you went to MGC this year and checked out their museum room, you would have seen one. Just sayin’. ๐Ÿ˜‰

One very lamentable omission from this Etsy store…

No Odyssey2.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

But they DO have an Altair. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m seriously thinking of making some orders from this site.

The other night I wondered how many I would purchase if I bought one to match each machine I owned. I think the final count was 19 and I would spend well over $100. A big chunk of the money would go to the Atari line since I own every (non-prototype) model of the 8-bit line and Atari is well represented in the Etsy store.

Oh, I noticed the Altair. I also noticed the Apollo DSKY computer, which I think is the most expensive thing in that whole store, sadly.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

One very lamentable omission from this Etsy store…

No Odyssey2.

Or an original Odyssey. Maybe it should be brought to his attention. I’m sure he’ll design one and put it up for sale if you let him know there’s interest.

Time to step up the game – there’s now a 3D-printed mini-PET with its own LED matrix display. [LINK]

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

How hard would it be to set up one of those watch-sized LCD screens and a micro-Arduino into a tiny PET case? And run an emulator on it?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed