MST3K Retro Sign!!!!

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction General SF MST3K Retro Sign!!!!

This topic contains 43 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

San Francisco on July 27th? Oh Ken Manager, can I have the day off please?????

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

If I had contributed to the MST3K Kickstarter, I’d regard Star Crash as the best value for money in the history of entertainment. Even though it’s supposedly an hour and a half long, I’d swear on a stack of both holy books and old Mad Libs that I’ve been watching this for about four hours.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Starcrash was just 94 minutes long, and of course, there is some material cut for time reasons. (Why? This is Netflix…..)

One interesting thing about the skit with “Akton” comes on scene, then states that he is a “fraud”, shows that the writers do their research. The action who portrayed Akton is named Marjoe Gortner. What kind of a name is Marjoe? How about “Mary” and “Joseph”? And, according to the actor’s IMDB page

In his early career as the 4-year-old “World’s Youngest Ordained Minister,” Hugh Marjoe Ross Gortner became a ‘Miracle Child’ extraordinaire. Preaching gospel from memory and performing faith healings, he drew capacity crowds as he barnstormed throughout the Bible Belt. Marjoe (the name a combination of “Mary” and “Joseph”) eventually became disillusioned with what he considered a huge deception and withdrew from the scene entirely during his teen years. But his God-given talents for drawing an audience and public speaking were to be put to good use later on.

Kinda puts that skit into a bit of a new light….

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Well, that explains why he always had that giant grin and wide staring eyes in Star Crash. It looked like he was staring at the face of God or something. Works great in a revival meeting but gets old quickly on a movie.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Well, he was staring at the face (and probably other parts) of Caroline Munro the whole time, it’d be kind of hard not to stare.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Meanwhile, in The Land That Time Forgot, we discover that Susan Penhaligon was in Doctor Who in the Jon Pertwee story “The Time Monster”. I’m not sure if this is the first Doctor Who-MST3K film connection, although we know there has been past quips involving our friend in the magical blue box.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Meanwhile, Yongary is technically a lost film. When the film was sold to the United States, the producers shipped all of the film elements (including the original negatives) to the United States. As a result, the only existing copies are the English-dubbed versions. Whoops.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Interesting. Carnival Magic is also a lost film. Following it’s 1981 showing, the film disappeared, and was considered a “lost” film until a 35mm print was discovered in a warehouse in 2009.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I went to the live show on Thursday. Being that it is in San Francisco, it’s always an expensive trip. Fortunately, The Warfield theater is right next to a BART train stop (with 5 minutes walking), so the round trip BART ticket cost $9. Better than the expensive parking, the traffic headaches, etc.

As for the live show…. if Netflix saw how packed this theater was, they would pick up the show for a season 12. Joel was there to open up the show and take questions, and of course, the first one was “Season 12?” Sorry, if they signed something, they’re being tight-lipped.

Now, remember, they had two shows…. the first was Eegah!, and the second was the mystery movie. At the time I purchased the ticket, I elected to go with the mystery movie. (Some cities had both shows back-to-back on the same day. San Francisco wasn’t one of them). The mystery movie was… Argoman, The Fantastic Superman. Now, there is difference between watching a MST3K solo, and watching it with a few hundred fellow fans, namely in the intensity of the laughter.

Let me see about uploading photos.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Better the BART than the local cabbies. Holy crap, the one time I was in San Fran for Classic Gaming Expo (I think it was there only in 2004 and 2005, and I went in ’05), I took a cab to Fisherman’s Wharf, and damned if the driver didn’t scare me into thinking that the Fisherman’s Wharf sign might be the last thing I ever saw. I want to be BY the bay, not IN the bay, kthx.

Fisherman's Worf
    Today IS a good day to die!

I hoofed it to a BART station after stuffing my face at A Sebella’s, which I gather no longer exists. Fantastic food. The food didn’t give me a heart attack. The ticket almost did.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Hollywood Reporter:

‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Revival Renewed at Netflix

The second season of ‘The Return’ will be back in the “not-too-distant future.”

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return favorites delivered a Thanksgiving surprise following a 12-hour holiday marathon on YouTube.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

So I’m guessing Netflix is going to foot the bill for this one and we don’t have to Kickstart it?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

If Joel wee foolish enough to do one, not only would he get a big fat NO from his former supporters but also a big fat FU.

…unless, of course the rewards from the kickstarter was really good.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

$1,000 perk – “Joel will come to your house and riff your old home movies!”

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed