MST3K Retro Sign!!!!

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction General SF MST3K Retro Sign!!!!

This topic contains 43 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

So they met their $2 M goal, all within a week. That means they can do 3 episodes from the funds.

However, their ultimate goal is to get $5.5M so they can produce a whole season of MST3K and prove to the show biz people that there is a demand for the show. If they do that then more seasons of the show are possible. However, if they only make the $2M, they’ll make those three shows and that’s it. No more.

Joel also announced who they plan to have as the host: Jonah Ray.

… until we reach $2MM and know we’ll be able to #BringBackMST3K, I can’t make any formal offers to actors or writers – not the old team, and not the new team. But if everything works out, here’s my plan:
    I’m hoping Jonah Ray will suit up as “Jonah Heston,” the next host of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

If you listen to the Nerdist podcast, maybe you already know about Jonah. He’s one of the co-hosts, along with Chris Hardwick and Matt Mira.

Here’s Jonah’s Wiki article.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve only ever heard of Jonah Ray on podcasts, I have no idea what he looked like.

I just hope this show works out, since the act of bringing back something classic can be fumbled a million different ways. Ren & Stimpy was brought back and became “Ren & Stimpy’s Adult Party Cartoon”, after all. I think everybody wants to forget that one ever existed.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Big news:

Patton Oswalt has agreed to join MST3K as the Forrester’s newest Evil Henchman… TV’s Son of TV’s Frank!

That is awesome!

Details here.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Some of the people they’ve brought together have given me hope, but that’s the same thing I felt when watching the first episode of The New Monkees. Patton Oswalt is definitely a long stretch in the right direction for me, though.

An old friend of Patton’s is a comedian named Dave Anthony, and Patton has done a couple or three episodes of Dave’s podcast The Dollop with Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds. In the last episode Gareth was mentioning something and Dave shut him down, saying they couldn’t announce it yet. I’m just wondering if they might be writers on the show (Dave is already writing and guest-starring on Maron over on IFC). That would be fantastic.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

OK, I upped my pledge to $200 which means I’ll be getting DVDs (or Blu-Rays) of the show in addition to all the other stuff from the lower levels (downloads, poster, coffee mug, T shirt, certificate, etc.

Right now they are locked in for 9 episodes. Just $1 million more and they will get to 12 episodes. The kickstarter ends on Friday.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

So the Kickstarter ended last month and, not only did they get all they asked for, they got even more. So much more that they extended the stretch goal to make 14 episodes of the show. 14! w00t!

Here’s an article that came out recently about the show: Mystery Science Theater 3000 reboot is happening production starts January 4.

January 4th? That’s tomorrow! Yay!

Just because the original cast members are sitting out this round doesn’t mean they’re not still shredding movies. Introducing the Movie Sign with the Mads podcast with Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu!

Their first victim: Independence Day Resurgence… 😈 …though they quickly tire of it and move on to other movies that may or may not have handled the same basic theme a bit better.

Kickstarter perk movie sign!! 😮 [LINK]

Series creator Joel Hodgson has announced via his Kickstarter page that two of the three original lost episodes for his hilarious Mystery Science Theater 3000 show have been re-discovered. Hodgson shared this geeky good news with fans supporting the online crowdsourcing initiative to return the show to the airwaves, Bring Back Mystery Science Theater 3000, and offered some enthusiastic words about this important occurrence. Thanks to thousands of avid MST3K faithful, their successful Kickstarter campaign raised millions to enable Hodgson to film 14 new episodes of the seminal sci-fi comedy series for release next year on Netflix. The two elusive episodes unearthed were Invaders from the Deep and Revenge of the Mysterons from Mars, two chapters back from the infancy days of 1988 at KTMA, the local TV station in Minneapolis-St. Paul where the show first aired.

Totes jealous of the backers. 😯

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’m embarrassed to admit that I didn’t know about the lost episodes until I saw your post, Earl. Oh, I got the email from Joel about it last Friday. Yep. However, the email was ten pages long and the stuff about the lost episodes was near the bottom. Sadly, I didn’t get to that part before I got distracted (oh! Shiny!) and did something else. If I saw it, I would have said something.

The email also reminded me that I have downloadables (sitting there since JULY! OMG!) and I need to get cracking downloading them. Like the Rifftrax kickstarter I backed, the downloadables are either the movies or – in the case they didn’t get the rights – just mp3 files I’ll have to play while I watch the movies.

I just checked and – yes! – the missing episodes are in my VHX account. Tonight I’ll be checking them out! I’ll let you know how it goes.

April 14th on Netflix.

Has anyone else watched any of the new MST3K? Thoughts? Reactions?

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I’m on a free month of Netflix specifically for this series, and am currently on episode one: Reptilicus. They didn’t muck with what worked, which was the mocking of the bad movies or the intentionally cheap set design.

Opening Theme (from episode 201)
    Every Country Has A Monster

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve been watching the new episodes, and… um… they’re okay. They feel more like the Sci-Fi Channel version to me. I just fast forward to the host segments, but those aren’t particularly interesting either. They’re layering on a weird amount of backstory onto the host characters, and there’s some entertainingly weird guest-stars. How did Jerry Seinfeld get wrangled into doing a segment? And Mark Hamill showing yet again that he’s the greatest.

I’m not really watching most of the actual movies. Maybe it’s because my attention span has drastically shortened since the early ’90s, or maybe it’s because the feel of the original Joel episodes isn’t there anymore. I appreciate that it’s back but I don’t think I’ll watch it regularly. Maybe I’ll save them up for Thanksgiving.

And now MST3K is going on tour, in the tradition of Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax Live. [LINK]

Of all the times to no longer be living a few blocks away from the Weidner Center in Green Bay. 😥

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed