MST3K Retro Sign!!!!

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction General SF MST3K Retro Sign!!!!

This topic contains 43 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From RetroTV:

Retro TV Adds Cult Classic Mystery Science Theater 3000

Luken Communications is proud to announce the long-awaited return of Mystery Science Theater 3000 to television on Retro TV.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

ZLoth
    ZLoth

It will be just 26 episodes due to movie rights. See this list of movies.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

That they were even able to clear half a year’s worth of shows (assuming one per weekend) is impressive. I’m not at all surprised to see a complete lack of kaiju films (Gamera, Godzilla), since their rights holders tend to act like they’re sitting on cultural treasure. (Toho is probably “protecting” Godzilla on behalf of this year’s latest attempt at an Americanized version.) Quite a few others, however… what the hell could it hurt? Is allowing the MST3K version to air somehow going to damage the syndication/repeat residuals? (Answer: probably not. It’d be extra money. I guess some rights holders are either too greedy or too butt-hurt about being “MSTied” to just shut up and take some extra money.)

Maybe, if this goes over well, further “seasons” of repeat packages might come about, maybe with additional shows if other studios and rights holders come to their senses. I mean… really… how much money is Kitten With A Whip going to make in 2014 if they don’t show the MST version? Oh… yeah… thought so. 😛

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I have the funky feeling that most of these movies are either “public doman”, or have very little rights costs. Sandy Frank, however, is still probably pissed.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

They did use a whole lot of Sandy Frank’s properties throughout the years. I’m just shocked that Sandy Frank is still alive, considering he first started working in television in the ’50s. According to Wikipedia, he was quoted as saying that MST3K was fun and a good laugh, so it seems like he doesn’t have very hard feelings. Considering that MST3K was the only way some of his produced movies like Time of the Apes and Fugitive Alien would ever be seen by a wide audience well into 2014, he should be happy about it (and whatever revenue it brings in).

Also according to Wikipedia, he’s recently partnered with The Asylum. They’re the horrible movie studio that makes cheap-o knockoffs of blockbuster movies and tries to get them on home video before the originals. They make movies that even the SyFy Channel would be ashamed to air. Transmorphers and Atlantic Rim are a couple that spring to mind, complete with what looks like Babylon 5 era CG rendering.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I don’t see where they say who is starring in this new venture. I just see who was in the old MST3K (maybe I’m just getting old and can’t see as well). Will it be Joel and his Cinematic Titanic crew or is it Mike Nelson and Riff Trax gang? Or a mix of the two? Or will it be a whole new crew altogether? I look forward to more press releases.

Joel is scheduled to appear at one of our local Comic Cons this June. I got questions for him, especially about this new venture. If he’s not to be on it, I would at least like to hear his thoughts about the show and the whole “riffing” genre that’s gotten much more popular lately.

It’s a scattershot package of reruns of old Comedy Central and Sci-Fi episodes.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Oh, just reruns. That’s disappointing. I guess when I see a big press release about something like this I am expecting new original content and not an announcement about the broadcast of reruns. I obviously read that press release with some Rose-colored glasses on. 😳

@ubikuberalles wrote:

I guess when I see a big press release about something like this I am expecting new original content and not an announcement about the broadcast of reruns.

Okay, well how about this? Shout Factory has bought out Jim Mallon’s stake in Best Brains and MST3K, and Joel is crowdfunding a revival with a new cast. None of the previous cast members from either the Comedy Central or Sci-Fi Channel eras are involved. [LINK]

Shout! Factory now has the proprietary rights the “Mystery Science Theater 3000” from Best Brains, Inc., including all brand assets and global intellectual property. The media company is partnering with Hodgson and his company Alternaversal, LLC on future endeavors surrounding the “MST3K” brand, including plans for new content development, digital media initiatives, live events, merchandise licensing programs and content syndication to international territories.

“’Mystery Science Theater 3000′ is a true cult-classic comedy series that continues to attract fans till this day,” said Shout! Factory’s founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos. “This is a momentous acquisition for us. We’ve been pursuing this deal for many years, and we’re thrilled that it’s finally coming to fruition. We see that there’s still tremendous untapped potential for the ‘MST3K’ brand. We’re looking forward to the next phase of ‘MST3K’ with Joel.”

Hodgson commented, “I am thrilled to team with Shout! Factory, one of ‘MST3K’s’ greatest supporters, to once again pick up the creative mantle. It’s been a long time coming and I feel ready for the show’s reboot and hopefully lots of new iterations in different media. I’m also looking forward to working with both creative pros and the loyal fan base who have been inspired by our humble show over the years…Actually, I’m not sure if there really is such a thing as a humble show, let me check on that.”

The show’s original producer Jim Mallon added, “Fans of ‘MST3K’ can celebrate as Shout! Factory begins a new ‘MST3K’ adventure with the Crow, Tom Servo, and Gypsy reuniting with Joel Hodgson. Shout! Factory is perfectly placed for this next chapter as they have been our partner and excellent stewards of ‘MST3K’ for the past seven years.”

Okay, where do I send my audition tape to be The All-New Tom Servo? And what does this mean for Other Space?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

OK. I’m in. I paid to see Joel at a local comic con a year ago so I might as well pitch in for the kickstarter. I pledged $114 which means I’ll get to download all of their shows when they complete them.

EXPERIMENT 100: IT’S FILLED WITH (DOWNLOADABLE) STARS!

Watch MST3K whenever, wherever and however you want! We don’t know whether we’ll get to make 3, 6, 9 or 12 episodes, but however many it is, you’ll own all of them with DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF THE WHOLE NEW SEASON, in glorious HD, with no insulting DRM.

Here’s the link to the kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

Earl: For the right kind of money you can become a writer or producer of the show.

EXPERIMENT 10K: THE MASTER (OF MST3K)

So you think you’ve got what it takes to be an MST3K riffer? Alright, then. Let’s find out. With this package, you’ll JOIN US AS A WRITER* for a new episode. (But suggesting “Hi-keeba!” doesn’t count as a riff.) You’ll watch one of the new movies in advance, come up with a bunch of riffs, and Joel and the producers will pick the best to go in the script.

Pricetag? $10,000

What’s a house anyway? Just some wood and carpet. Sell it. MST3K is more important.

Don’t care to be a writer? You can be an EXCUTIVE PRODUCER!

EXPERIMENT 25K: YOU’RE THE GOD. *YOU’RE* THE GOD!

This is it: the end of the road. No mortal man (or woman) should have this much power, but for one or two generous patrons, we’ll name you an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER for the ENTIRE NEW SEASON*.

That one will cost you $25K. Do an apocalypse now thing and sell the kids. You needs the monies naow!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

What bothers me is that none of the originals will be on the show. So would it really be their show, or would the new cast overshadow the originals? Would Tom and Crow even come back, or would it be other robots? I’ll have to adopt a wait and see approach to this endeavor.

@Steve W wrote:

What bothers me is that none of the originals will be on the show. So would it really be their show, or would the new cast overshadow the originals? Would Tom and Crow even come back, or would it be other robots? I’ll have to adopt a wait and see approach to this endeavor.

So far Joel’s the only person from any point in the original show’s history who’s involved.

It’s kind of like the Electric Mystery Science Light Theater Orchestra revival. Are you here for the whole band…or just the one guy? The parallels are kind of interesting now that I joke about them.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Well, they state very explicitly that Tom and Crow will be back. However, there is no mention of the former voice actors for Tom or Crow coming back so I’ll have to assume there will be new actors filling those roles.

It doesn’t look like Joel will be in front of the camera since they posted that the host and one of the mad scientists will be new (and hasn’t been determined yet).

So there are a bunch of questions to be answered before they start production. Nevertheless, I’m optimistic.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I think the original was one of those shows that caught lightning in a bottle, hitting at the right time to become successful. I’m not sure rebooting it will work nowadays. It was a nice piece of middle-America humor with a bunch of intelligent and funny people creating something great, and I’m afraid they’re going to lose all of that if they restart the show with new people.

Knowing Joel, though, he’ll probably gather some local talent around him – as was the case with the original. Let’s face it, the money raised to date will get him the rights to a few movies…and leave enough for bargain-basement production values. Which was the charm of the original in a nutshell. Also, outside of a nutshell.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed