More Missing DOCTOR WHO Episodes Will Return via Animation

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who More Missing DOCTOR WHO Episodes Will Return via Animation

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by EarlEarl.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ZLothZLoth

From Nerdist:

More Missing DOCTOR WHO Episodes Will Return via Animation

There was a period of time there, close to 2013, when it looked like the unthinkable would happen. Hundreds of episodes of Doctor Who from the 1960s were missing, presumed lost forever. And then, like a TARDIS groan in the darkest hour, archivists found nine episodes. From the far-flung parts of the world, episodes of TV thought destroyed came back. Just in time for the 50th anniversary, we had one complete story and one nearly complete. Maybe they’d find ALL the missing episodes!

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Personally, the most fascinating thing about The Faceless Ones being next in line is that, going in logical order after Macra Terror and Faceless Ones, the next release should be Evil Of The Daleks, regarded by many as an all-time classic. One live action episode exists (I think it’s part two), and was restored some time back for DVD, so unless you’re just insisting on animating everything, there are only six that have to be animated.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Two weeks from now, at London Film & Comic Con, another animated recreation of a lost 1960s story will be announced, along with an already-completed clip. Considering that it literally picks up moments after the already-announced Faceless Ones leaves off, my bet remains on Evil Of The Daleks.

That being said, I know that at least a little bit of work has been done on the Cybermen story The Wheel In Space as well.

Watch, with my luck, it’ll be The Space Pirates.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Well, it took a bit of time, but it looks like we’ll be getting Evil Of The Daleks and The Abominable Snowmen in 2021. [LINK]

Originally planned to be the last appearance of the Doctor’s greatest foe, The Evil of the Daleks is also notable for featuring the first appearance of Second Doctor companion Victoria Waterfield (played by Deborah Watling), with only the episode that she first appears in (discovered in a car boot sale years later) surviving to be returned to the BBC Archive.

The Abominable Snowmen, meanwhile, also has just one episode left standing, with the other five – featuring a story where the Doctor first meets recurring robot foes the Yeti – all still missing.

RadioTimes.com understands more information about the animation teams working on the episodes and details about the release will be unveiled in due course – for now, though, fans can just get excited that more missing Doctor Who will, in some way, be returning to the canon for fans to enjoy watching.

The Radio Times site then proceeds to bury the lede by giving away the name of the upcoming holiday special:

Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks comes to BBC One in late 2020/early 2021.

…which may be the last new live-action Who for quite some time under present circumstances. Let’s face it, the next couple of years could be a real heyday for Cartoon Patrick Troughton. Unless Cartoon Jodie Whittaker suddenly becomes a thing…which might not be the worst idea.

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Tuesday night I watched the animated version of “The Faceless Ones” (in color!) on TV. It was broadcast recently on BBC America. I really liked the color animation versus the B+W animation I’ve seen on other Doctor Who episodes. Certainly much better than the slide show/occasional clips version I saw a couple years ago.

One great feature of the animation vs. the actual show is that the special effects are better (duh!). A lot of times shows of that era would splice in (poorly done) stock footage that has a different graininess and color tone than the rest of the show. That can be jarring and it sometimes takes me out of the show. That’s especially true with the 1950’s cheap Sci-Fi movies where they switch between a stock footage of a V-2 rocket, scenes of a model of the rocket in space and interior scenes.

Since most of the early Doctor who episodes were on video tape and even filmed sequences were transferred to tape, the transition from filmed scenes to videoed scenes is less jarring but you can still see a difference. It’s also less jarring because the filmed sequences are almost always exterior shots whereas the video sequences are done on set. Therefore, you expect a change in contrast and lighting and other BW attributes when you go from exterior to interior (and vice versa).

With the color animation, none of that happens because it is the same color palette throughout the show. There is a different palette when they show outer space sequences but that is expected.

If I were a 20-something millennial I’d be going on and on about plot holes (I hate that term and how they abuse it) on this show. The most glaring one to me was the fact that the aliens would melt if they take off that arm band or the original was woken up. If I was an alien and my commander asked me to mimic someone via the arm bands I would refuse. “Put that thing on and risk getting melted? No thank you! What if I trip and fall on the armband and it breaks? Melty-melty! Someone stumbles on the original? Melting time! I just don’t think so, thank you very much.” (Imagine Eric Idle playing the part of the refusing alien).

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

The UK Blu-Ray of Fury From The Deep landed on my doorstep about a week ago, and… I predict you’ll like that one too. Just a hunch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.