Mirror's Edge

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

Banner

A beautiful game with a good story AND a female protagonist? Steam, let’s hear about it.

In a city where information is heavily monitored, agile couriers called Runners transport sensitive data away from prying eyes. In this seemingly utopian paradise, a crime has been committed, your sister has been framed and now you are being hunted. You are a Runner called Faith and this innovative first-person action-adventure is your story.

Mirror’s Edge™ delivers you straight into the shoes of this unique heroine as she traverses the vertigo-inducing cityscape, engaging in intense combat and fast paced chases. With a never before seen sense of movement and perspective, you will be drawn into Faith’s world. A world that is visceral, immediate, and very dangerous.

Live or die? Soar or plummet? One thing is certain, in this city you will learn how to run. From the makers of the groundbreaking Battlefield franchise, Mirror’s Edge is an action-adventure experience unlike any other.

This game was originally released in January, 2009, and remarkably holds up well today, minus some snickering about playing old games. Out of the box, the game only has a maximum frame rate of ~60 FPS and almost no Anisotropic filtering (AF). However, almost ten years later, and we have better monitors and video cards. With some modification of the config files via PC Gaming Wiki, I was able to increase the frame rate to well beyond my monitor’s 165 frames per second at 2560×1440 resolution.

And, it is so worth it too. The graphics are absolutely stunning in this game, with some other reviewers calling it a “beautiful game”. The music in this game is absolute fantastic too.

EA DICE, which is better known for it’s Battlefield series, released this game under a slightly different concept. Instead of being a shooter, you employ parkour as you leap from building to building to uncover an assassination conspiracy involving your sister Kate. Leap? For me, it involves falling (and failing) so many times, I’m surprised my character Faith didn’t storm off the game in protest. I think I developed a temporary aversion to heights because of this game. The creators did state that it is possible to complete the game without firing a single shot, and I admit, I got through the first several chapters using hand-to-hand combat. However, near the end, I threw up my hands and elected to use weapons.

This game normally retails for $20 on Steam, but is discounted regularly to $5. At $5, it’s a steal, and easily worth purchasing. You may end up having to purchase a new controller and mouse after you complete this game.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed