Maybe I’m missing something…

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

…re: the appeal of the Bif Bang Pow “Mego style” figures, because at the NY Toy Fair this week, they rolled out a line of Battlestar Galactica figures in that style (i.e. 8″ tall, with cloth clothing), the same size as their existing Star Trek, Twilight Zone and Doctor Who figures. (Heck, the compatibility with these other properties is the only appeal I’m coming up with here. And yet I seem to be in the minority.)

They’re all classic Galactica characters, by the way – they come in two two-packs (Adama/Cylon, Starbuck/multi-eyed multi-mouthed lounge singer). It’d be even funnier to do modern Galactica characters in this style.

The likenesses on the human characters seem to be better than those for the Doctor Who figures, which, to be totally honest… looked like crap from the prototype stage onward.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I haven’t seen those. Got any links?

I’m not overly impressed by Bif! Bang! Pow!’s output. Their Venture Brothers figures aren’t all that great. And I have no idea why they put so much effort into making bobble heads. Didn’t bobble heads peak in the ’90s?

So, what did you think about the Battlestar Galactica figures that came out in the ’90s, the ones with the crazy muscular human figures? I’ve got a Cylon, mainly bought because of the red LED in the eye and the voice sample. I’m a sucker for that old-school Cylon voice.

@Steve W wrote:

So, what did you think about the Battlestar Galactica figures that came out in the ’90s, the ones with the crazy muscular human figures? I’ve got a Cylon, mainly bought because of the red LED in the eye and the voice sample. I’m a sucker for that old-school Cylon voice.

I remember seeing those while I was picking up some of the very last waves of the 4″ Playmates Star Trek figures at a toy store in Wisconsin. I was aware that they were tied in somewhat with Richard Hatch’s novels, but that was about it. The hyper-muscular BS didn’t surprise me – we’d already been through that with the initial waves of the revived Star Wars figure line that Hasbro started up around 1995. I remember picking up a new R2-D2 (it’s sitting here on my desk right now, in fact), but was faintly annoyed that Luke now looked like He-Man in a kimono, and if the phrase “He-Man in a kimono” doesn’t scream “all kinds of wrong” at you… I don’t know what would. I have a Tarkin figure that I picked up in WI around the same time, and even though Hasbro had gotten better about not making the Star Wars cast look like ‘rasslers, they still managed to make Peter Cushing look buff. This, too, was all kinds of wrong. I see that they’re finally going to correct that with a better Tarkin figure this year. Took ’em long enough.

Now, for a good laugh, imagine Doctor Who figures in the same style. Mr. Patrick Troughton will now kick the ass of every person in this room.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed