LIS:TNG

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

…which is an acronym for Lost In Space: The Netflix Generation. [LINK]

Now comes word of another show that looks poised to join Netflix — a remake of “Lost in Space” from Legendary Television, as reported Friday by Deadline. Reportedly, the project had major interest — described as a “competitive situation, with multiple bidders” — and Netflix isn’t looking to waste time, with a likely straight-to-series order.

The remake is written by “Dracula Untold” screenwriters Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, and is described as “an epic but grounded science fiction saga focusing on a young explorer family from earth lost in an alien universe and the challenges they face in staying together against seemingly insurmountable odds.” Though it sounds like it may be more serious in tone than Irwin Allen’s ’60s original, it’s said to be part of Netflix’s attempt to pursue “big scale, four-quadrant family entertainment.”

So help me, if “more serious in tone” = “dark & gritty”, I’m gonna eat the nearest action figure of Bill Mumy.

Ah crap, it’s Lennier. This is gonna hurt.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’m not holding my breath. The movie sucked hard. You can’t make the show more serious in tone and expect it to succeed.

And it’s a real deal…10 episodes, coming to Netflix in 2018. [LINK]

Netflix has given a 10-episode series order to “Lost in Space,” a reboot of the classic science-fiction television show.

The new series will be produced by Legendary Television. Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, the screenwriting team behind the films “Dracula Untold” and “Last Witch Hunter,” will write the new series, with “Prison Break” veteran Zack Estrin set to serve as showrunner. The three will executive produce alongside Synthesis Entertainment’s Kevin Burns and Jon Jashni , Applebox’s Neil Marshall and Marc Helwig. Marshall is also set to direct several episodes of the show. The series is set to premiere in 2018.

Danger! Danger! Etc.!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The credits of the behind-the-scenes staff don’t fill me with hope…

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Still not holding my breath. I remember watching the 2004 pilot for the series: “The Robinsons: Lost in Space” on youtube and not being happy with it (the pacing seemed off and I thought the writing was poor). When I finally see the first episode of this new series, I’ll be keeping that failed pilot in mind throughout (and not holding my breath in the meantime).

Parker Posey IS…Dr. Smith???!? [LINK]

Slated for a 2018 premiere, the new Lost In Space takes its cues from the original CBS series, revolving around the Robinson family, which is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, the Robinsons find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and their own personal demons. Posey will play Dr. Smith.

Ooooookay…personal demons. And we’re all gonna tune in like

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Trailer sign! [LINK]

Netflix has slotted April 13 for the launch of its Lost In Space remake. We’re also getting a first look at the new iteration of sci-fi master Irwin Allen’s 1965 cult TV classic, from Legendary TV.

While this is our first look, the new Lost in Space has already been made available for viewing in space. Netflix provided NASA with access to the pilot episode, which was transmitted 12 days ago to the International Space Station for astronauts to view.

According to Netflix, the new Lost In Space is set 30 years in the future, colonization in space is now a reality, and the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world. But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, light-years from their original destination.

Stranded along with the Robinsons are two outsiders who find themselves thrown together by circumstance and a mutual knack for deception. The unsettlingly charismatic Dr. Smith (Parker Posey) is a master manipulator with an inscrutable end game. And the roguish, but inadvertently charming Don West (Ignacio Serricchio) is a highly-skilled, blue collar contractor, who had no intention of joining the colony, let alone crash landing on a lost planet.

Mina Sundwall, Max Jenkins, Molly Parker, Taylor Russell, and Toby Stephens also star.

Please keep the original theme music.
    Please keep the original theme music.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Holy crap, they kept the original theme music. Kind of. I’ve started a guide as I go through the series [LINK].

Lost in Space and Chicken

It’s…interesting. I must be getting old, because the more entrenched the idea of a story arc becomes in American television, the more I find myself yearning for the complete-story-in-one-hour stand-alone episodic stories of yesterday.

The first episode in particular jumps back and forth between “present day” and “flashback”…which meant that my old joke “It’s like ‘Lost’, but in space!” was now a self-fulfilling prophecy. Has this storytelling device not played itself out yet?

I like the new take on the robot, including its origins, though I like it better when it’s being silent and menacing. Everything, even the camera movement, seems to be telling us that the first utterance of “Danger, Will Robinson” is a Moment of Great Importance…and yet all I could think was that this show hadn’t earned the right to use that catchphrase yet.

I’m also confused about all the press that this is a “family drama”. When I think of that, I think Doctor Who, Star Trek: TNG, stuff that kids and parents could watch together. The new Lost In Space may be a drama involving a family, but it’s not a “family drama” when there’s one exclamation each of “bullshit” and “son of a bitch” in the second episode. Me and the boys just finished marathonning Netflix’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events over two weekends and are going to be looking for something new to watch. I was hoping this might be it. No such luck.

Anyone else seen it? Any thoughts?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I have… acquired… it and I’m not sure if I want to watch it now or save it for the next time I go on vacation. Since I don’t have any plans for a vacation week until July, I think I might just watch it now. I don’t have a lot of hope for it, although a co-worker thinks it was pretty decent.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’m about halfway into the show…and more and more, I’m convinced that Parker Posey’s Dr. Smith is based on Ally Sheedy’s Breakfast Club character, and maybe they should’ve just gotten Ally Sheedy instead?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I watched the series over the Friday the 13th weekend in three sessions. Overall, I liked it but I had some issues with various things.

First was the Maureen Robinson character. I liked that she was a completely different take on the character from the original series where June Lockhart played this stereo-typical housewife who was compliant to her husband and merely wrung her hands when there was a crisis instead of taking an active role in the problem. This new Maureen is almost the complete opposite: not only does she take an active role in her family, she’s the one in control. So much so,she basically drove her husband away. He’d rather face combat than have to deal with her. Now, she’s not overbearing in the classic case: instead of yelling at her family to get her way (which is what a stereotypical 1960’s dad would do) she would persuade and manipulate them to do her bidding. Although her techniques are more sophisticated, she’s still dictatorial. Everything has to be done her way. One could say she’s head strong (which is a very non-PC 1960’s way of saying it). I would say she’s an arrogant jerk and she uses that “PHD in Engineering” to support her arrogance. To me, she is long over due for a comeuppance and needs to learn to be a little more self aware and realize the impact she has on people.

Yikes! I have a strong opinion on that. Obviously Maureen struck a chord with me.

I’m not sure what to say about Dr. Smith. Part of me wants to just say that she is bat-shit crazy. I understand her origins and that explains why she did some things but some of the other things she did is firmly in the psychopath territory. I would venture to say that she’s not very smart. She is willing to make dangerous decisions that negatively impacts others for really short-term gains. If she would spend a second or two thinking about her nefarious plans, she would be much more successful in her endeavors. I guess she’s just the McGuffin where all the plot holes go.

When I see Parker Posey, I think of her character in “You’ve Got Mail”. In fact, it might be the only other role I’ve seen her in. As a result I’m thinking that this is what happened to her character when Tom Hanks dumped her: goes nuts, goes to prison and escapes into the LIS world by drugging (and possibly killing) her sister. When I first saw her in the show I immediately thought “did she ever get her eyes lasered?”

The Don West character is interesting. More interesting than the original, that’s for sure. I’m concerned about his chicken obsession, it’s not healthy. Also, whenever I see his character in the show, I think they stole the Joey character from Friends. Maybe Matt LeBlanc should have taken this role (again)? Hell, maybe even Tony Danza? Too old?

Surprisingly, I have no serious issues with the Will Robinson character. Probably because he’s not the precocious little brat from the original show or is nothing like Wesley Crusher. That precocious kid stereo type got old long ago and I’m glad they decided not to go with it.

I like that they went a completely different route with the robot. There’s a mystery there about its origins and that’s intriguing.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles.
    ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

BTW, did you catch the Billy Mumy cameo in the show? I thought that was nice.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I spotted him – even made a note of it in the guide. Poor Lennier.

Mumy

I have had to pause my marathon of LIS for furniture-selling, house-listing reasons, but I hope to watch eps 5-10 ASAP.

If they ever make it back to Earth, Don West will go nuts the first few times he sees a KFC.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Renewed! [LINK]

Netflix has renewed “Lost in Space” for a second season, Variety has learned.

According to Nielsen data released shortly after the premiere, the series drew 6.3 million U.S. viewers over the first three days following its premiere.

The Netflix original series is produced by Legendary Television. Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless serve as writers and executive producers. Zack Estrin serves as showrunners, with Kevin Burns and Jon Jashni also executive producing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.