Life-size 3-D printed Kenner R2D2

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Collectibles Life-size 3-D printed Kenner R2D2

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Flack 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

What if my bestest buddy from my childhood was scaled up to life-size? That’s what some clever soul showed off at the Star Wars Celebration.

Excellent…excellent…now make a life-size upscale of the Mego VINCENT figure from the Black Hole.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Now that’s clever. I hope they made a clicker for the inside of the head for when it turns.

I can only imagine the unbelievable amounts of stupid junk I’d make if I had a high end 3D printer. I’d buy an old Volkswagen, strip it down to the frame, and print out new interiors and body panels to turn it into my own Spinner car from Bladerunner. And that’s just off the top of my head, given time and a lot of meltable plastic I’d be making anything and everything I could think of.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’d make a 3D printer with mine. 😉

That’s right, I’m into meta-3D printing.

Actually, one of the guys I worked with on my last IT contract job had two 3D printers: one that broke down, and its replacement… which he used to 3D print parts to get the first one working again.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Well, that’s the first step towards self-replicating machines. Soon we’ll have self-replicating monoliths and they’ll gather ’round Jupiter and cause it to implode and become a second sun in our solar system. Now look what we’ve done!

Flack
    Participant

I need to study up on 3D modelling. 3D printers aren’t THAT expensive anymore. You can get one that does 4″ cubes for $499 now. And if it’ll do 4″ cubes, that means it’ll do 3 3/4″ action figures… 🙂

I’ve wondered in recent years how long it’ll be before people start pirating action figures. You know it’ll happen: it just takes one person with access to a good collection or two, and one of those handheld 3D scanners that the toy companies use, and suddenly there’ll be a torrent file floating around with the 3D printable pieces for, say, every vintage Kenner figure. Especially as the technology like HP’s 3D printers, which do multiple colors of material, is refined – you could just download Yak Face or a Blue Snaggletooth. Print out the pieces, jam the limbs into the joints, and boom, you’re in business. Perfect? Probably not. Probably still distinguishable from an original. But for people who are tired of being told they’ll have to shell out a few hundred for Yak Face? It’ll do. It’ll do.

I have a feeling the toy manufacturers will briefly become the RIAA when this happens: sue everyone in existence. They’ll probably find this thread, and send assassins back in time to off me with bullets shaped like Yak Face’s hea+++CARRIER LOST

Flack
    Participant

ICJ and I were talking a while back about what kind of bonuses he could include in a deluxe version of his games and we came across this thread:

http://news.toyark.com/2013/05/21/3d-printing-action-figures-is-this-the-future-of-the-toy-industry-87590

Here are 3D scanners capable of scanning action figures in the $400-$500 range.

http://cubify.com/products/sense

Still too expensive for “hobbyist” but getting there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed