Lawrence Kasdan ready to be finished with Star Wars?

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Lawrence Kasdan ready to be finished with Star Wars?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Say it isn’t so, Larry. I trust your dramatic instincts more than I do George’s or JJ’s. [LINK]

In an interview with German tabloid Bild, Kasdan is quoted as saying that, counting the Han Solo project, “I have now made four Star Wars movies. That’s more than enough.” He added that he had little interest in being involved in the Solo movie, but that his family were so excited about the idea for him, he agreed to co-write the screenplay with his son Jon Kasdan.

Kasdan, who co-wrote 1980’s The Empire Strikes Back and 1983’s Return of the Jedi has been attached to Disney’s revival of the Star Wars franchise since early 2013, initially signing on to write and produce one of the studio’s spin-off properties before teaming with director J.J. Abrams to replace Michael Arndt as screenwriter for what was then called Star Wars: Episode VII in October of that year.

Two words that still give me hope:
    “German tabloid”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I can’t imagine he’s a young man anymore, and being part of such a huge production is probably exhausting for him. He should teach his son everything he knows about script writing, and in the fullness of time maybe Jon will have a son and teach him everything he was taught about screenwriting, thus keeping the “master and student” lineage alive.

I wonder why Jake Kasdan isn’t getting in on this action? Jake wrote and directed one of my favorite nobody-else-likes-it movies, Zero Effect (1999, starring Bill Pullman in his weirdest pre-Torchwood role, and Ben Stiller), which I adore from a storytelling and a visual standpoint. Maybe Star Wars is “too corporate” for Jake, I dunno. I like the idea of the Kasdan dynasty taking over, because if all else fails, they can ask the old man for advice.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I didn’t realize he directed that movie, I loved that one too. It was an interesting way to bring a Sherlock Holmes-type character into the modern age, and it’s always weird to see Ben Stiller playing a non-comedy role.

@Steve W wrote:

it’s always weird to see Ben Stiller playing a non-comedy role.

He’s surprisingly good at playing it straight; I also put John Cusack in this category, though I think people are more accustomed to Cusack doing dramatic roles than Stiller at this point.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Meh, I used to like Cusack until I read the way he acted towards Savage Steve Holland (the writer/director) after he saw the screening of Better Off Dead for the first time.
    http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000134.php

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed