Killjoys

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’m basically in the same boat. I don’t really care about the main characters. Sometimes they introduce a new character and I get interested and then…they kill off that character. Or they disappear entirely. Bastards. Screw them. I’m four or five episodes behind and I have no incentive to catch up.

Dark Matter, on the other hand, is retaining my interest. It’s no longer “must see TV” but I still keep up to date on the show. This “invasion from another universe” idea is not that terribly interesting. The idea is valid but I think they did a poor job implementing it especially when they go in a completely different direction in the very next episode. Sure, they need to resolve that dangling thread with “four” hanging from the end of it, but to do a sudden U turn like that? Hmmmph.

Must see TV for me right now? People of Earth. Love that show.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

People of Earth looks really interesting, I need to find the old episodes and watch them. I might have downloaded a few but never pulled the trigger. I didn’t hear much about it at the time, but I’ve since seen assorted promos on Youtube and it looks thoroughly weird. My kind of weird.

It feels like Dark Matter is running out of stuff to stir up viewer’s interest, and they’re throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. The “invasion from another universe” idea is an old trope that they did nothing interesting with. And the creators of that show are usually really great at subverting and twisting tired tropes into something entertaining.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

he “invasion from another universe” idea is an old trope that they did nothing interesting with.

Exactly. They got a giant crowbar and just jammed that trope in there. You can still see the marks left from that thing. The invaders from another universe did give me this H.P. Lovecraft vibe which, for me, made it a little interesting just because I can only remember it being done a couple times (Babylon 5 and a couple Diskworld novels) – outside of Lovecraft, of course.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed