Killjoys

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Okay, I’m not a big fan of SyFy Channel, but I’ll have to give them credit, their desire to go back to their core programming is pretty laudable, and Killjoys is the result. I’ve got to say, it’s actually pretty decent. Past SyFy Channel shows have looked super-cheap (Flash Gordon, anyone?) and I’d have to say that after seeing the first episode it’s still looking a tiny bit cheap but they’re at least being creative. The channel’s other new show Dark Matter has been compared to Firefly, but I think Killjoys has that feel in its setting – there’s a bit of a “wild west in space” vibe coming through. The main characters work pretty well without that “these are the only decent actors in all of Canada” feel that past SyFy shows have had, with the same actors showing up on every show filmed in Vancouver.

Storyline-wise, it’s the tale of a couple government sanctioned bounty hunters who have been joined by the male character’s brother. It’s a future where corporations are essentially governments on these far-off worlds, there’s some rebellion quietly brewing against them, a few hints of intrigue, and the female character has a dark, mysterious past. So, there’s tons of tropes here. But in the pilot they all fit together, I’m pleasantly surprised that this is coming from SyFy.

I’m currently waiting for the second episode to download off iTunes, hopefully it’ll be as good as the first.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Killjoys is decent but I am liking Dark Matter more. Mostly because there is a little bit of a mystery to be solved. Killjoys reminds me a little of Space Rangers which is both a good thing and a bad thing.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

For others here that watch Killjoys too… is it my imagination, or do some of the handguns from the show look suspiciously like repainted Peacekeeper handguns from Farscape?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Hmmm. I hadn’t really noticed but there is a definite similarity in set design to that of Farscape.

I decided that I wasn’t giving Killjoys a far shake and I was negative about it after only two episodes (one and a half, actually since I was distracted throughout most of the second episode). Over the past two days I, essentially, binge watched all seven episodes available (which meant I re-watched the pilot and the 2nd episode I panned). The result? My opinion of the show has improved considerably.

My dim views of the pilot episode and the second episode still stand, however. Those episodes gave me the impression that the show was nothing more than a sci-fi version of a western featuring bounty-hunters. The characters were cardboard cut-outs and the plots of the shows were rehashes of so many other TV shows (the second episode featured organ harvesters – wait! They’re ripping off Voyager? Gasp!).

My opinion of the show improved when I watched the 3rd and 4th episodes. I realized that the show had more depth than I originally thought. I saw some universe building going on with the 9 families and the company and so on. I also was beginning to see some insights to the characters and some of their behavior was beginning to make sense.

The show has actually entertained me and I plan to continue watching it. It’s not great literature by a long shot but it keeps me interested.

Still not as good as Dark Matter. 😎

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I have to agree with you, it’s fairly pale in comparison to Dark Matter.

There’s a lot of clumsy world-building in Killjoys, but it’s so awkward that I haven’t bothered to remember a lot of it. Compare that to the world-building in Firefly, where it all seems fairly natural. It’s like the Killjoys people watched Firefly and ham-fistedly tried to do something similar.

Killjoys renewed for a second season of 10 episodes. [LINK]

Though both shows often hit on some of the same territory, Killjoys was arguably the better product of the two. The first season had great humor and action, plus it took a “show don’t tell” approach to world-building. It has that Firefly vibe, but not in a way that it feels like it’s trying to tread on Joss Whedon’s classic. If you missed the first season, it’s well worth tracking down — especially now that we know it’ll be back next year.

Strange – that’s two very different opinions of the show’s universe-building. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I kind of assumed it’d get picked up for a second run. I’ve heard a lot of people talking about how much they liked it. It’s a pretty good little show. I’m personally happy because we’ll get some explanation for the season finale cliffhanger, we won’t be hung out to dry like with the last episode of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Strange – that’s two very different opinions of the show’s universe-building. 😆

Frankly, if you compare Killjoys and Dark Matter’s universe-building to other shows like Continuum, Babylon 5, Star Trek and other shows (Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, and on and on), they pretty much both suck. In both series we’ve seen only a glimpse of what their world is like. Based on past experience that just means they haven’t set anything up: all we see is a cardboard facade. I imagine the bible for both shows are rather thin.

What we have seen – and why I think fans like both shows – is that they spent a lot of time and effort developing the characters in the show. All that other stuff about Galactic Empire, big banks, controlling families and so on is fluff that the writers only use as McGuffins. They don’t care about that stuff even though some fans do.

If there is going to be a debate about whether Killjoys or Dark Matter have better universe building, I would say they are arguing about who is king of the dung pile.

Killjoys and Dark Matter both return on July 1st to climb over each other to reach the top of the Syfy Dung Pile. Just FYI. 😎

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Can’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twait
    Can’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twaitcan’twait

Just sayin’

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

They’re going to start filming the new Star Trek up in Toronto soon, so start expecting to see some of the actors from Killjoys and Dark Matter popping up there, since all Canadian productions recycle the same actors through everything.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I want to see that actor who appeared in both Killjoys and Dark Matter to show up on the new Star Trek. That’ll confuse and baffle the fans. Well, maybe.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

You mean the “Sweating Bullets” actor who was the bad guy on Killjoys and a good guy met during their first mission on Dark Matter? He is a Canuck, so there’s a strong possibility he’ll be on the show at some point, I’m willing to wager a Coke on it.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Yes, him. The chances are slim considering the fan reaction when they spotted him on both shows. The Star Trek folks would not want to connect their universe with that of the other two shows. But, then again, they might be clueless about it or just don’t care.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So, I’ve tried, but I just can’t get back in to Killjoys this season. I kept up with it in the last season but felt a bit underwhelmed at where the story was going. With the huge gap between the end of their short season run and the third season, I’ve forgotten the majority of the plot. I liked the show at first, but I can’t maintain interest. Anybody else?

I still keep up with Dark Matter. Even though they used up a lot of the “last 30 seconds plot twist” ideas that they had, they’ve managed to keep the show interesting based mostly on the quality of the characters. I don’t care that they’re shoehorning in new mysteries this season to extend the story, I’m still enjoying it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed