JMS does Ellison

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Gee, how did these two start working together? [LINK]

For the first time, iconic sci-fi writer Harlan Ellison has allowed a film to be developed based on Repent, Harlequin! Said The Ticktock Man, the seminal story he published in Galaxy magazine in 1965. Ellison has granted an option directly to J. Michael Straczynski, whose recent credits include World War Z, Thor, the TV series Babylon 5 and Sense8, the upcoming Netflix series he is doing with Lana and Andy Wachowski.

How did Straczynski do it? He had to deliver a finished screenplay to Ellison, whose credits range from The Outer Limits and Star Trek to being acknowledged in many sci-fi works including James Cameron’s The Terminator, and serving as a Babylon 5 consultant. Only then did Ellison grant the option.

The comments are, for once… interesting. Seems that both JMS and Mr. Ellison have fans and detractors… quite possibly for the same reasons.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

How old is Ellison now? I know he looks terrible lately, he was at Walter Koenig’s star on Hollywood Boulevard events, and people said he looked like a bone-white shambling corpse. Like one of the commenters said, he probably wants to see his story put to film before he dies. And knowing him, it’ll be for the sole reason that he wants to badmouth one more adaptation of his before he croaks. He’s saving up his bile for one last hurrah.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

@Steve W wrote:

How old is Ellison now?

Harlan Ellison was born on May 27, 1934 (age 79).

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

It’s odd that the writer of the article would ask the question: “How did Straczynski do it?” when it’s clear to anyone who knows anything about Harlan and JMS can answer the question. One reader did just that in the comments section:

Ellison was Conceptual Consultant for B5′s five-year run and he and JMS have been friends ever since, so I’m sure that played a role in this: Ellison wouldn’t option anything to anyone he couldn’t trust, and Joe wouldn’t write a spec script for just anyone, either.

Perhaps it was a rhetorical question since the writer answered (poorly) the question himself. Nevertheless, I didn’t think the story was written very well – especially when the people in the comment section knew more than the article writer.

Anyway, it would be cool to see one of Harlan’s stories reach the movie screen. I would personally want to see some of his other stuff reach the screen first (“I Have No Mouth and I must Scream” is the top of my list – I know there is a video game but I want to see a movie of it). So far “A Boy and his Dog” is the only story of his that has reached the silver screen (I think). There are a couple stories that became TV episodes (“Shatterday” comes to mind) but I would rather see a movie, if possible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.