Jeff Lynne’s ELO on tour

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Mr. Blue Sky Jeff Lynne’s ELO on tour

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Man, the news just keeps on coming. These UK tour dates come from the Showdown ELO mailing list.

JEFF LYNNE’S ELO UK TOUR 2016!

April 2016

Tue 05 Liverpool Echo Arena
    Thu 07 Nottingham Capital FM Arena
    Sat 09 Leeds First Direct Arena
    Sun 10 Manchester Arena
    Tue 12 Glasgow The SSE Hydro
    Thu 14 Newcastle Metro Radio Arena
    Sat 16 Birmingham Genting Arena
    Sun 17 Birmingham Genting Arena
    Wed 20 London The O2
    Fri 22 London The O2
    Fri 29 Dublin 3 Arena

May 2016

Sun 01 Amsterdam Ziggo Dome
    Tue 03 Zurich Hallenstadion
    Thu 05 Oberhausen Koenig Pilsener Arena

We’ll see how this plan holds up – it’s months out, and I suppose there’s still room for a Zoom-style tour meltdown. These are not small venues.

This shows some promise for any eventual US tour that materializes. Again from the Showdown mailing list:

As ELO fans worldwide await the November 13th release of Jeff Lynne’s
    ELO Alone In The Universe, Jeff has announced an intimate live show
    at New York City’s Irving Plaza on November 20! General On Sale
    tickets available Friday, November 13, at 10am EST.

Irving Plaza is a general admission standing venue that has a max
    capacity of just over 1,000. Tickets will go very fast.

He might be able to fill arenas in the UK, but it’d be a good idea to continue a smaller-venue focus in the States. If he lands anywhere as close as Little Rock, Tulsa or OKC, I’m in.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I have no doubt Jeff will fill the venue in New York. Small venue, big city. Easy peasy.

Still a long wait to see if they get enough ticket sales to keep the big venues in England and Scotland in business. How long before the first Zoom Concert date did they cancel the tour? That would be the time frame to look for to see if the concert tout is a go.

Perhaps they’ll get the necessary ticket sales there since Jeff is a much bigger star there than here in the U.S.A. I think Jeff can easily fill a 5,000 size venue pretty much anywhere in America but he’d be hard pressed to get 50,000 to gather to see him. Whether Jeff likes it or not, he’s in the same position as other bands like: Yes, Moody Blues, Styx and so on. ELO is a nostalgia band and he’ll see mostly middle-aged people in his audience. They have the money and will make the time to see him but they aren’t as numerous as his management thinks.

With Jeff’s noted dislike of travel and performing in concerts, I expect the number of dates in the U.S. will be limited which will certainly drive the numbers up. If he limits his concerts to big cities like L.A., Chicago, Dallas and so on, he might be able to fill a stadium or two.

If ELO does announce concert dates in the U.S. when do you think the concerts will happen? June? July? August?

@ubikuberalles wrote:

July?

If he wants to hit somewhere around here close to my birthday, that’d be lovely.

If Jeff’s management and the BBC are both thinking ahead, they’ll drop this BBC2 concert on DVD/BD a few weeks before the tour proper to whet everyone’s appetite with a sampling of how awesome the live show could be at its absolute best, real orchestra* and all.

I still twitch involuntarily when I hear the real submarine, but other than that, they sound amazing live.

* I doubt this will be something that happens very often.

Looks like we might expect ELO to hit the States in late summer or fall. I’ve always said that what ELO needed to tour was something like the Moody Blues or ELO Part II shows that were played with a local orchestra as backing…and hey…guess what they’re doing, at least in L.A.?

THE LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES

JEFF LYNNE’S ELO TO PERFORM THREE SHOWS
    AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL FIREWORKS FINALE

September 9, 10 & 11, 2016

Full 2016 Summer Season to be Announced on February 9

Los Angeles, CA (February 4, 2016) – The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association announced today that Jeff Lynne’s ELO is set to perform three shows at the Hollywood Bowl for the Fireworks Finale on September 9, 10 & 11. Joined by the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra Strings, conducted by Thomas Wilkins, these concerts mark the first time the band has played at the iconic venue. With the exception of a club show to celebrate the release of the album, this is also the first time Jeff Lynne’s ELO has performed in Los Angeles in nearly 30 years.

Tickets for the Hollywood Bowl 2016 summer season will be available online at HollywoodBowl.com or via phone at 323.850.2000 on the following dates:

– New subscriptions and group sales will be available February 9, 2016.
    – “Five or More” packages will be available March 15, 2016.
    – The Hollywood Bowl box office opens for single ticket sales in early May 2016.

Twitter photos of some of the tour merch that’s appearing on the UK leg of the tour. I’m torn between “DO WANT” and “you want HOW MUCH for that!?”

I’d really dig it if they made pins out of those keychains. But those prices…yeesh.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Actually, Earl, those prices are about on par for concert prices. 25£, at the current exchange rate is about $35. Pricey, but that’s what I paid for my Moody Blues T-shirt. My TMBG T-shirts only cost me $25 each (bargain!) but they are not a big name band like Moody Blues and ELO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed