Japanese arcade pioneer, ‘Father of Pac-Man’ has died

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Arcade Gaming Japanese arcade pioneer, ‘Father of Pac-Man’ has died

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Associated Press:

Japanese arcade pioneer, ‘Father of Pac-Man’ has died

The Japanese games company Bandai Namco says Masaya Nakamura, the “Father of Pac-Man” who founded the Japanese video game company behind the hit creature-gobbling game, has died at age 91.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Terrible news, though I wish the press would stop referring to him as the “Father of Pac-Man”. Grandfather perhaps; I’ve even seen numerous outlets refer to him as the creator of Pac-Man. (One thing the movie Pixels got correct is that Pac-Man was, in fact, created and executed by Toru Iwitani; Nakamura founded the company in 1955 that manufactured Pac-Man in Japan and owns the IP.)

I already add him to the timeline and tried to be a bit more specific about the role he played in the company’s history than most of the media seem to be, including some info that’s already documented but not necessarily well-known (i.e. Namco was distributing Atari games in Japan before getting into the game themselves, so to speak). *shrug*

Nakamura started the company with two mechanical horse rides placed on a building rooftop. He didn’t do badly for himself…but he’s not “Pac-Daddy”. 🙁

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed