Japanese arcade pioneer, ‘Father of Pac-Man’ has died

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Arcade Gaming Japanese arcade pioneer, ‘Father of Pac-Man’ has died

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Associated Press:

Japanese arcade pioneer, ‘Father of Pac-Man’ has died

The Japanese games company Bandai Namco says Masaya Nakamura, the “Father of Pac-Man” who founded the Japanese video game company behind the hit creature-gobbling game, has died at age 91.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Terrible news, though I wish the press would stop referring to him as the “Father of Pac-Man”. Grandfather perhaps; I’ve even seen numerous outlets refer to him as the creator of Pac-Man. (One thing the movie Pixels got correct is that Pac-Man was, in fact, created and executed by Toru Iwitani; Nakamura founded the company in 1955 that manufactured Pac-Man in Japan and owns the IP.)

I already add him to the timeline and tried to be a bit more specific about the role he played in the company’s history than most of the media seem to be, including some info that’s already documented but not necessarily well-known (i.e. Namco was distributing Atari games in Japan before getting into the game themselves, so to speak). *shrug*

Nakamura started the company with two mechanical horse rides placed on a building rooftop. He didn’t do badly for himself…but he’s not “Pac-Daddy”. 🙁

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed