J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars Episode IX

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars Episode IX

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I was about to send in my demo reel to see if I could direct it. I mean, my schedule’s pretty open here. [LINK]
    BB8

Disney and Lucasfilm are turning to a familiar face to take the helm of “Star Wars: Episode IX” following the exit of former director Colin Trevorrow.

J.J. Abrams, who helped reboot the franchise with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” has landed the directing job, Variety has learned. He will also co-write the film with Chris Terrio, according to a press release on StarWars.com.

Trevorrow and Disney could not see eye-to-eye in regards to the script of the last installment in this latest “Star Wars” trilogy, sources say, and decided to part ways before getting further along in pre-production. The plan was to begin production by February 2018, but even if Abrams agreed to come back as director, meeting that start point still seems like a challenge.

Lucasfilm and Disney have still had an issue with directors, dating back to when Tony Gilroy had to step in to shoot a significant amount of footage for “Rogue One” before its release. The studio has also fired Josh Trank from a standalone “Star Wars” pic and moved on from Lord and Miller, even though the film was far from done shooting.

I wonder how many more of these incidents there’ll be before the balancing act between “it’ll make my career if I direct a Star Wars movie” and “it’ll ruin my career if I get booted off of the Star Wars movie I’m directing” starts tilting solidly toward self/career preservation instead of prestige? Because a really questionable track record is shaping up here.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Aaaaaaand suddenly Episode IX is a December film again. [LINK]

Disney and Lucasfilm have pushed the release date of “Star Wars: Episode IX” from May 24, 2019 to Dec. 20, 2019.

Variety reported that Disney had already been looking to push production from February to June and that the release date would likely move even after how quickly the studio found a replacement director.

Disney has replaced the film on the release schedule with the live-action film “Aladdin” directed by Guy Ritchie, which will now open on May 24.

Not sure about anyone else, but I’ve gotten used to Star Wars being a Christmas thing now. I mean, it kind of always was.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Not sure about anyone else, but I’ve gotten used to Star Wars being a Christmas thing now. I mean, it kind of always was.

Not me, man. Star Wars was always a pre-summer thing for me. When they put the Force Awakens on a December release I was “WTF??!! That’s not right.” I will NEVER get used to it being a December release.

At least the Han Solo movie will be in May…until there is a falling out between the Ron Howard and Disney and they delay it until December. 🙁

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed