I've heard of enterprise PCs, but…

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Collectibles I've heard of enterprise PCs, but…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

…nothing quite this wonderfully literal. [LINK]

Enterprise computing

As the result of what we can only assume was a Star Trek-induced Netflix binge, the design team at Lenovo showcased its latest addition to the PC market, and it’s in the shape of the USS Enterprise. Modeled after the 23rd-century Federation starship, the Lenovo Titanium Enterprise NCC-1701A is a massive metal construction PC poised to freeze Star Trek fans in their tracks. The exterior design of the machine isn’t all that’s impressive, either, taking a look inside reveals quite a few surprises.

The Lenovo Enterprise PC comes stocked with the aforementioned GeForce RTX 2080 GPU, an overclocked ninth-generation Intel CPU, 32GB of DDR4 memory, a 1 TB M.2 SSD, and a 2 TB HDD. The Enterprise is also set to receive transmissions with a custom high-performance LAN and Wi-Fi setup. It has been made clear that this PC isn’t just a showpiece; it is aimed at serious gamers with a bit of a Star Trek obsession.

Trekkies looking to purchase the PC starship will find it starting for around $2,180, but it is only available in China. Lenovo has yet to comment whether or not the Titanium Enterprise will be traveling to any other countries.

Enterprise computing

That’s about $2,190 more than I have on me at any given moment, but it’s neat to look at.

ZLothZLoth

I was expected some underwhelming specs on this one, but instead, I’m surprised. The nVidia 2080 RTX is literally the second-best consumer-level CPU available today on the market (released to retail in September, 2018), 32GB of RAM is more than plenty, although we don’t know the CPU. Looking at NewEgg…

* nVidia 2080 video card – $800-$870 (this was released in mid-September)
    * 1TB m.2 drive – $170 . For comparison, the 2.5″ version is around $160 now.
    * 2TB 2.5″ drive – starting at $80
    * 32GB of RAM – $215

That’s $1,265 in parts right there.

However, I’m still not a fan of super-custom cases like this. Something tells me that some compromise took place here. I prefer my plain-jane cases.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

Steve WSteve W
    Participant

The filling in of the space between the warp nacelles is a total turn-off for me. It ruins the classic shape of the Enterprise. Maybe they could have put those components into the base?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.