I've heard of enterprise PCs, but…

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Collectibles I've heard of enterprise PCs, but…

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

…nothing quite this wonderfully literal. [LINK]

Enterprise computing

As the result of what we can only assume was a Star Trek-induced Netflix binge, the design team at Lenovo showcased its latest addition to the PC market, and it’s in the shape of the USS Enterprise. Modeled after the 23rd-century Federation starship, the Lenovo Titanium Enterprise NCC-1701A is a massive metal construction PC poised to freeze Star Trek fans in their tracks. The exterior design of the machine isn’t all that’s impressive, either, taking a look inside reveals quite a few surprises.

The Lenovo Enterprise PC comes stocked with the aforementioned GeForce RTX 2080 GPU, an overclocked ninth-generation Intel CPU, 32GB of DDR4 memory, a 1 TB M.2 SSD, and a 2 TB HDD. The Enterprise is also set to receive transmissions with a custom high-performance LAN and Wi-Fi setup. It has been made clear that this PC isn’t just a showpiece; it is aimed at serious gamers with a bit of a Star Trek obsession.

Trekkies looking to purchase the PC starship will find it starting for around $2,180, but it is only available in China. Lenovo has yet to comment whether or not the Titanium Enterprise will be traveling to any other countries.

Enterprise computing

That’s about $2,190 more than I have on me at any given moment, but it’s neat to look at.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I was expected some underwhelming specs on this one, but instead, I’m surprised. The nVidia 2080 RTX is literally the second-best consumer-level CPU available today on the market (released to retail in September, 2018), 32GB of RAM is more than plenty, although we don’t know the CPU. Looking at NewEgg…

* nVidia 2080 video card – $800-$870 (this was released in mid-September)
    * 1TB m.2 drive – $170 . For comparison, the 2.5″ version is around $160 now.
    * 2TB 2.5″ drive – starting at $80
    * 32GB of RAM – $215

That’s $1,265 in parts right there.

However, I’m still not a fan of super-custom cases like this. Something tells me that some compromise took place here. I prefer my plain-jane cases.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The filling in of the space between the warp nacelles is a total turn-off for me. It ruins the classic shape of the Enterprise. Maybe they could have put those components into the base?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.