It’s Official, ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Is A Box Office Flop

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek 22nd / 23rd Century It’s Official, ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Is A Box Office Flop

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Inquisitr:

It’s Official, ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Is A Box Office Flop

Star Trek Beyond hit theaters with high hopes on July 22, and following a stellar opening weekend, ran into a brick wall with audiences.

While it’s uncertain where the blame lies for that — there are theories that will be covered in a moment — the question remained as to whether it would be considered eligible for the dreaded four-letter F-word, “flop.”

What does it take to be a flop? There are two schools of thought. Firstly, you don’t make your money back. Secondly, you may or may not make your money back but you severely underperform.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Star Trek Movies at the Box Office – Box Office Mojo

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

I think the “gay Sulu” angle is a red herring – by now, I think that may still be infuriating as many as twelve people globally. I daresay that all the chest-beating over the Axanar lawsuit and the resulting boycott may have had more of a splash than the “gay Sulu” thing.

I blame Into Darkness for Beyond‘s underperformance. Even though it made a profit at the time, there have been years for people to stew over its lack of originality…and they simply decided…”enough”.

I also think the general existing fan base is far more excited about Discovery than they are about the JJverse, or the Kelvin Timeline, or whatever you want to call it.

Whatever’s going on, it’s definitely people voting with their dollars. Ironically, I’d say Bryan Fuller’s efforts have a lot to do with what happens with the next movie.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It also has to do with the movie industry’s shady accounting practices that have drastically inflated movie making costs. Plus, lots of high-profile movies this summer (like they mentioned, Ghostbusters came out the week before Beyond) are crowding out a lot of viewers who might not be able to go see every new release they want to.

Chris Pine was saying that they can’t make a more cerebral Trek film in this day and age because it would turn modern audiences off. And that’s kind of what they were aiming for a little bit more with Beyond – I wonder if that had something to do with it. Not enough explosions or action for the knuckle-draggers to switch off the NASCAR race or stop jerking off to gun magazines to go to see a Star Trek movie.

I don’t think the thing about Sulu being gay is a big deal. If they didn’t even bring it up in the media, I wouldn’t have even thought that about him, I’d just think he was greeting his relative or something. I think the gay community will focus on that being the reason the movie failed, though.

Honestly, the movie was just okay. It wasn’t great or anything, it was fine. There were quite a few moments where I thought they could have put more thought into it – the Franklin being on top of a mountain, high enough that they can push it off and get up to speed during the Wile E. Coyote-esque plummet makes me think it must have taken forever for the alien woman to climb up to it and live in it every day – things like that. Or like how the alien swarm seemed to multiply to a ridiculous degree in the final scenes, since there only seemed to be hundreds of swarm ships in previous scenes, it made me wonder where they found millions of pilots to fly them.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Maybe it comes down to one simple thing, “Not Interested”. Followed up by “I’ll watch it on video”.

And, to be honest, the only film that I wanted to see in the theater this year was not Captain America: Civil War, X-Men: Apocalypse, or Independence Day: Resurgence, but rather the 2016 release of a Studio Ghibli film that was originally released in 1991 and shown on TCM in 2005: Only Yesterday. I completely missed that release.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Yeah, not interested might be a good way to sum up most people’s opinions when the commercials and trailers for Beyond have Kirk blasting around an alien planet on a dirtbike with the Beastie Boys blaring in the background. The trailers didn’t exactly make the movie look like it would be Trekky enough. Plus, they seemed determined to give the story away in the commercials, with one put out around a week before the movie’s release that gave away that the bad guy used to be a human in Starfleet, which was supposed to be a plot twist. Brilliant.

k8track
    Participant

I honestly had planned to completely avoid this movie after seeing the first trailer. I was interested not one whit. The thing that made me go see it was Anton Yelchin’s death. After that, I was feeling sentimental. The movie was very underwhelming. I’m so glad I didn’t see that last trailer because the plot twist was one of the few cool things I liked (I also liked the new female alien, can’t remember her name). That was about it, though.

The Treks that I was actually excited about — Continues and Phase II/The New Voyages — are apparently no longer (I’m not sure about Continues, though). So I’m just very ambivalent.

If a fourth JJverse Trek movie happens… it’ll happen at least partly thanks to Chinese investment. [LINK]

Paramount Pictures has announced a $1 billion financing deal with two Chinese firms, strengthening the U.S. studio’s ties with a lucrative but difficult market.

Huahua Media and Shanghai Film Group will put money into all Paramount’s films over the next three years, the companies said in a statement. The Chinese firms will even set up an office on the Paramount lot later this year.

Paramount has enjoyed success with Huahua in the past. The two companies partnered in 2014 on the marketing for “Transformers: Age of Extinction,” which became the first movie to top $300 million at the Chinese box office.

It remains to be seen whether this new deal can replicate that kind of success. China’s red hot box office cooled off significantly in 2016. Sales increased just 3.7%, a dramatic plunge from 2015’s 48% growth, according to official figures.

But it might not happen. [LINK]

Roker threw Quinto a question asking if he had any “insight as to what is coming up” for the next Star Trek movie. Like his co-star Chris Pine’s recent comments, Qunito too seems in the dark as to the current status, although he does indicate there had been work done on a script, saying:

I don’t know Al. We are waiting. I know they were working on a script for another one and we will see how that all plays out. I’m hopeful that we will do another [Star Trek film], but there [are] no guarantees.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I know that US box office didn’t quite reach the amount of money they spent on the film, but internationally it did make something like $343 million so it did make its money back, unlike the last Next Generation movie. Insurrection, was it? I don’t remember, never saw it, I gave up after seeing First Contact. Anyhoo, just because a movie doesn’t live up to expectations doesn’t mean it’s a flop. The movie was going to take a hit no matter what, following the critically panned Star Trek Into Darkness. They needed a really good follow-up to that one to wash the bad taste out of everybody’s mouth, and Star Trek Beyond was just okay. It wasn’t great, it wasn’t bad. They again leaned into the trope of having the Enterprise get destroyed, which wasn’t entirely necessary. The trailers led with that cliche, that probably wasn’t a great move. Also having your trailers stuffed with loud Beastie Boys music while Kirk rides around on a dirt bike doesn’t exactly instill confidence in your movie.

Paramount really needs to follow in Disney’s footsteps. Make a division exclusively for Star Trek, staffed with Trekkies. Disney did that with Marvel, and they’ve had nothing but winners. Meanwhile, the new head of Paramount wanted the show Enterprise to have a boy band on each episode to bring in new viewers. Paramount needs to staff up with people who genuinely care about the property they’re working on, otherwise they’ll just keep failing.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

@Steve W wrote:

Paramount really needs to follow in Disney’s footsteps. Make a division exclusively for Star Trek, staffed with Trekkies. Disney did that with Marvel, and they’ve had nothing but winners.

+1

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

If a fourth JJverse Trek movie fails to happen… it’ll fail to happen at least partly thanks to a lack of Chinese investment. [LINK]

As exclusively reported by FilmTake in March, Huahua Media’s $1 billion pledge to finance 25% of Paramount’s film slate collapsed. However, reports are still circulating that the deal might eventually close – this is fiction bordering on deception.

Last week Oriental Times Media purchased a 51% controlling stake in Huahua Media for $41 million. The company reported a net profit in 2016 of $6 million on only $19 million in revenue. Don’t be confused by the company name; Oriental Times Media manufactures machine tools, formerly known as Guilin Guanglu Measuring Instrument Co.

If reports from China are to be believed (clearly they cannot), a company with $19 million in revenue was going to finance $1 billion worth of Paramount’s slate.

The only thing more ridiculous about this proposition is that Paramount Pictures and Viacom are foolish enough to fall for the ruse. Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore is so desperate to fill the coffers at Paramount that he is willing to entertain fantasies by his friend and Huahua Media Chairman Kenny Huang.

If this falls through, you can expect major movies like the next Star Trek film to fall behind schedule…or off the schedule.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

There are plenty of movies that are adapted so that they can be shown in the China theaters. Star Trek and Star Wars aren’t exactly the most adaptable properties.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It’s always amusing when a movie is clearly trying to woo a Chinese audience. I saw Valerian a few days ago, and there was obvious, somewhat gratuitous stuff shoehorned in to appeal to the Chinese who apparently also footed part of the bill.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Okay, here is a headline I never expected to see, ever: Quentin Tarantino Hatches ‘Star Trek’ Movie Idea; Paramount, JJ Abrams To Assemble Writers Room [LINK]
    WHAT

Sources said that Tarantino has come up with a great idea for a Star Trek movie at Paramount. After sharing his idea with JJ Abrams (who himself is busy prepping Star Wars Episode IX), I’ve heard the plan is to assemble a writers room of scribes who’ll hear Tarantino’s take and begin to put together a movie. If it all works out, Tarantino might direct it, with Abrams producing.

I already knew that 2017 takes place in the Bizarro World, but…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed