It sucks to be Jake Lloyd

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars It sucks to be Jake Lloyd

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Over the years, I’ve wondered whatever became of “little Annie”, especially with an entire generation of fandom bagging on his performance. Apparently it ain’t pretty. [LINK]

The youngster decided to take early retirement from acting as he was no longer able to fit in at school. He said to a magazine: ‘I’ve learned to hate it when the cameras are pointed at me.’

Jake, whose mother is an entertainment agent, admitted in an interview Scifitv.com that he doesn’t like wacthing the film anymore and he blames George for that.

He said: ‘When you have something like that there’s a lot of expectations for it to meet the standards of the public and I don’t think George did that.’

He’s all of 22 years old now.

I don’t think Episode I is as bad as everyone would have us believe these days, and even then, Lloyd was doing his best with, by all accounts, not a lot of direction. Whatever you may think of the movie itself, I don’t think it’s fair to lay the blame entirely on Lloyd’s plate. Everyone seems to recognize Lucas’ shortcomings as a director, but I can see where it’s made Jake Lloyd a very bitter 22-year-old to have people constantly saying or writing “Hey, you were the worst thing about this movie. Well, aside from Jar Jar…” since he was 10.

Now it sucks even more to be Jake Lloyd. Given in to the Dark Side, he has. [LINK]

Jake Lloyd, who played young Anakin Skywalker in 1999’s Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace, was arrested in Charleston, S.C., TMZ reports.

Lloyd, 26, was driving when sheriff’s deputies attempted to get him to pull over, with the chase then lasting several miles, according to TMZ. Eventually, Lloyd reportedly lost control of the vehicle, driving off the road and hitting several trees.

He was arrested for reckless driving, failure to stop, resisting arrest and driving without a license and is currently in custody.

Podracing, you are not, young Skywalker.

And here I was hoping that the guy would eventually make peace with his “previous life” as an actor, embrace his place in Star Wars history (and make a buck off it), and have a generally un-f#@$ed-up life.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Actors…having un-f#@$ed-up lives! **snort** Good one Earl! 😆

Seriously, though, I do feel for Jake. He doesn’t deserve getting all that flack from the fans. It’s George who wrote the script and directed the movie and he must shoulder the blame.

Jake’s acting was never the issue. He was a better actor than Hayden Christensen, who must have gotten acting lessons from Keenu Reeves.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Zap2It:

‘Star Wars’ Jake Lloyd suffers from schizophrenia, according to new report

TMZ reports that “Star Wars” child star Jake Lloyd suffers from schizophrenia and reportedly abused his mother weeks before his recent car racing arrest.

According to a statement his mother Lisa gave to police after he assaulted her on March 26, Lloyd began showing signs of schizophrenia when when he was 19 years old. Now age 26, his mother claims the family is committed to getting Lloyd more help once he’s released from jail.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I thought he went off to college, last time I’d heard about him. I wonder how that worked out.

Hopefully he’ll be getting the help he needs now. Man, midichlorian overload will mess a guy up. [LINK]

Jake Broadbent, the actor best known for playing Anakin Skywalker as a child in “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace,” has been moved from a jail cell to a psychiatric facility. Broadbent, 27, also known as Jake Lloyd, was arrested last June after allegedly leading South Carolina police on a high-speed chase.

His mother told TMZ that authorities recently decided that Broadbent “needed help more than punishment, because he suffers from schizophrenia.” Broadbent’s mother says she can already see an improvement in her son’s personality since he moved to the psychiatric hospital.

Flack
    Participant

This story almost has a Gary Coleman feel to it. I hope that not only can he get help, but that he can embrace his role as little Ani.

He just needs to be healthy, happy, and at peace. I wouldn’t ask or expect any Star Wars love from Jake. After all, even big Ani isn’t exactly waiting by the phone for Lucasfilm to call. [LINK]

At 19, Hayden Christensen was still baby faced when he was handpicked by George Lucas to lead the new “Star Wars” prequels. The Canadian teen had never set foot on a major film set before shooting “Episode II” in 2002. Everyone, including Lucas, told him that playing Anakin Skywalker would change his life.

Still, Christensen found himself unprepared for sudden fame. He felt undeserving, as if he hadn’t earned his acclaim in any meaningful way. So even though he had an acclaimed starring role in the 2003 plagiarism drama “Shattered Glass” and appeared sporadically in other films, after the release of “Episode III” in 2005, the actor bought some farmland and largely retreated from Hollywood.

After years on his Canadian farm, he’s just now finding his footing back in Hollywood at age 34.

“You can’t take years off and not have it affect your career,” he said. “But I don’t know — in a weird, sort of destructive way, there was something appealing about that to me. There was something in the back of my head that was like, ‘If this time away is gonna be damaging to my career, then so be it. If I can come back afterward and claw my way back in, then maybe I’ll feel like I earned it.'”

I haven’t seen him in anything else, but I also give Hayden more credit than the average Star Wars fan does. Considering that the only directorial notes that George Lucas knows are “faster!” and “more intense!”, Hayden also did the best he could with the role of Anakin… and then did the best he could for himself and unplugged from Hollywood.

And hey, who wouldn’t like to see Hayden glue on the hippie wig one more time and give Kylo Ren what-for? “Back in my day, sonny, we had REAL lightsabers, not this homemade disaster you carry around…” 😆

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

With the above in mind about Lucas’ directing skills, it makes you appreciate the actors in the original trilogy more (and makes me think about how brilliant the casting director was for the original Star Wars).

Also, I’ve been wondering why George directed Episodes 2 and 3. I can see why he wanted to direct Ep. 1 so that the look and feel and the CGI and green screen is done right but he should have let go and let some one else take the reins for the other two movies. The other two movies? We all know how much George hates directing so letting go at this point makes sense, like he did twenty years earlier. Did he think the technical elements still needed his guidance? He obviously didn’t think the actors needed it given his notorious lack of directing skills to human beings.

If someone else directed Episodes 1-3 (with George as producer meddling in all the technical parts that he was focused on) I think we would have gotten much better performances from both Jake and Hayden. I still think that Hayden wouldn’t be that good in the role, but he’d be better.

EDIT: I was reading that perhaps George could get anyone else to direct because he had resigned from the Director’s guild and a couple directors he asked declined. However, that article was speculation and I think they were talking more about the original trilogy and George’s attempt to get Spielberg to direct a Star Wars movie.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I think what others have said about Lucas is true, he’s okay at his job but he need directors, casting people, and a good production staff who can filter or reshape all his ideas into something that can work on the big screen. But when he’s surrounded by “yes men”, nobody’s going to tell him that a character like Jar-Jar is a bad idea. Nobody’s going to point out that his actors look bored and stiff. And his jealousy over Spielberg’s successes and awards made him want to put as much of himself into the prequels as he could, so he wasn’t going to take a back seat this time.

I keep crowing on about it, but once Lucas is shuffled off this mortal coil some really good writers need to get together and collaborate on a new Prequel trilogy. Take their time, don’t rush it into production like The Force Awakens, take a few years and connect the same necessary plot points as the Prequels but change all the small and medium stories to sculpt everything into one coherent story that will feel tragic and solid in the way that Lucas could never pull off back then. And hire actors who are truly capable, rather than actors who have the emotional range of a marionette from Thunderbirds. And most importantly, aim the movies at adults, not children. It was the adults who grew up with Star Wars who felt the most let down when The Phantom Menace came out, since Lucas basically made a kid’s film with the Star Wars name stamped on it. Then Lucas saw how well Titanic did and how the teenage girl audience was potentially huge, and tried to do a sweeping romance in Attack of the Clones that fell totally flat. Revenge of the Sith was the only prequel film that felt like he was trying, mainly because he had to tie up all the plot threads from the previous films.

Honestly it’s not the CG that bothers me about the prequels. All that CG helped build a vision of the pre-Empire Republic that would have been difficult to do without digital effects. Sure it looked a bit shiny and fake in places, but I can overlook that to see the big picture. It’s the actors that have no chemistry together, and apart from Ewan were not capable of carrying scenes. I can’t care about a nice kid who gets corrupted by the Dark Side and becomes the malevolent evil we see in A New Hope, because his story is mishandled so badly. Maybe new people coming in a sifting out all the badness and fortifying the strongest aspects of the prequels can build something new and amazing from them.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

@Steve W wrote:

Honestly it’s not the CG that bothers me about the prequels. All that CG helped build a vision of the pre-Empire Republic that would have been difficult to do without digital effects. Sure it looked a bit shiny and fake in places, but I can overlook that to see the big picture. It’s the actors that have no chemistry together, and apart from Ewan were not capable of carrying scenes. I can’t care about a nice kid who gets corrupted by the Dark Side and becomes the malevolent evil we see in A New Hope, because his story is mishandled so badly. Maybe new people coming in a sifting out all the badness and fortifying the strongest aspects of the prequels can build something new and amazing from them.

That’s a problem that I have with plenty of “modern” films, not just the Star Wars prequels. We have all this eye candy in terms of makeup, spectacular shots, and amazing effects that the most important parts, such as story, writing, and good acting, get treated as an afterthought. Part of the fault is that these big cinema flicks are targeted to 18-34 age group demographic.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The visuals should enhance the story in a scene rather than overshadow it. Which is the problem with a lot of films lately, they look great but don’t carry much weight. It doesn’t help when they have insane, frenetic cuts and transitions that barely let you focus on anybody. Or even worse, shakycam footage. Which happily has fallen out of favor.

@Steve W wrote:

But when he’s surrounded by “yes men”, nobody’s going to tell him that a character like Jar-Jar is a bad idea. Nobody’s going to point out that his actors look bored and stiff.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Anyone notice how we haven’t heard the name Rick McCallum in a long time?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed