I don’t even know where to put this

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who Books I don’t even know where to put this

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Apparently soon to be announced by IDW [LINK]…

@BleedingCool.com wrote:

Bleeding Cool has squirrelled out news of an upcoming crossover that might send certain minds reeling. That in May, IDW are to publish a Doctor Who/Star Trek: The Next Generation crossover series. Featuring The Doctor, Rory, Amy, Captain Picard, Worf, Data, Geordie LaForge, Deanna Troy, Will Riker and the rest. And that this art, featuring the Doctor, Rory and Amy on the bridge of the Enterprise is a cover that will be used in the series.

Of course this kind of meeting has been the subject of fan fiction thousands of times. But there’s a very special something when it becomes official.

IDW is attending the Gallifrey One convention in a week’s time. I’d expect this to be announced there.

In case you can’t tell from the spelling, Bleeding Cool is a comics site, not so much a Star Trek site. 😆

For whatever it’s worth, the first Who/Trek crossover I ever remember reading was back in my days of dialing into a local BBS at 1200 baud. Not exactly a new idea. But getting the licensees on board to “make it so”? That must’ve taken some fast talking.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, they were considering doing a crossover between Doctor Who and Star Trek: Enterprise. It was almost canon for both franchises, instead of a spin-off miniseries comic. And we now know that Star Trek is fictional in the Doctor Who universe, since it was mentioned in the episode Closing Time.

I wonder what storyline they were planning on doing with the DW/Enterprise crossover? And which Doctor they would have used? I would have loved Paul McGann to do it. It would have been great for the Doctor to have the Enterprise crew inside the TARDIS, with T’Pol debating the Doctor that time travel is impossible according to the Vulcans.

I really think the Who/Enterprise crossover talk was all about RTD wanting to make people’s heads explode [LINK]:

I would have loved to have done a Star Trek crossover. The very first year, we talked about it. Then Star Trek finally went off air. Landing the TARDIS on board the Enterprise would have been magnificent. Can you imagine what their script department would have wanted, and what I would have wanted? It would have been the biggest battle.

I don’t think that was any closer to going into a studio than any other piece of crossover fanfic I’ve ever seen.

Still, it could be even weirder. Anyone remember the officially licensed TNG novel that took the Enterprise crew to the planet of the X-Men? 😆

And it’s official… there will be a team-up of enemies as well, as I anticipated way back in 2008:

…a pretty easy match, considering that the Cybermen were assimilating human beings in their earliest stories. I’m betting a large supreme pizza right now that the following line will appear somewhere in the comic:

You will be like us. Resistance is futile.

No one betting against me? Damn. I could use a pizza. Here’s a press release posted at Trekmovie.com. [LINK]

San Diego, CA (February 13, 2012)—In conjunction with BBC Worldwide Consumer Products and CBS Consumer Products, IDW Publishing will make history when two of the greatest science-fiction properties of all time come together in a comic book for the first time. The world’s most popular time traveler teams up with the U.S.S. Enterprise crew in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATION2, taking fans on an adventure where no man has gone before.

“By joining these two sci-fi powerhouses, fans will be taken on the ultimate adventure through time and space,” said Liz Kalodner, executive vice president and general manager of CBS Consumer Products.

Launching in May, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATION2 will feature fan-favorite villains the Borg and the Cybermen as they create an unholy alliance resulting in potential disaster for all humanity. Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise find themselves joining forces with the Doctor and his companions, with the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance.

This eight-issue series will be written by Scott and David Tipton, the authors of critically acclaimed Star Trek: Infestation, with a helping hand from longtime Doctor Who writer Tony Lee, and will feature fully painted artwork by J.K. Woodward (Fallen Angel).

STAR TREK TNG/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATION2 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores in May 2012.

Pretty good interview over at Comic Book resources, but the real gem of the piece is… more artwork! [LINK]

CBR: The Cyberman/Borg mashup is equally awesome as the two cyborg races are virtually identical in terms of philosophy and rules of engagement. What, if any, differences have you discovered between the two races as you’ve been writing the series?

Scott: Again, talking about this too much would give away some of what we have in store. But speaking in generalities, what’s always come across to me as the major difference is that the Cybermen just seem angrier. There’s an emotionality to the Cybermen that sets them apart, despite their claim to be free from emotion. It also tends to be their Achilles’ heel, or at least, it has in the past. What do the Borg want? What do the Cybermen want? And why would they work together? Therein lays the tale…

CBR: And distinctions or similarities between how the Doctor and Captain Picard operate?

Scott: There’s been a lot of talk about how to make these two characters, and by extension, their two series, mesh. It’s a little daunting, admittedly, in that “Next Generation” is science fiction, while “Doctor Who” can sometimes veer more into the realm of science-fantasy. It’s easy to think the two wouldn’t mix, since Captain Picard is so serious while the Doctor is often so funny. But people forget that there were some hilarious moments in “Next Generation,” and that when the Doctor gets serious, he can be downright frightening. I think the contrast between the two is going to be where the real fun is.

CBR: Not sure how much you can share just yet but how does the Doctor come to arrive on the Enterprise?

David: Oh, this is definitely something that we cannot reveal at this point. Sorry. I think it’s safe to say that he arrives on the Enterprise in a way uniquely suited to the Doctor.

Issue #2. Whoa, wait, what??!!?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

¿The fuck?

Sigh… I guess I’ll have to break down and go to a comic book shop now. Or is there any place online I can go to order the series?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed