I actually believed a turkey and a robot dog could fly

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Spinoff Series I actually believed a turkey and a robot dog could fly

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

K-9’s coming to North America. That only took a few years, right? (Great thing is, some nut case is gonna have a book out a little over a year from now with the complete guide…) From the official page on the book o’ the face:

K9 series 1 will be broadcast in Canada on BBC Kids from September 2012 (dates and times to be confirmed). K9 will also see it’s North American debut also in the Fall, details to be announced soon.

K-9, you’re a slow dog… but a good dog.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Wow, it’s finally getting to the US around the time the kids on the show hit their thirties. About time.

Paul Tams expanded on this to the Doctor Who News Page [LINK]…

Bob Baker and I are presently working on the updates for series two and are also entering a new production partnership. Bob will be penning more of the series and plans are for a further 26 episodes.

With the help of a fantastically talented CGi artist I have tweeked K9 for the second series, taking in much of the criticism and likes from the fans. We have already done some test footage of his upgrade. All I can say at present is that I never liked the big ears myself, that was a Disney thing!. We can’t say too much at this stage but K9’s future is looking very healthy.

We hope to make some further announcements regarding start of production etc later this year.

The piece also notes that K-9’s time slot on BBC Kids in Canada will have it running right next to reruns of The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I actually didn’t mind the ears on him, they made his design look more dog-like and iconic, considering his body is now even less canine as the original model and therefore needed something to indicate that he’s based on a dog. I did like the little plaid collar that appeared on him after his regeneration in the last episode, that was a nice little touch and a callback to the original K-9.

I think I’m the other person on the planet who actually digs the redesign. Granted, the big ears made it easy to break bits off the official figure, but there you go.

So help me, I’m rooting for this show to come back, even if the young actors’ age is gonna make my “every season reboots the show” idea sound better and better.

Just announced: K-9 will be part of a SyFy “kids’ block” this fall. Since the show was originally made for Channel Nine in Australia, it has commercial breaks built in, so it won’t be the slice-and-dice exercise that Who and SJA on SyFy were.

I hope this brings in enough money to get the second season into production.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I wonder what else they’ll have on the network’s kids block of shows? Maybe they can unearth Peter David’s old show Space Cases. I know that Australia has had a bunch of vaguely sci-fi themed kids shows in the past,they could possibly air some of those. Since I don’t watch TV to any real extent, I don’t know what else out there fits the criteria.

Turns out the kids’ block never happened… but Syfy IS going to show all of K-9. In fact, they’re going to burn off the entire run of the series in a single day.

Christmas day.

That’s right. Between 10am and 11pm, every episode, in order. I have a feeling this’ll be the only time they run it, because TV ratings-wise, Christmas day is a dumping ground… because who’s bothering to watch TV all day on Christmas? Clearly they’re not expecting it to pop a number anyway.

NEW YORK – December, 2012 – Syfy has acquired U.S. broadcast rights to the 26-part Dr. Who spinoff K9 and will marathon the series in its entirety on Christmas Day — Tuesday, December 25 — from 10AM-11PM ET/PT.

K9 follows the adventures of the robotic canine created by British writers Bob Baker and Dave Martin and first seen in the original 1978 BBC TV series Doctor Who series. The show mixes live action with stunning CG and special effects and pits the robot dog K9 and his teenage friends against a number of human and alien adversaries. The new dog is voiced by the legendary John Leeson, who voiced the original K9 from the 1978 Doctor Who series.

Bob Baker has won a number of BAFTAs for his co-writing of the hugely successful Wallace and Gromit shorts and feature, and together with his business partner Paul Tams,created the new K9 series.

The show has its own facebook page K9 official page and website http://www.k9official.com where fans can find out facts be kept up to date with news and order exclusive merchandise. now available T Shirts, figurines etc.

Now, smart thing would be to switch to something else, like a movie, during the evening time slot of Doctor Who on BBC America.

Guess what? Syfy ain’t smart. But I think you guys knew that.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Waitasec…. it’s good enough for Disney in Europe, but not in the United States…. sigh….

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

It’s not about kids hanging out at the mall and engaging in conspicuous consumerism. It shows kids as smart, resourceful, somewhat tough, and very questioning of authority.

It’ll never fly here… at least not unless it’s under the radar, like a marathon showing on a day when no one’s expected to watch anyway.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I’m caught in the trap in that I want to cancel DirecTV, but I can’t because then the rent goes up. When did television become an exercise in frustration?

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

I just have internet-only cable. My wife watches stuff on her netbook; I watch stuff at my desktop or transfer it to my tablet; there are two TVs with modded Wiis that do a bang-up job as media streamers. Two desktop PCs as media servers on the router. There’s no channel-surfing. Download and watch with purpose.

It frees up so much time for other stuff.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

And, under the oopsie category, I only recorded episode 1 instead of the entire series.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

What’s amazing is that my sister’s family, who love anything science-fiction including Doctor Who, were completely unaware of not only the K-9 marathon, but even the slightest idea of what the show is about or the new look of K-9. I showed my sister the figure I got in the mail yesterday and she had no clue why he looked that way, even though I had given her several episodes of the show on a USB drive a year or so ago. It’s obvious she never bothered watching them. Like I told them, the first three episodes and the last few are really the only ones you need to watch, everything else in the middle is mainly fluff and filler.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I was out of town all Christmas day. The only thing I saw was the second running of the Dr. Who Christmas special.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed