Hyperdrive

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I thought this was worthy of its own thread:

I watched the first episode of series two of Hyperdrive and laughed out loud several times. It’s actually worth a watch, so help me.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I watched the first episode of season 2 only a couple days ago, after watching the finale of Houdini & Doyle. The leader of the Green Javelins plays Arthur Conan Doyle on Houdini & Doyle. That actor has also played the main character in Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency.

I went in to Hyperdrive thinking it would be more like Red Dwarf, which was the wrong mindset. It has its own sense of humor and its own “Britishness”. Once I started watching it for what it was, I really started to love it. It doesn’t hurt that they had some great comedy actors on it. The actor who plays Mr. York is a strong stand-out. He also works with Nick Frost again, in the movie Hot Fuzz.

Yes, Kevin Eldon – he was also in the very weird BBC-made Doctor Who radio drama “Death Comes To Time”, as the seventh Doctor’s companion, if you can picture that. 😆

Did you know that we almost had Mark Gatiss instead of Kevin Eldon? Thankfully they recast after the never-broadcast pilot.

The guest actor you mentioned is Stephen Mangan. I’m a huge fan of his take on Dirk Gently. I’m not a huge fan of the decision to redo Dirk Gently from the ground up for BBC America. What was so bad about the earlier attempt that they couldn’t simply restart that show, with Mangan in the lead role?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I just discovered that Michael Weston, who plays Harry Houdini in Houdini & Doyle, was also the junkie drug dealer ex-friend of Sherlock from the show Elementary (end of season 3). He always seemed familiar to me, it’s good to finally work it out.

Hyperdrive’s pilot had the captain and Mr. York woefully miscast. I did like the aliens, though. I wonder if they re-used them again on the full series, their goofy speech patterns worked well for them.

I’m coming down the homestretch of the remaining episodes, and I haven’t seen them yet. They were just about the only story-related element of the pilot worth carrying forward.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I should have specified the actors in the alien costumes, not the actual alien designs themselves. I liked the actor’s dopey speech patterns.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Oh yes, I remember watching this show a couple years ago. I don’t remember if I watched all the episodes but I think I did. I THINK I saw it on Netflix (not available now) but I only can find episodes on YouTube at the moment (and I’m not going into the dark parts of the Internet to view it).

My memory is vague about he show at the moment but as soon as I read that Nick Frost was in the show, the memories trickled in. Nick was hilarious in the show and I remembered the unrequited love sub-plot but, sadly, little else. I’ll definitely have to re-watch the show.

EDIT: I just reviewed my Netflix streaming log and I did see all of the show back in April 2014. I don’t think I watched the unaired pilot so I need to look for that one.

So, finally finished this series. I remember reading that the writers had a third series outlined, but by that time – i.e. the height of the Tennant era – the BBC had fallen back into the “Doctor Who fulfills all of our sci-fi needs” mindset, and never picked up the show again, and of course the cast scattered to other assignments. (Did anyone spot Mr. York recently on GoT? 😆 )

The second season was far, far better than the first, like they’d finally realized that they were a science fiction situation comedy, and science fiction could be the situation. (The first year felt like someone just suggested the tagline “The Office…IN SPACE!” with no further development of that idea.) The second year does what Red Dwarf did at its high point in the early 90s: took situations or plot complications wholesale from other sci-fi (mainly Trek) and milked it for laughs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed