Hot Wheels nostalgia series: Atari

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Collectibles Hot Wheels nostalgia series: Atari

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

This is probably old news. But they’re still kinda neat. [LINK]

(A van full of 2600 games? That would’ve worked better than candy.)

Pong and the 2600 van are my favorites; Tempest isn’t bad. The others… eh. Funny how the packaging for the 2600 van shows the arcade versions of various games, as opposed to, say, the 2600 versions. (For instance, there never was a 2600 Tempest, except for an abandoned prototype.)

These should be out now-ish, even though I still can’t find a @$#&! Hot Wheels Curiosity Rover (except on eBay).

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I wonder how desperate for money Atari’s French owners are for cash, if they okayed this stupid idea. Hot Wheels appeal to kids, and no modern kids know a thing about late ’70s game consoles. These seem like a cynical grab for collector’s money. And sadly, if I come across these things I’ll end up buying the damn things. I’m upset by my weakness.

@Steve W wrote:

And sadly, if I come across these things I’ll end up buying the damn things. I’m upset by my weakness.

If I see these at Wal-Mart, I’m seriously thinking about cleaning them out and hoarding the lot of them until OVGE ’13, at which point everyone’ll be all “Oh, yeah, I remember reading about those but never got them… OKAY, HERE, TAKE MY MONEY.” Or… so I hope. Getting stuck with 38 carded Breakout trucks would be kinda stoopid.

@Steve W wrote:

I wonder how desperate for money Atari’s French owners are for cash, if they okayed this stupid idea.

I’ll let you know around the time they get to the Yars’ Revenge Funny Car.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

That’ll be right before they put out the Demons To Diamonds Volkswagen. I do have to admit, if they put out a car based on Adventure, I would hunt these things down immediately. I’d (dare I say it) even shop at Wal-Mart. And that’s a huge admission from me.

Apparently sometime since then, we’ve had a SDCC special vehicle:

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I have yet to see any of these in any store. But then, I don’t ever go down the toy aisles since they tend to be filled with screaming kids, and I want no part of that. Maybe the next time I hit Target I’ll quickly peruse the toy car aisle.

Flack
    Participant

I saw two of the six in Big Lots not too long ago, but I didn’t buy them because I know there are six and only owning two would make me mad every day until I bought the other four.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I did see these in a Hastings somewhere. I’ve been to quite a few locations so I don’t remember which one. I’m not a toy collector, so I passed on them.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

http://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Atari-Nostalgic-Diecast-Vehicle/dp/B00HETXKP2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392965520&sr=8-5&keywords=atari+hot+wheels

Again, I’m so tempted to get these for a manager at work. One of the good ones, not one who makes my life miserable.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Considering that these are out of print and past the sell-by date… a complete set at that price isn’t bad (minus the Asteroids one, which would probably add at least $10)… not bad at all.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I bought the Atari 2600 one at a Target a while ago – probably around the time this thread first started. I took it out of the box and put the car on a shelf above my CentOS computer. Did that bug any of you collectors when I said I took it out of the packaging? Get this: I threw the packaging away. BWAHAHAHAH! /evil.

I think I still see one or two of these in stores but, I have to admit, it’s been a while.

I put the Amazon item on my wish list. If I don’t get it as a birthday item in the next month, I’ll buy it (if it’s still in stock). Shall I take them out of the packaging? 😀

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I received this Atari set at work today…. errr… yesterday. 🙂

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.