Help Wanted

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

The summer edition is almost done, with with autumn peeking around the corner. Took long enough, right? It’s over 40 pages; all but one page was written by yours truly. Yikes.

I am left with a quandary. I thought I’d throw this out there for all four or five people who read this forum. 😆

I don’t want to shut down the ‘zine, but… man, I’ve got books to write. Those, at least theoretically, have a slight chance of bringing in money, whereas the ‘zine is an unpaid time sink. I’m also becoming wary of printing too much material from the site, as I’m now realizing that anything from that section is an asset which could be the basis of future books.

So here’s the question… does anyone want to write for this thing? Because if not, I may well wrap the ‘zine up again after only a year’s worth of quarterly issues. This would even be an opportunity to write reviews of stuff already covered on the site or in print – an alternate perspective from just me sitting around writing and cutting and pasting site stuff until there’s a whole magazine.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

How many copies of the ‘zine have been downloaded so far? At least by actual people and not ‘bots? I’m just curious if you’re putting so much effort into something that barely gets read. To be brutally honest, I haven’t read them. I’ve downloaded them, popped them open and quickly skimmed them, but I haven’t put in the time and effort to actually ocularly digest much of anything from them (and yet I spent a good amount of time reading Vworp!, probably since it was something I could hold in my hand on a vacation rather than reading off a tablet or laptop and having to fiddle with print sizes and such to make it serviceable to read). I like to support you, which makes me feel bad that I’m not reading your eZine. If you’re expending so much energy to produce the issues but there’s not much of a readership, maybe it’s time to rechannel your energies into something else that will have a bigger impact.

It’s getting decent download numbers. There was a bit of an uptick around the time VWORP!1 came out. I’ll put it this way – more people download the ‘zines than visit the forums. (So… seven people then! 😆 )

I’m still mulling it over. I like laying stuff out for print (an art form that’s going to be scarce within my lifetime, I’ll wager). VWORP! was a very laid-out book (which is why I published the ebook through my own site rather than via Kindle, whose content handler f#$%ed the layout up no matter how I tried to adjust it for Kindle’s benefit). But… the books actually stand a small chance of repaying me for the effort.

There’s also the long-delayed web series project which stands virtually no chance of bringing in money, but has a very good chance of being much more high-visibility than the ‘zine in this video/TV-obsessed age where no one has time to sit and read something.

Between these, real life, and the convention schedule (which has occasionally gotten in the way of updating the site itself), there’s only so much of me to go around and something’s gotta give eventually. Probably my sanity.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

something’s gotta give eventually. Probably my sanity.

Well, I look forward to seeing you on a news report after you snap, where you’ll have been arrested in a crowded mall, running around with a really long multicolor scarf on your neck, and attacking patrons with a toilet plunger and an egg whisk while shouting “exterminate!”. I’ll proudly say “I know that guy! Totally saw that one coming!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed