Hastings Thread v2.0

This topic contains 75 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Heh. I found the Starship Pegasus almost right away. I just google Mapped “mcdonalds italy, texas” and there it was only a few hundred yards from the truck stop. Street view offers a decent shot of the former restaurant.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I went on a flea market run this afternoon, and stopped at a couple of Hastings locations on the way. The Paris, TX store doesn’t have much of interest, sadly. The Sherman store however had a few items I haven’t seen yet. For example, a plushie yellow Dalek. They also, oddly, had two or three TARDIS variations as blbbleheads. One was Hartnell’s TARDIS done in a more black-and-white color scheme, and a couple others that weren’t all that interesting to me. And meanwhile, still no K-9 bobblehead, which is really the only one that makes any sense. I couldn’t get all that close at first to the shelf because some guy was farting up a storm on that aisle, and when I left and came back a few minutes later he had ducked down and was tearing open a lamp (the kind made to look like two pistols with silencers, so you can already guess that this guy was an asshole) and he abandoned it on the floor and left after I caught him doing it.

They also had some ComiCon exclusives, like Styre and the Cyber Leader. There were one or two other items that I can’t recall off the top of my head.

New Christmas tree lights! Awwww yeah.

I also had a discussion with the fine folks at the local Hastings about doing a book signing sometime between now and Christmas. I had tried to open that topic with them before and they didn’t seem terribly receptive; I guess I wasn’t talking to the right person. The guy I spoke to said “20 copies? You could probably sell 20 copies to the people who work here!”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

That’d be pretty cool, and you wouldn’t even have to drive all that far. I can just imagine it’d be fairly boring though, most people just walking up, taking a quick glance, and walking away. [drawl] “I was hopin’ it’d be sumthin’ about Ultimate Fightin’, but it looks like some gay shit” [/drawl]. A convention would be better, since you’d be amongst people who the book’s deliberately aimed at, but if you can at least sell a bunch of books to the Hastings employees at minimum, it’s worth a shot.

How much are the TARDIS light strings, anyway?

The TARDIS lights are $16.99. I’m looking at a similar set of string lights for Little E, except they would all be R2-D2s – and they’d be more expensive than a bunch of TARDISes (TARDI?).

Hastings ran this coupon today on Facebook, for Saturday November 17th only:

Hey Facebook fans! Would you like to get an exclusive jump on Holiday shopping at all of our Hastings locations? Use this ONE DAY coupon to get 20% off THOUSANDS of fantastic gifts (or maybe a little something for yourself.) See coupon below to see what’s on sale. There is no limit, except it is good for ONE DAY ONLY. Simply present this coupon from your phone at check out or you can print it off and bring to our store. Again this offer is valid Saturday November 17th ONLY, so hurry in! *This is an in store offer only.

Go forth and gather ye goodies, gentlemen.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

“Phone and tablet cases”. I’ve priced their tablet cases, and they’re crazy expensive. Sure, a lot of them are aimed towards women and are unnecessarily froo-froo and therefore more pricey as a result, but still. I try to keep my eyes out for a case for my Blackberry PlayBook that has a Bluetooth wireless keyboard built-in, but so far all I ever come across are iPad keyboard cases, or wired USB keyboard cases, which aren’t compatible. Bummer.

Now that I know there’s a sale on tomorrow, I’ll have to hit the ol’ Hastings up in Denton when I go flea market shopping. I hope they have the light strings. Or at least a K-9 bobblehead.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, hell. I put the coupon pic on my iPod so they can scan it when I get to Hastings up in Denton, I drive up there… and it’s closed. Gone for good. No shoe polish sign on the window indicating it moved to a new location or anything. Checked the website on my phone, the company still lists it as being open. The sad part was, I originally planned on hitting the McKinney First Monday Trade Days in McKinney, TX, then drive east over to Greenville and hit the Hastings there. From that location I’d head down and hit a flea market or two in Quinlan, TX, and then come home. But I slept late and stayed in bed a couple extra hours, then from McKinney I went west towards Denton because I’m more familiar with that Hastings store. Methinks that was a mistake. But knowing my luck, I would make the long drive there to find out the Greenville location is closed too.

I did stop for gas at a new 7-11 on their grand opening and got a fountain drink for 25¢, but that doesn’t make up for missing out on the Hastings sale. And it really doesn’t make up for the fact that the 7-11 used to be a Shell gas station that had within it for over 30 years a hamburger place called Earl’s. I last ate there maybe five months ago, and their burger patties were so damn large that I might have finally finished digesting that hamburger last week or so. Quality and value for your money. And now, gone. Apparently they’ve supposedly opened up in Sherman, TX but that does me no good whatsoever.

Sorry your expedition was a bust. Mine was… odd. We originally planned to go to Fayetteville on Saturday to hit the (better stocked) Hastings up there, get some Back Yard Burgers, and hit the newly opened Arkadia Retrocade (think 1984 Arcade, but several hours closer). I had used the Hastings web site to scope out what was in stock in Fayetteville, so I had a good idea of what goodies I was going to get.

The boy started misbehaving badly before we even left the house, and that nixed the whole thing. No Fayetteville trip. We did go to BYB and Arkadia on Sunday, but Saturday night was spent going to Fort Smith to use the Olive Garden gift cards my wife got for her birthday and then hit the Fort Smith Hastings, which naturally had completely different stuff in stock. I got two figures I wouldn’t have been caught paying full price for – the season 6 River and the impossible astronaut – as well as a Pertwee sonic screwdriver (I was sorely disappointed to find that it doesn’t have the era-appropriate sound effect – it’s just the Tom Baker sonic with a different paint job!). I’m glad I didn’t have to pay full price to discover that, though I still feel silly having paid as much as I did.

Fayetteville’s bountiful stock of stuff will have to wait for another day. With my luck they have two dozen Rorys. Or maybe just one.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

We originally planned to go to Fayetteville on Saturday to hit the (better stocked) Hastings up there, get some Back Yard Burgers, and hit the newly opened Arkadia Retrocade (think 1984 Arcade, but several hours closer).

Sigh. Backyard Burgers. There was a single location in Dallas off Central Expressway that I’d hit whenever I was in the area, and now it’s some kind of generic fried chicken place. I’m going to miss their food, but not necessarily their chicken sandwiches. Who puts cole slaw inside a chicken sandwich like that? Commies, that’s who! I asked for the cole slaw to be left off, and then I realized their chicken breast was papery thin, the junk was to make it appear thicker I’d guess. Yuck.

Arkadia Retrocade? Dude, snap some pictures of that place. I’d love to see what it looks like. There’s virtually no chance I’ll ever be in Missouri to check out the 1984 Arcade, but if there’s an appropriate alternative of equal or greater value half the distance away, I’d be a little more tempted to make the drive.

There’s a boatload of pictures on my blog. They basically tell the current story of the place: needs more work, but very, very promising.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

For some reason, I keep expecting arcades to have a really dark interior. That seemed to be a recurring theme back in the ’80s. And neon, lots of neon. I hope the birthday party that had booked the place wasn’t all kids, that would sadden me a little. Mainly because they have no appreciation for those types of games in this day and age, and kids tend to unnecessarily beat up on the machines. I like the 1984 Arcade’s policy of no kids under 16 without a parent or guardian. It keeps out the riffraff so the machines don’t end up with graffiti keyed into the side art.

They need to find a local artist who would be willing to paint murals and things either for free, for the notoriety, or for permanent free admission. Paint lots of stuff with florescent colors that would glow under black lights. And then switch on the blacklight bulbs after sundown. That shouldn’t cost too much, and would get people to remember the place and tell others about it.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Sigh. I went on a flea market jaunt over to Quinlan, TX just so I’d have justification to drive up to Greenville, TX and hit the Hastings there and get myself some TARDIS light strings. Aaaaaaannnndddd….. nope. Didn’t have any there. I was pretty let down. The only thing of interest there was some kind of new sonic screwdriver from some non-canon adventure that’s components are from four different time periods and I guess you can assemble them in different ways. This is not the same as the “build it yourself sonic screwdriver” kit that came out last year, this is a smaller package and less components.

Is that the Victorian/steampunk-style “trans-temporal sonic screwdriver”?? I’ve seen that here too. Wasn’t really tempted.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I believe it was. I was a little bit tempted, to be honest, since it was such an odd little curio. It would have been interesting if you could use it to build Paul McGann’s ‘alternative costume’ steampunk-ish sonic screwdriver.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed