Hasbro CEO Admits Making Mistake With ‘Last Jedi’ Toys

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Collectibles Hasbro CEO Admits Making Mistake With ‘Last Jedi’ Toys

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Bloomberg:

Hasbro CEO Admits Making Mistake With ‘Last Jedi’ Toys

The force wasn’t with Hasbro Inc. during its latest Star Wars merchandising push.

Chief Executive Officer Brian Goldner says the company made an error by releasing toys too far ahead of the franchise’s most recent movie, “The Last Jedi.” That contributed to disappointing sales of the products during the holidays — a season that was already hurt by the bankruptcy of Toys “R” Us Inc.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Man, I bought all the Porgs I could. That alone shoulda kept TRU afloat.

Seriously though, reading this right now is really funny in light of the fact that I see people on social media talking about how they’ve already bought Black Series action figures from Solo, which is just under a couple of months away.

I, for one, appreciated the long lead time on Last Jedi figures. It enabled me to pick up one or two at a time as funds allowed prior to the movie, and without a huge amount of competition to get them, because hey, it was the end of September when they hit the stores for a movie in mid-December. But I can see where maybe too much time passed for everyone else; that was just a business model benefitting Earl. 😆

I’ve also gotten the impression from what I’ve seen for Solo that the 3.75″ scale is going to get kind of “soft support” for this movie – the action seems to be in the Black Series 6″ line, which is more hardcore-collector oriented. I stick with 3.75″ for purely nostalgic (that’s the old-school Kenner scale) and practical (less $$$ than Black Series) reasons.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Kids don’t play with toys that much any more. It’s all about smartphones, tablets, and consoles now. The first post-Disney Star Wars movie sold a lot of toys before the movie came out, but if you look at pictures from the midnight sales events it was all adults buying them. I can’t imagine they sold well after the film premiered. And the following movies haven’t sold a lot of toys because the new films are off-putting to adults due to them being corporate, committee-driven junk and the kids aren’t really interested.

Disney has done amazingly well with Marvel because they bought it cheap, put people who cared in charge, and built it up movie by movie into the juggernaut that it has become. Disney paid over four billion dollars for Star Wars, they aren’t going to do the same thing because they’re too scared to give the reins to a handful of creative people. So they all sat around a board room and created The Force Awakens, a rebooted version of Star Wars designed to hit all the nostalgia points from the original trilogy and to make as much money back from their 4 billion as quickly as possible. It’s cynical as hell, and a lot of the people who buy the merchandise, the collecting adults, are losing interest because of it.

I was never a fan of Star Wars, but the last movie pretty much broke me. It’s obvious that nobody’s at the wheel, nobody cares, there’s no grand scheme or great storyline, they just want to churn out crap and make money. There’s no Feige helming the movies, there’s just bean counters and pencil pushers. They’re putting out films that are as cold and lifeless as rebooted movies like Robocop, Total Recall, or Ghostbusters – just using a nostalgic product name to try and make money. Let Star Wars die.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From AVClub:

Kids just aren’t buying Star Wars and My Little Pony toys anymore

In the wake of the nationwide closure of Toys R Us stores, Bloomberg reports the toy industry is in general disarray. The 2017 holiday season yielded lower revenues than projected, in part because “kids are tiring of movie-linked playthings,” like the latest Star Wars and Transformers figures.

Sales are down at all three of the major toy companies: Lego, Hasbro, and Mattel. The block-maker had its first revenue decrease in 13 years, which led to laying off 8 percent of its work force last year. No. 2 Hasbro did experience growth in “full-year sales,” but the article notes there was a drop in the fourth quarter. But both Lego and Hasbro are still holding up better than Mattel, which is now ranked third after years at number one; its chief brands officer left the company in February, after four consecutive years of declining revenue. The article focuses on younger demographics, with no mention of adult collector-types, eager to get their hands on the new Lando Calrissian doll.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

adult collector-types, eager to get their hands on the new Lando Calrissian doll

Quite right, better load those all up and send them to me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.