Han’s Solo Movie

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Han’s Solo Movie

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Now that we’ve gotten rid of one Han Solo, we’re about to pick another. What, is he some kinda Time Lord? [LINK]

Sources tell Variety that after seeing thousands of actors, execs have cut the list down to about a dozen actors with Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Dave Franco, Jack Reynor, Scott Eastwood, Logan Lerman, “Brooklyn” star Emory Cohen and “Everybody Wants Some” actor Blake Jenner among the names making the cut.

NDAs and test deals are still being worked out, but producer Kathleen Kennedy and directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller will begin testing the new group with a decision expected in the next couple of weeks.

The film does not shoot until next January, but sources close to the situation say the reason for such an early decision has more to do with another “Star Wars” film currently shooting, rather than the untitled “Han Solo” pic. While insiders were unable to confirm, the new Solo could have a small cameo in “Rogue One: A Star Wars” before appearing in his own standalone pic.

So we’re just gonna go recasting the classics? So low, man. So low.* 😉

* yes, I know the movie’s about young Han

Flack
    Participant

Earl, clue me in on Han’s back story. I always assumed that he just happened to be in the right place at the right time (Mos Eisley) when Luke and Obi Wan wandered in and that’s how they all met. What would Han be doing in Rogue One? I may not be understanding everything but I thought Rogue One was about stealing the plans to the Death Star, which happen prior to Han getting involved with the Rebellion?

I have a feeling that it would be a cameo where they bump into him and he smugly does smuggler stuff for them without realizing what he’s involved in (or maybe he refuses to help them!), and goes on about his merry way.

I really think anything more than that would unwisely rewrite the DNA of the character we met in the first movie, who cares nothing about either the Empire or the Rebellion, and just wants to hang out with Chewie, play that holographic chess game, and make a buck or two. At least that’s how it should be. I think “Aha! Han was more involved and sympathetic to the Rebellion all along!” would be a mistake, right up there with Greedo firing first.

And…we’ve cast someone who looks kinda like Leonardo DiCaprio? [LINK]

Even though news that Alden Ehrenreich had been cast as a young Han Solo came out more than two months ago, Lucasfilm and Disney finally made it official during this weekend’s Star Wars Celebration Europe by introducing the actor on screen.

Ehrenreich (Beautiful Creatures, Hail, Caesar!) was cast by directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The LEGO Movie) following a sweeping Gone With the Wind-like search when they cast a wide net that saw more than 3,000 actors from across the world audition for the role played by Harrison Ford in the original movies.

The actor will star in the untitled Star Wars spinoff/anthology film penned by the father-and-son duo of Lawrence (The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens) and Jon Kasdan and production is slated to start in January or February, for a May 25, 2018, release date. This will be Lawrence Kasdan’s final Star Wars movie (as per his words).

It was also revealed that Ehrenreich was actually the first to audition for the role of everyone’s favorite space smuggler, and that the 26-year-old actor had to perform a bunch of screen tests, including scenes with Chewie and the Millennium Falcon. Hmm. Do you think we’ll get to see Han win the Millennium Falcon from a young Lando Calrissian in that game of sabacc? I hope so! Oh, and since the storyline is said to take place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, there were rumors that we could see him make a cameo appearance in Rogue One.

I’d really like to all this talk about Han-in-Rogue-One to cease. Seriously. The Star Wars universe is big enough that we don’t have to have the core trilogy characters constantly rubbing elbows with each other. Isn’t the already confirmed appearance of that other major character in Rogue One enough?

By now I think everyone here knows that Han Solo does not appear in Rogue One, but here’s an interesting piece of casting news from the Han movie. And the funny thing is…I can totally see this working. I like Woody Harrelson already, so I supposed I’m biased. [LINK]

After playing a mentor to Katniss Everdeen in “The Hunger Games” franchise, Woody Harrelson might help guide another iconic character’s journey.

Sources tell Variety that, while talks are still in the early stages, Harrelson is the top choice to play Han Solo’s mentor in the upcoming “Star Wars” spinoff starring Alden Ehrenreich.

Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke also star, with Phil Lord and Chris Miller directing. Disney had no comment.

May 25, 2018…kinda surprised they’re trying to swing it back to May. And a bit disappointed. At least with Star Wars owning the month of December, I could ask everyone for Star Wars toys for Christmas. This is totally going to throw that plan off.

By the way, I love the idea of Donald Glover as Lando. Just look at him. That’s Lando. Gonna steal your lady, gonna steal your ship, gonna break open a Colt 45, not gonna break a sweat.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Aaaaaaaand…the acclaimed directors have quit in the middle of the movie…? [LINK]

The untitled “Star Wars” Han Solo spinoff has parted ways with directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who cited “creative differences” for the split.

“Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement released Tuesday on the official Star Wars web site.

“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,” added Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

The film started principal photography on Feb. 20 at London’s Pinewood Studios, with Alden Ehrenreich starring in the origin story about the character first made famous by Harrison Ford in 1977’s “Star Wars: A New Hope.”

The Han Solo film is still in production with several weeks of re-shoots planned for the summer — which have long been planned. Disney said Tuesday that the Han Solo standalone remains slated for a May 25, 2018, release date but declined to elaborate further.

(cue 20 clips of characters saying they have a bad feeling about this)

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Dirt is already emerging… [LINK]

Miller and Lord were stunned to find that they were not being granted freedom to run the production in the manner that they were accustomed to. They balked at Kennedy’s tight control on the set.

A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and Kennedy was never right.

“It was a culture clash from day one,” the source said. “She didn’t even like the way they folded their socks.”

The source said that while Lord and Miller were supposedly hired for their vision and distinctive brand of filmmaking when it came to the “Star Wars” production, Kennedy did not approve of their shooting style and process of interacting with actors and crew. “They weren’t given the leeway to do what they had to do,” the source said.

The directors did not leave the production voluntarily, but were fired by LucasFilm.

But of course, you’ve probably heard by now… [LINK]

Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard will take over as director of the “Star Wars” Han Solo spinoff, Lucasfilm announced.

His hire comes after the movie’s original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired Tuesday, while in the middle of production after clashing with producer and Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy and co-writer/executive producer Lawrence Kasdan. The duo, who had previously overseen “The LEGO Movie” and “21 Jump Street,” wanted to inject more humor into the storyline and encouraged improvisation, something Kasdan did not appreciate.

Howard will begin work immediately. The picture still has several weeks left on its shooting schedule, and five additional weeks of pre-scheduled reshoots that were planned for later this year. The exact amount of time and money that it will take to actually complete the production (which was about three-quarters finished when the directors were fired), will vary depending on how much rewriting and reshooting Howard deems is necessary after reviewing the script and shot footage.

It is unclear just how Howard will be credited and whether he will share directing credit with Lord and Miller, or potentially take no credit at all (though that seems unlikely). Lord and Miller have the right to appeal any decision, but ultimately, the Directors Guild of America will make the call.

So much drama.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Good luck, Opie…..

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed