Hallmark U.S.S. Franklin

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Collectibles Hallmark U.S.S. Franklin

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I may actually try to snag this year’s Star Trek Christmas ornament – the first ship from the JJverse that I’ve unequivocally liked.

I just think that’s a slick looking little ship.

If I get really good at flying it around the house, I’ll ascend to the rank of Franklin Ace.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I never picked up any NX-01 merch when Enterprise was on the air, and I really liked that ship design. I like that they kept it going with the Franklin (although it makes me cringe that they got the facts about it wrong – supposed to be the first warp 4 ship, but the Franklin came after the NX-01 which was the first warp 5 ship). I might have to pick this up.

I tried to twist in the wind a bit and find a justification for the Franklin’s registry number in my review, but I’ll admit, it’s a reach.

Gapporin
    Participant

REMEMBER THE U. S. S. FRANKLIN

aswald.exe
    (okay, not really exe)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So I don’t have to sit through that song, what’s it referring to?

There was a user on the Digital Press forums 10+ years ago – may still be there for all I know, I’ve stopped going – named Aswald who was one of these folks who spends far too much of his life actually believing stuff like Infowars. One of his perennial battle cries was that the sinking of the U.S.S. Liberty was an inside job – to the point that it was in his signature. You can only imagine what he made of 9/11.

Sad thing is, thinking back on it… Aswald was an anomaly back then, which is why it was easy to gather a bunch of quotes from his forum posts and make a song out of it.

Now there’s half a dozen Aswalds on every block.

Literally the only thing video game related he ever contributed to those video game related forums was an exhaustive guide to Lord of the Dungeon on Colecovision. The rest of the time he spent choking the forums with conspiracy theories.

I argued in favor of banning him, repeatedly, when I was one of the moderators. I felt his downsides outweighed the benefits of keeping him around. I never figured out how he kept dodging the bullet.

REMEMBER THE U.S.S. LIBERTY!

Gapporin
    Participant

Has it really been 10 years ago? Good gravy.

I don’t let the Poopsmith nears it!

Speaking of things from 10 years ago…

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the incident: 8 June 1967. A year ago I start thinking about maybe posting something on that date just to remember Aswald. Then I forget about it because I think it’s not worth the time or effort.

Pantechnicon was able to track down Aswald. I don’t remember all the details he told me but Aswald is active in deviantart: http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Some of that artwork is very impressive.

Where was that Aswald? Why could he not put that side of himself on display?

Part of me is instinctively thinking he’s gotta be some kind of somewhat-functional-but-only-just Aspie. Which is something I can relate to…but…damn.

So…anyway…the…uh… U.S.S. Franklin.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

A furry. Of course. It seems like a recurring theme, you come across somebody online who seems to have a screw loose, and they turn out to be a furry, trying to work out all their psychological problems through fantasizing about being an animal. I hate to throw a wide net around a group of people, but people with severe social issues tend to go into furrydom in a lot of cases (I’ve seen it happen frequently in my 20 years on the internet).

That Deviantart page noted that he’s in a group of Polish furries. Maybe English is his second language, and he’s only ever learned English from listening to people like Rush Limbaugh. Kind of like the classic ’80s movie Better Off Dead, where one of the two Asian street racers learned English by watching Howard Cosell on Wide World of Sports.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Bruce Consolazio is his name, if you didn’t view the deviantart page. I don’t know that it is evident in the deviantart page (I didn’t look too carefully through it) but Pan mentioned that Aswald was not only a furry, but a furry “…with some sort of thing for stomping on things with heels…”. And, by things, I mean non-living items like Christmas Ornaments.

No doubt that is all TMI (I lost interest in Aswald after those tidbits) but, if anyone here felt even a tiny bit of remorse not paying attention to Aswald’s wild rants, I think that feeling is all gone now. It is for me.

Anyway…remember the U.S.S. Franklin!!

@earl wrote:

So…anyway…the…uh… U.S.S. Franklin.

@ubikuberalles wrote:

Anyway…remember the U.S.S. Franklin!!

Yes! Eaglemoss has announced their special edition of the Franklin from Star Trek: Beyond, and have begun taking pre-orders on it. It’s scaled to sit alongside the NX-01 refit I got a little while back…I’m very, very tempted. [LINK]

Explore the furthest reaches of space with Justin Lin’s latest film Star Trek Beyond with the STAR TREK: The Official Starships special edition of the U.S.S. Franklin starship.

This was the first of Earth’s starships that were capable of warp 4. It mysteriously vanished while on a mission, only to be found by the Enterprise’s crew years later, half-buried on the planet Altamid. Thanks to the engineering genius of the alien Jaylah and Scotty, the Franklin was resurrected, but the hard times have left their mark on this Federation veteran.

The model ship is marked with the instantly recognisable U.S.S. Franklin NX-326 and measures 19.8cm long. The die-cast construction looks sleek and robust as you captain the ship into your collection, and looks pristine in its padded box as a collector’s item.

I think I finally pinned down what I like so much about the Franklin: it’s like one of the old FASA ship designs. It’s like they made one of those official.

My one beef with this model – I really like my NX-01, and would be “flying” this next to it – is the weathered paint job. I know that’s how it appeared in the movie, but…

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The original design of the Franklin (called the Pioneer in the scripts) was that the warp nacelles were supposed to be facing down. The early scripts had the Pioneer crashed in sand dunes, and the ship was an oversized shuttle or transport ship. Then the scripts needed it to be on top of a mountain crashed into rocks, so it couldn’t sit on its nacelles, they flipped the model design upside-down and now it’s the Franklin.

I still don’t know why they gave it the NX designation.

Every time I see there’s some update to the Star Trek section of the forum, I get a little excited thinking maybe we’ll get more info about Discovery, specifically they’ll finally let us see the new updated ship design. I’ve heard from a few sources that because of the horrible pushback from their potential audience, they had to give Ralph McQuarrie’s design a major overhaul. I would think that they’d want to let people know they’re on the right track by showing off the new design well ahead of the premiere, and generate some buzz. I’m wondering if they’re going to keep the new ship secret, maybe only revealing it on the first episode to avoid any more internet wailing without even seeing it in action.

I was a weak-willed pathetic human and pre-ordered it. It was expensive. I just liked the Franklin that much. The JJverse finally produced a ship I really loved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed