George Lucas’ new movie is named after an ELO song

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Mr. Blue Sky George Lucas’ new movie is named after an ELO song

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 2 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Wow. If I was ten years old, my head might implode. [LINK]

Marius de Vries serves as the project’s musical director and has picked numerous popular songs from the past six decades. He also composed the original score for the Lucasfilm production. The soundtrack will be released digitally on January 20, 2015. A physical version is set to be released on February 17, 2015. The George Lucas-produced movie follows a group of goblins, elves, fairies and imps, and their misadventures sparked by the battle over a powerful potion. The animated feature will be released nationwide on January 23 by Touchstone Pictures.

1. Can’t Help Falling in Love – Evan Rachel Wood and Sam Palladio
    2. I’ll Never Fall in Love Again – Evan Rachel Wood
    3. Three Little Birds – Elijah Kelley and Meredith Anne Bull
    4. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) – Marius De Vries
    5. C’mon Marianne / Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) – Sam Palladio and Evan Rachel Wood
    6. Trouble – Alan Cumming
    7. Love Is Strange – Kristin Chenoweth
    8. Say Hey – Elijah Kelley
    9. Mistreated – Alan Cumming
    10. I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) – Meredith Anne Bull
    11. Straight On – Evan Rachel Wood and Alan Cumming
    12. Strange Magic – Evan Rachel Wood and Alan Cumming
    13. Tell Him / Wild Thing – Meredith Anne Bull, Maya Rudolph, Evan Rachel Wood and Alan Cumming

I checked out the sound clips on Amazon, and indeed there is a cover of ELO’s “Strange Magic” on there. Up until now I had considered the title a coincidence.

Perhaps just because it’s non-Star-Wars Lucas, it would seem that awareness and expectations regarding this movie are barely above ground level.

Speaking of which, I found that an ELO mention in an old Starwars.com interview was lost to Google – well, except for a mention of that mention (with a link) on some site called theLogBook.com. Thankfully that guy is on top of everything. I found the interview in question on Archive.org. Ponder the possibilities. [LINK] 😆

FAX: It’s interesting imagining “The Star Wars Holiday Special” as a rock musical.

ACOMBA: It definitely would have had more rock ‘n’ roll in the same way that Robin Phillips is more rock ‘n’ roll, it’s just crazier. It needn’t have been loud, grungy stuff, but it would have been much more contemporary and much simpler. I like really simple music tracks. I think it would have turned out to be much better.

FAX: Who might you have used?

ACOMBA: Let’s see, who was available at the time? The new version of Jefferson Starship had some big hits at the time and that was okay for me. The Electric Light Orchestra, not my favorite group but, on the other hand, it does have some relevance because they were very big at the time.

So there: the original (and ultimately fired) director of the Star Wars Holiday Special at least thought about roping ELO into the proceedings. Question becomes: would this have been more of a blow, less of a blow, or an equal blow to ELO’s reputation than Xanadu? 😛

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed