Game Of Thrones will run out of book to adapt

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen Game Of Thrones will run out of book to adapt

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Whoops. [LINK]

George RR Martin’s publisher for A Song of Ice and Fire, HarperCollins, has officially confirmed that no, 2015 would not see the release of The Winds of Winter, the long-awaited sixth book in the series. Even though they tried very hard to promote a series of Westerosi prequel novellas being released, the simple fact remains, HBO’s Game of Thrones will end long before Martin ever finishes writing his story.

It’s not as if this is a terribly new thought, but with the announcement that no, we won’t even get a new book in 2015, the timetable for making HBO’s Game of Thrones work with the release timetable of A Song of Ice and Fire is now mathematically impossible.

Yikes. What a revoltin’ development.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

What could also happen is that the TV series “skips” a season.

Uh, no, this won’t make HBO happy.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I guess George wasn’t listening to these guys: Write like the Wind

And many fans who read the books think this about those who only watched the TV show: Rage of Thrones

Big plot twist: next season won’t air until summer 2017, and will barely be more than a handful of episodes. 😮 [LINK]

The network has announced the seventh season of Thrones will not arrive until the summer of 2017, which comes later than the series’ typical spring debut. The episode order, something that had been teased previously, was also trimmed to seven episodes (the series typically produces 10 episodes per season).

Producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have indicated the series could come to an end within two seasons, and the eventual eighth season will probably have a similar 6-7 episode order.

Another interesting tidbit: If the premiere pushes later than May, the show would not be eligible for next year’s Emmy Awards. That’s huge news for everyone who is not HBO, considering the series has scored more nominations than any other show the past three years.

I wonder if D.B. Weiss is ever going to turn his novel Lucky Wander Boy into a movie. He seems slightly embarrassed about any mention of it now, and yet obviously it did something for his career.

HBO says season 8 is it. ur=http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game-of-thrones-eighth-season-ending-1201827129/l]LINK[/url

Newly anointed programming chief Casey Bloys confirmed what’s long been rumored: That the eighth season of “Game of Thrones” will indeed be the final one.

“Yes, I think (showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss) have a very specific plan about the number of seasons they want to do,” he said. “If I could get them to do more, I would take 10 seasons, but we want to take their lead with what they can do and what the best version of the show is.”

Bloys also admitted that he’s had talks about a potential spinoff or prequel series with Benioff and Weiss, but “there are no concrete plans” for any “Game of Thrones” follow-up yet. Bloys noted that he doesn’t think Benioff and Weiss could “wrap their heads around it” while they’re still in production on the original series, but that the showrunners “weren’t opposed to it” in theory.

I wonder how much leverage GRRM has over any potential spinoffs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.