Gallifrey V and VI: this time it’s really over… really

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who Audio Gallifrey V and VI: this time it’s really over… really

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Or so says Big Finish [LINK]

When we were last in the company of Romana, Leela and Narvin, they were lost on an alternative Gallifrey, one without time travel and all the benefits that offered. A totalitarian world where Romana was a tyrant and Narvin a psychopath. But they are dead and our Romana and Narvin have stepped into their shoes, trying to change this corrupt world from within and turn it into a Gallifrey they can live on… or use to find a way home.

Gallifrey series V and Gallifrey series VI are due for release in 2013 and are now available for pre-order on CD and download. Over these two three-disc box sets will see the long-running series come and final, definite, end.

“Gallifrey has been an amazing series to create, shape and direct over the last ten years,” says series director Gary Russell. “Alan Barnes and I originally spun it out of Big Finish’s fortieth anniversary of Doctor Who projects and so it seems remarkably appropriate to wind it all up in Doctor Who’s fiftieth year. We’ve already told eighteen astonishing stories about these characters, and these final six chapters will see the series culminate in a truly breathtaking and dare I say nail-biting (big) finish. Whether everyone makes it safely to that end, though, remains to be seen…”

If anyone can work out the sentence structure in the middle paragraph, please let me know.

Gallifrey V will be out a year from now and can be pre-ordered here, while Gallifrey VI will be out in November 2013 – ten years after the Gallifrey spin-off series started – and can be pre-ordered here.

Ah. It looks like we now know why Gallifrey VI is the end of the story. [LINK]

Picking up from the end of Gallifrey V, the sixth series opens with the invasion of a Dalek assault squad as our heroes attempt to save the planet and return home.

Co-producer Gary Russell explains: ‘Scott Handcock and l always knew a war was coming to the universe – to each and every universe in fact – and the Daleks’ arrival on Gallifrey is one of the triggers. But what do the Daleks actually want? This had to be more than just a run-of-the-mill Dalek invasion story. On top of that – look at those Daleks! Such a thrill to see them on the cover, to see out our final series in style. And it was doubly nice because it gave us the chance to finally drag Nick Briggs into the Gallifrey family properly and give him a chance to make his mark on one of Big Finish’s longest-running series!’

Written by Scott Handcock, James Goss and Justin Richards, and directed by Gary Russell, Gallifrey VI stars Lalla Ward as Romana, Louise Jameson as Leela and Seán Carlsen as Narvin, with John Leeson returning as K9 as the saga draws to a close.

Joining them is Juliet Landau – best known to television audiences for her portrayal of Drusilla in Buffy The Vampire Slayer – who takes on a very special role as a future incarnation of Romana… but how she comes to be involved in the story – and her relationship with Romana’s second incarnation – remains to be heard.

This is the first time anything new-series-related has appeared on Big Finish cover artwork; it was my understanding (and everyone else’s) that they were contractually forbidden to touch any new series elements, including the Time War… so to put it mildly, this is a major shock.

The time(lord)s, they are a-changin’. Now, I wonder if they’re also going to make sure to fire K-9 through an interdimensional escape hatch to set him up for when we first see him in the K-9 spinoff series?

@earl wrote:

I wonder if they’re also going to make sure to fire K-9 through an interdimensional escape hatch to set him up for when we first see him in the K-9 spinoff series?

Spoiler: this is exactly what they do with him. Nicely played, Big Finish, nicely played.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed