Galaga (Atari 2600, 2019, Champ Games)

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Console Gaming Galaga (Atari 2600, 2019, Champ Games)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Holy shit. It’s real.

Galaga

Announcement due soon on AtariAge.com; there’s a livestream world premiere running on Twitch. Notes I took from that stream:

• 32k ROM
    • The game is “90% done”
    • Not compatible with Stella emulator as yet (but they hope to fix this); it does run correctly on the Retron 77
    • Barely any flicker except for background stars and “venetian blinds” text for high scores, etc.
    • Work only started in March of this year, fast-tracked by reusing attack algorithms from a PC play-alike version of Galaga done by the same team
    • Standard mode: exactly like the arcade game
    • Novice mode: you start with double ships without it impacting the number of lives you have remaining
    • Advanced mode: you start with one less life remaining, and difficulty in level 1 looks to be equivalent to level 10 in the arcade game
    • Challenge mode: nothing but challenging stages! Except that the only way to get a double ship is to nail all 40 enemies in the first challenging stage perfectly. Failing to get all 40 enemies in any stage costs you a ship.
    • Co-op mode: two player co-op mode; instead of getting double ships when recovering a captured fighter, player two now operates the second ship independently, with both players accumulating a single score
    • Atarivox compatibility for high score saving is yet to be implemented, but will be done before release

Galaga
    Galaga

There’s one major quirk I noticed, and I don’t know if this is something they plan to fix or not: if the enemy has captured one of your ships, and the enemy ship towing your captured fighter leaves the bottom of the screen, your captured fighter is lost. (In the arcade game, the enemy ship tows your fighter indefinitely until you either recapture it, accidentally shoot it, or lose your active ship. Having only one chance to regain the captured ship is brutal.)

Galaga
    Galaga
    Galaga

It really does look amazing. I’ve only been waiting for this since I was 11 or so.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Here’s the archived stream: [LINK] – doesn’t appear to be any way to just embed it a la Youtube.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.