For fifty million, I’ll will Stargate Universe back to life

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen For fifty million, I’ll will Stargate Universe back to life

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

…not because I have the rights, or contracts (or indeed contact) with the cast or crew, or because I have a deal with Syfy or MGM. But… just because. [LINK]

…not everyone who asks for your hard-earned money is going to make good on their Kickstarter campaign promises. And some of them shouldn’t bother asking in the first place, because they absolutely cannot make something happen, no matter how well-meaning their intentions may be.

Such is the case with Jonathan Annett, a fan of Stargate Universe who is taking it upon himself to try and raise $50 million to bring the series back for a third season. Annett admits he is “simply a fan of the show, and am not affiliated with any of the cast, crew, writing staff, producers, studio or special effects companies who produced SGU.”

Which means, even if he got all that money, he does not have any of the rights or skills to produce another season of SGU. Dude. No. Stop.

The astounding thing is that he’s up to almost $6000. I’m surprised he got that much. (When I first checked it out, I thought it was Tim Brazeal again, and wondered if he was teaming up with “Al Vinci” for Al Vinci’s Demons.)

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

The best he can ever do is get a graphic novel made out of it and that’s assuming he’ll get the rights from the owners of the show. Pretty much guaranteed he won’t.

Actually, now that I think about it, the best he could do is write fanfic speculating how they got out of their cliffhanger.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The only Stargate I watched was the original movie. That’s it. I wasn’t interested in the series.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Here’s all that was needed for Stargate Universe to fly:

Patience.

Not patience in giving the show time to “take”… but patience in waiting to start it at all.

Universe was TV Stargate through a bit of a Battlestar Galactica filter, with moral ambiguity and darkness like the previous two TV Stargates hadn’t messed with. But by starting the show while BSG was fresh on everyone’s minds, Syfy was just begging for comparisons to be made… and not flattering ones either.

If Universe had premiered a year later, I think it would’ve found its niche and we might still be watching it. It would’ve been a year after both Stargate Atlantis and BSG went off the air, and the audiences of both shows would’ve been hungry either for more Stargate, or for more storytelling in the BSG vein.

Timing is everything.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.