Finally, truly functional mini Pac-Man arcade cabs

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Arcade Gaming Finally, truly functional mini Pac-Man arcade cabs

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

https://gizmodo.com/eye-strain-is-a-small-price-to-pay-for-having-my-own-ti-1819085635

A company has created working miniature Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man arcade cabs that are roughly the size of the old Hallmark arcade ornaments. I’ve been wishing somebody would get around to this kind of thing. It’s a shame that the screen is so low quality, but if it’s playing a true emulation of Pac-Man, it won’t matter to me. I wonder what other arcade games could look decent on that tiny low-rez screen.

They’re supposed to be at places like Target and Wal-Mart, but I went into both tonight and didn’t find anything. Have you guys spotted them yet?

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I have gotten all four of them – Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaxian, Space Invaders – at, of all places, the local Cracker Barrel. (I only looked there after a friend in Texas reported finding them there in his area.) They’re neato, but the article is so not kidding about the eye strain.

I think what I’ll wind up using these for is, ironically…Christmas ornaments. Each one has a short metal chain terminating in a clasp-style keyring, meaning they’re pretty much ready made to hang from the tree. (I can’t imagine anyone using these as an actual keyring, so…what the hell?)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I go to the manufacturer’s website and look for places to buy them, and there’s nothing in this state. The closest place is around Little Rock, one location they list is out of business. I can’t find them on Amazon, so I checked Target and Wal-Mart’s websites since they supposedly have them for sale there, and no dice. Guess I’m off to Cracker Barrel at some point (my next day off I actually have jury duty, ugh).

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Any UPC codes?

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’ll do you one better than that – they are now in the Store.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, I ordered Pac-Man and Galaga through the Store. I couldn’t find them on Amazon on previous searches, so thanks for that link. If they live up to my expectations I’ll end up ordering the other two.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

As long as your expectations don’t include “spending a lot of time looking at the tiny screens”, you’ll probably like them. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

They finally came in today. Took a while. They’re really nice, the screen quality is a little better than I had predicted, but the resolution is still pretty low.

Do you think it’s using original code under emulation? The splash screen has the “BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.” on it, which is obviously new (gotta keep those copyright notices up to date). If I get the chance, I’ll try and fire up OpenEmu and get Pac-Man running so I can see how closely it matches.

I’m waiting for somebody to drop in a Raspberry Pi board (don’t they make one that’s watch-sized?) and run a variety of arcade games on it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed