Finally, a US CD release of SpaceCamp

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Soundtracks Finally, a US CD release of SpaceCamp

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 9 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Okay, I’ll admit up front… the movie’s cheesy as hell. And a guilty pleasure of mine. Jinx may have put Max in space, but that’s nothing compared to the task of getting a SpaceCamp soundtrack release in the United States – it’s been available on CD in Japan for years, with the import CDs fetching stratospheric prices. You can order here.

@Intrada wrote:

Long overdue first U.S. CD release of brilliant, exuberant John Williams soundtrack from Harry Winer young astronaut tale with Kate Capshaw, Lea Thompson, Kelly Preston, (very young) Joaquin Phoenix. John Williams brings incredible sense of wonder, exhilaration to outer space saga with melodies both awe-inspiring, exciting. Highlights are many: rich, expressive opening theme, rousing action sequences during space flight, powerhouse fortissimo finish to “Home Again”, others. Special spotlight goes to “SpaceCamp” cue, heard in film as the end credits: here composer launches brilliant orchestral display with fanfares, rhythms, resounding statement of main theme – all in single cue that clearly inspired future fanfares for Olympics, various Americana events. Wow! This is top drawer Williams! Intrada presents original album (a then generous 48 minutes) in stereo direct from RCA album masters now vaulted by Sony. Descriptive notes by Michael Matessino plus original LP cover art complete the package. John Williams conducts. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 3000 copies!

This really is one of the better Williams soundtracks of the ’80s, regardless of the cheese factor of the movie it came from, often overlooked simply because the music hasn’t been available for everyone to drill into their heads repeatedly a la Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I always wonder how these odd releases come about. It’s not released in its home country, but in Japan? That’s pretty strange, and I’m sure there’s some kind of sensible explanation for it that involves lots of music industry bullsh-t. Maybe it was a package deal and it was thrown in with a bunch of other titles for their foreign branch of the company, maybe Japan is bigger on soundtracks than most countries, so on and so forth. It’s just that from my perspective, it’s really weird.

What other movie soundtracks from Hollywood movies weren’t released in the US, but did get published in other countries?

And… SpaceCamp’s already sold out. Sheesh.

The foreign label stuff is weird, because copyright laws also vary from country to country. I’m not sure what the deal was with the Japanese SpaceCamp release – that’d be a question for RCA. There’s a lot of stuff that’s UK-only, and again I couldn’t tell you why.

Considering how fast something as relatively obscure as SpaceCamp sold out, and how quickly the Predator soundtrack reissue sold out, I’m wondering if I even have a chance in hell of landing that ST:TNG box set next month. :shrug:

@Steve W wrote:

Maybe it was a package deal and it was thrown in with a bunch of other titles for their foreign branch of the company, maybe Japan is bigger on soundtracks than most countries, so on and so forth. It’s just that from my perspective, it’s really weird.

I’m not sure how exactly it works with film soundtracks, but I know as a whole, Japan is much bigger on instrumental/soundtrack music than your average American. Heck, it’s not uncommon to see video game pieces crack the Top 40 (or whatever they have as a Billboard equvialent), and some of the old guard of video game composers are treated like rock stars. Whereas, in America, nothing sells unless it has a driving beat and 50 layers of auto-tune.

Basically, I’m sure Japan would have a bigger customer base for soundtracks (and thus, a viability for a wide production print) than America (where, no doubt, it wouldn’t be economically feasible to print obscure soundtracks unless it was for a limited run, like above).

Oops… the head of the Intrada label posted this on the company site on Friday:
    @Douglass Fake wrote:

I just returned from a very pleasant out of town trip, opened up a copy of SPACECAMP to enjoy and heard a minor but none-the-less annoying jump by a few frames during track 12, about 30 seconds in. Eeehhh! Being a perfectionist, I’m contacting our manufacturer (which on this project was Sony) and asking for a new master for approval as well as replacement discs. The process will probably take about 4 weeks or so. We’ll mail out replacement copies free of charge to anyone who needs one. We’ll even pay the postage. Just give us time to get everything squared away. Some people have said they don’t notice any error. But I do. Anyway, the moment we receive the new pressings, I will spotlight it here. You don’t even have to return anything. Just holler after I post the message and we’ll send you out a new copy. It’s that simple. (Though nothing else in this wacky business ever really seems to be simple.)

Guess a wait of another month or so won’t kill anyone after all this time. Launch countdown is on hold! :wait:

I also noticed his previous blog post, which reveals one of the many reasons I love the Intrada label:
    @Douglass Fake wrote:

quick reminder for customers ordering limited edition titles that are selling quickly. If you order more than one copy of a popular title after we have posted “one to a customer” on our site, be prepared to receive just one copy. No surprise there. But for customers who may be playing the system by sending in duplicate orders, hoping each will get processed… be prepared to lose out. Jeff (and our robust NetSuite system) catches these duplicate orders. And Jeff gets pretty cranky about them. And none of us want him to get cranky because he’s the guy that spearheads order processing to begin with. And when he gets cranky, he passes it onto George and Steve, who then get cranky packaging said orders for mailing. And somewhere in there it all gets passed on down to me, who hates being cranky. So PLEASE respect the “one to a customer” guidelines when we post them. Thanks.

I like the thought that when a limited edition of 3,000 copies sells out, those 3,000 copies have gone to 3,000 different people who want it, not 300 folks who plan to flip ’em on eBay.

Gapporin
    Participant

Something I just stumbled across now…apparently Space Camp even had its own video game. Talk about obscure! Maybe there is some truth to the fact that Space Camp was a bigger hit in Japan…

Jinx send Max to MSX! I’d never heard of that. It was precisely the wrong time to do anything with a movie license in the US, that’s for sure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.