Filming begins on live-action Star Wars TV series

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Filming begins on live-action Star Wars TV series

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl Earl 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Waaaaaait, what!? Now, I remember a lot of speculation and a gradual info leak a few years back about an unproduced series with scripts brainstormed and written by the likes of Ronald D. Moore and Chris Chibnall and others [LINK]… so… is this that? Or something else entirely? [LINK]

squee

Jon Favreau’s new live action ‘Star Wars’ series created for Disney’s upcoming streaming service is set to begin filming this coming week. Details are scarce but the show will reportedly be set seven years after ‘Return of the Jedi’ and will focus on Mandalorians after the fall of the Empire. Favreau will produce and write and the show is the first live action ‘Star Wars’ TV series.

“I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.”

Favreau is thrilled to be returning to the Star Wars galaxy: “If you told me at 11 years old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe, I wouldn’t have believed you. I can’t wait to embark upon this exciting adventure.”

Disney’s collaborations with Favreau extend back a decade, when he helped launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe as director of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and as an executive producer of the Iron Man and Avengers films for Marvel Studios.

Favreau’s new show doesn’t have a title or release date yet, but it is expected sometime in 2019.

And to think, they once said it couldn’t be done. [LINK]

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

And now…we know. It’s called Star Wars: The Mandalorian. [LINK]

Mandalorian

Jon Favreau has revealed details about his forthcoming live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s streaming service. It will be titled The Mandalorian and be based on the warrior race from which bounty hunters Jango Fett and son Boba Fett sprung.

“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic,” the Iron Man and Jungle Book filmmaker posted.

Favreau will write the script and serve as EP on the series. Disney’s streaming service will contain the studio’s Pixar films and Marvel fare exclusively.

Since Rebels returned to Mandalore for extended story arcs at least twice, I wonder if we’ll suddenly be casting live-action versions of animated characters.

And you can’t say Star Trek: Discovery has had no effect on the business landscape of TV – Disney is almost certainly going to use this to launch Disney: All Access, or whatever Disney’s version of CBS: All Access is.

I see from Twitter that I’m not the only one who immediately remembered a western show called The Virginian when this title was announced; I wonder if this show will be a resurgence of a subgenre we’ve discussed in the forums before (particularly with regard to ’70s TV sci-fi), Taking Conventions Of The Western And Cramming Them Into A Sci-Fi Script. It happened a LOT in the ’70s with shows like the TV version of Logan’s Run and Planet Of The Apes because out-of-work writers who were well-known for westerns were desperately trying to stay employed and relevant in this new age of TV science fiction. Here… well, it could just be that it’s cheaper to basically make it a western, which again makes me wonder what happened to all the material gestated for the Star Wars: Underworld project.

Boba Cat

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

We now have an official still photo…and a list of directors. [LINK]

The Mandalorian

Dave Filoni, who has worked on “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and “Star Wars Rebels,” will direct the first episode of the series. “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi, Bryce Dallas Howard, “Dope’s” Rick Famuyiwa,” and Deborah Chow (“Jessica Jones”) will direct additional episodes.

Bryce Dallas Howard is, of course, the daughter of Ron Howard, who pulled Disney’s fat out of the fire by reshooting 75%+ of Solo before its release, so one wonders if her assignment here was a provision of dad’s big-screen directing gig, because while I’m well acquainted with her as an actress from the likes of Black Mirror, I haven’t heard of her directing before. (Or maybe I just haven’t been paying attention.)

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Mandalorian
    Mandalorian
    Mandalorian
    Mandalorian
    Mandalorian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.