Farewell, Modern Props

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

The source of futuristic props and setpieces used by everything from Buck Rogers to Blade Runner to TNG to Babylon 5 and beyond is closing up shop after decades in the business. If I wasn’t worried about where I’m going to be living 60 days from now, I’d tell them to just ship a bunch of it here for safe keeping. Especially the two big tubes with the rotating neon lights. This stuff has been circulating among various shows for so long that it’s been used by Richard Benjamin as Quark and Armin Shimerman as Quark. [LINK]

Modern Props

He began working out of his garage, building props for early ’70s sci fi TV programs like “Quark,” Buck Henry’s ode to a garbage collector in outer space, and “Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.” By 1977 he had moved to a 4,000-square-foot facility in Inglewood and officially established Modern Props.

Many of his props have become as iconic as the films they were in.

Zabrucky’s magnum opus, with its pair of giant elongated glass tubes that glow variously in yellow, red and orange, operated by a cutting-edge control board with dials, buttons and a joy stick, looks as if it would be right at home inside the CERN particle collider lab in Switzerland.

In the notes for one edition of Retrogram [LINK], I literally went through Modern Props’ rental website and picked out everything needed to recreate the spaceship set from an episode of the ’80s Twilight Zone. 😆 That’s how familiar these pieces are – you could almost make a drinking game out of them.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by EarlEarl.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.