Eliminating the American & British Sci-Fi forums

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen Eliminating the American & British Sci-Fi forums

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I have begun the extremely arduous task (really, bbPress? you’re providing me no facility to mass-move topics and I have to edit each individually!?) of moving the topics from the American & British sci-fi subforums to “Sci-Fi On The Screen”, formerly known as “General SF”. Nobody really seemed to be trying to delineate between them anyway, owing partly to the fact that there are now productions that you can’t pin down to a specific geographic region on a map, so we might as well eliminate/combine them. The BSG and Red Dwarf subforums will now have their own slots alongside Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who.

The Japanese sci-fi subforum will probably remain intact, since anime and tokusatsu series seem to be a much more sharply defined genre.

The former UK SF subforum has been converted into an audio-sci-fi-that-isn’t-Doctor-Who subforum…let’s face it, it’s pretty much the “what Big Finish is up to this week” area.

If there are any shows that come up often enough that they deserve their own subforums (going through old topics, Babylon 5 really seems to come up a LOT here, owing largely to the forums being populated by Geeks Of A Certain Age), suggest/request them, I’ll see what I can do.

This will take a little bit of time.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I don’t think you even need to keep individual BSG and Red Dwarf subforums, there’s really nothing to report in either one of them and it looks like that will continue for a long period of time. Babylon 5 really doesn’t need its own subforum either, since any new topics are along the lines of “wasn’t that show great?” and “another B5 actor has passed away”.

I was just thinking about Red Dwarf, oddly enough. A YouTube channel had a special about the UK show The Young Ones, and everybody in the comments (myself included) asked him to do one about Red Dwarf. When I got home from work/hell tonight it occurred to me to look and see if the old Red Dwarf Smegazine was available online – good ol’ Archive.org to the rescue. I’m actually downloading a bunch of issues right now. And any time I go looking across Archive.org, I come across a million other things that distract me. I’m currently being stunned by the terribleness of some of the Doctor Who novelization cover art.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

As I have been moving stuff around (by the way, the US & UK-specific subforums are now gone), I have been adding Topic Tags as I move things, and at this point I’ve started going through old topics and assigning tags to them as necessary. This will eliminate the need for subforums for specific shows (i.e. BSG, B5, Red Dwarf, etc.); the Major Franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who) will retain their own forums due to the sheer number of posts involved.

It will surprise no one that the tag cloud that now occupies the bottom of your forum screen (next to where you log in) is starting to hew closely to theLogBook’s longtime formula for success: ELO NASA Doctor Who. With video games thrown into the mix.

There’s some unintentional dark humor in the fact that the sheer number of obits posted over the past few years have made “Death” the forum’s #1 topic. Death: our nation’s number one killer.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Also, with the recovered early phpBB topics reintegrated into the forums after the software changeover…are you aware these forums are about to hit 10 years old? 😯

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Almost everything in the general sci-fi area has been topic-tagged, as have most of the Star Wars and Star Trek topics. I made the following nips and tucks in deference to the tag system now making things easier:

• All series-specific and fan-film-related Star Trek topics have been collapsed into a single subforum; the books/novels topics – of which there are very few – may yet be moved into the book area, where the tags will point them up as Trek-related topics. All collectibles/toys topics have been moved to the general SF collectible/toys subforum.
    • All movie & TV Star Wars topics have been collapsed into a single subforum; the books/novels topics – of which there are very few – may yet be moved into the book area, where the tags will point them up as Star Wars-related topics. All collectibles/toys topics have been moved to the general SF collectible/toys subforum.

This way, regardless of where, say, Star Trek: TNG or Star Wars: Rebels comes up, be it in their own sections, under books, soundtracks, or collectibles, you’ll be able to follow all of those discussions with the tag system. I may yet come up with a static page with easy links to the tags for specific shows or franchises.

ALL tags given to a topic now appear at the top of the original post:
    tags

…while a cloud of the most frequently discussed tag topics can be found way down at the bottom, next to where you log in:
    tags

Geez, you’d think were a bunch of morbid action figure collectors who watch a lot of Star Trek and Doctor Who around here.

I’ll keep refining the system as we go along. The tags really only affect the original posts, so if you’re responding to an existing post you don’t have to worry about it.

At this time…there are already 691 topic tags (!!), so the best thing to do if you start a new post may be to use “edit topic” at the top of the screen, which takes you to an edit screen that allows you to hunt for topic tags (either from a “frequent flyers” cloud or by typing 2 or 3 characters to see if there’s a match) before resaving. Better 691 tags than an equivalent number of subforums though.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The Topic Tag Master List page has been built; you can find it here; it’s also an option in the drop-down under “books” (which is where I’ve also squirreled away the link to the dreaded thumbnail galleries that everyone was tired of seeing 😆 ).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.