Dr. Pulaski’s diagnosis

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek 24th Century Dr. Pulaski’s diagnosis

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I think I’ve mentioned a couple thousand times before that I’m a fan of Dr. Pulaski, who only showed up for one season of TNG. Apparently the actress, Diana Muldaur, appeared at the big TNG 25th anniversary-focused Trek convention in Vegas this weekend, and shared a few memories of her time on the show. In the comments section on Trekmovie.com, someone linked to this Youtube video (which won’t show up in a search on that site), and it’s pretty fascinating stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9kDZMPg_24

Her comments on TNG take up roughly the first 25 minutes of the video linked above; after that she talks about L.A. Law (which is kind of interesting as well).

She is a little “off” about one thing – Roddenberry died in 1991, whereas her tenure was from 1988-89; she may be referring instead to Roddenberry having to cede daily oversight of TNG to Rick Berman due to his health. She keeps citing Gene’s death as the reason she left, but is probably referring to when he was no longer in an office at Paramount, actively leaving his thumbprints all over the scripts.

One interesting fact I’d never heard before: Pulaski originally had a different first name; Roddenberry allowed Muldaur to rename the character.

Interesting that she remembers Michael Dorn best out of the cast – I thought Pulaski and Worf had an interesting rapport that demanded some further development. She mentions that there was some animosity from some of the regular cast members because she was making more money than they were.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I can’t find LA Law being broadcast, and the only DVD release is in PAL format.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Guess it just doesn’t have TNG’s staying power.

It was an interesting show in its time, but oh so ’80s.

Rick Berman had this to say on Twitter about Maurice Hurley’s dismissal of Gates. Apparently even Rick professes not to know what happened!

Rick Berman@berman_rick
    Don’t know why Hurley disliked Gates; personal, professional? He talked Gene into firing her. When Hurley left a year later, I rehired her.

Rick Berman@berman_rick
    The rest is history (TNG medical history). The whole thing was a mystery to me. She’s a terrific actor and a great lady.

This is turning into one of those “who was the first actress cast as Sarah Jane Smith?” mysteries – if Rick Berman doesn’t know…does Gates? And is she ever going to spill the beans?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@zloth wrote:

I can’t find LA Law being broadcast, and the only DVD release is in PAL format.

Three years later things have changed. The first three seasons were released on DVD Region 1 back in 2014. Region 2 has the first six seasons on DVD with the last two seasons coming out later this year. More here.

NetFlix only has season one available on DVD. I don’t see streaming options from NetFlix or Amazon. It might not be available anywhere on streaming yet, maybe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed