Doom (2016)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

Doom (2016)

The classic has been rebooted and is back. Just ask Steam:

Developed by id software, the studio that pioneered the first-person shooter genre and created multiplayer Deathmatch, DOOM returns as a brutally fun and challenging modern-day shooter experience. Relentless demons, impossibly destructive guns, and fast, fluid movement provide the foundation for intense, first-person combat – whether you’re obliterating demon hordes through the depths of Hell in the single-player campaign, or competing against your friends in numerous multiplayer modes. Expand your gameplay experience using DOOM SnapMap game editor to easily create, play, and share your content with the world.

If you want to have a stark contrast in how much gaming has evolved over the years, then place this 2016 version of Doom side by side with the 1993 version of this game. The differences is startling in multiple aspects not only in the gameplay and graphics, but also the hardware that is required to run this game.

Around July, 2017, the game released it’s 6.66 patch, made all the DLC free, and was on sale for $15 (USD). This was a must-purchase. I played through the campaign mode at the “Hurt Me Plenty” settings, and it took me nine hours to get through the entire campaign. Unfortunately, the campaign storyline is on the weakest part of this game. When I got to the end, it was just “the end” with no conclusion, and no satisfactory resolution.

The graphics and gameplay, however, are excellent. I was able to get consistent 90 FPS (or higher) during the game play at 2560×1440 resolution, although I think this game is an excellent advertisement for a adaptive sync monitor. What I especially enjoyed is the “glory kill” feature which, once you weakened the enemy enough, you can perform a melee attack to rip the enemy apart and, in the process, get some health and some ammo.

What insures the replayability of this game is the same reason why the original Doom was played for several years: community maps. These custom maps allow for additional gameplay, and many a game designer got their start from custom maps from the original game.

For this old gamer, however, 24 years has passed, and my reactions aren’t what they are used to be. I won’t even try to compete with the younger kids who play Doom now.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed