Don’t know what it could be used for, but…

Hailing frequencies open… Forums theLogBook.com The Site Don’t know what it could be used for, but…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Insomnia made me do this. The whole point was to make it as terrible and as cheesy and as 1976-network-TV-movie-of-the-week-intro as possible.

I think I might’ve come dangerously close to succeeding. I can almost hear an Ernie Anderson voice-over on the thing just looking at it. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Oooooh, much like a phantom limb, when I see that I can almost feel like I’m wearing brown corduroy bellbottomed pants and a beige plaid shirt with a huge collar on it. Whenever I think of the ’70s, I usually think in sepiatones. That’s pretty much the color scheme all my childhood photographs seem to be in, everything is brown and plaid. I think that’s why everything in the early ’80s was so bright and colorful, the world got tired of the blandness of the traditional ’70s limited color spectrum.

I thought about making the yellow part the same crap-brown as the site’s name up at the top, but then I remembered from my childhood that the ’70s was all about that oh-so-wrong progression from brown to orange to a kind of dull mustard yellow. The color of trips to TG&Y and Montgomery Ward and the Odyssey 500 box. 😳

In a similar vein…

…cause, you know, the early ’80s were all about floating chrome letters/words in space (HBO movie intro, I’m looking at you).

ZLoth
    ZLoth

In order to really get that retro feel, you would need something called a “Scanimate”. See http://scanimate.zfx.com/ .

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

How hard are you gonna laugh when I tell you I recognize some of the (very analog) gear in the Asheville photo? 😳

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Not very hard. After all, I have a 2″ Ampex reel with blank tape in my closet.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Also in the “useless stuff, but at least now we have it” category…

Jump Cut City lives again after the crash/hack/deletion fiasco. At this point there isn’t much on it, but as today’s blog entry in Scribblings is fiddygibber-centric, I thought I’d better get it up and running again, even in stripped down form.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed