Doctor Who can’t be made “to the current standard” under social distancing

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who can’t be made “to the current standard” under social distancing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

If only there was a BBC licensee that had already demonstrated an ability to produce the series in audio form to a high standard while allowing everyone from cast to crew to work in the safety of their own homes…if only that were a thing, someone might be able to suggest a novel solution. [LINK]

While “socially-distanced” TV is now beginning to film again, a BBC executive has cast doubt on whether Doctor Who could return under those circumstances.

“A production like that, which at any point employs hundreds of people, freelance and staff, I don’t believe can be made to the current standard in a socially distanced environment.”

Currently, Doctor Who already has one upcoming episode filmed – the late 2020/early 2021 festive special Revolution of the Daleks – with series 13 shooting previously rumoured to be kicking off around September 2020. If Davies is correct and socially distanced filming rules still apply by that time, it could be that Who fans have to wait even longer for the new episodes than previously thought.

The solution seems amazingly obvious to me: shift Doctor Who to a radio show for this season. Have Big Finish produce it; their excellent recent release “Shadow Of The Sun” was done with everyone recording from home, post-producing from home, etc., with no loss of quality. Let Jodie and the gang do the same – it was good enough for Tom Baker, after all. Air the results on BBC Radio 1 instead of Radio 4. Promote the hell out of it.

The infrastructure to do this with Big Finish already exists. Why not?

k8trackk8track
    Participant

Yeah, I am wondering how ANY TV show is getting filmed for the next year or so. I’m dying for Season 3 of The Orville and don’t know if it will ever happen.

k8trackk8track
    Participant

I do hope that the casts and crews of all my favorite TV shows (hell, everyone) manage to survive this unscathed.

ZLothZLoth

Please don’t attempt to hold your breath.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

From what I’ve read, The Orville had filmed 8 out of 10 episodes of the third season when they shut down.

Some shows, like Apple TV’s reboot of Amazing Stories, released what they had in the can – basically, half of their season, 5 episodes out of 10. (You thought seasons were short already? Just you wait!) I wonder if The Orville might wind up doing the same once the post production work is done on the first five. Syfy used to do “half seasons” all the time not that long ago.

I heard an interesting rumor the other day, and there’s no telling where I might have heard this, that we will be getting at least part of Star Trek: Lower Decks before we get any of season 3 of Discovery, because the animated show (which, by the way, I’m really looking forward to) is closer to completion than Discovery is.

But the flipside of the half-season, release-what-you-have-now argument is: what’s the incentive for the streaming services to roll out anything especially fast right now? They literally have a captive audience, especially since some states are realizing that their rush to reopen everything may have been premature… and you’re going to wind up with a lot of people stuck at home, again. If people are already shelling out because you have Friends or Cheers or The Simpsons…what’s the big hurry on doing anything new?

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

But the flipside of the half-season, release-what-you-have-now argument is: what’s the incentive for the streaming services to roll out anything especially fast right now?

Because the majority of subscribers routinely drop their subscription if they don’t see anything interesting on the service. Once they see something interesting on that service, they’ll add it back on again. Don’t forget the roller-coaster ride HBO was on between seasons of Game of Thrones. Streaming services have got to come up with new material regularly or risk losing subscribers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.