DO WANT: "’70s Kenner style" Twilight Zone action figures

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction General SF Collectibles DO WANT: "’70s Kenner style" Twilight Zone action figures

This topic contains 40 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

First impression, I was confused why there were Donnie & Marie action figures posing with Gremlins figures. Then I wondered why Donnie wasn’t with Marie, but with a Sarah Jane Smith figure, and posing with Gremlins.

More Gremlins.

They seem so happy.

Flash… aaaahhhh… he’ll save every… oh, wait. Sorry, false alarm, different Flash.

Flack
    Participant

@earl wrote:

Flash… aaaahhhh… he’ll save every… oh, wait. Sorry, false alarm, different Flash.

So here we go from stuff that should’ve had action figures first time out, to… WTFland.

So…um…there you go. These are all out in July.

Apparently Funko has overreached with the ReAction brand; they’re starting to cancel stuff that was already announced and shown at Toy Fair (example: the only female character in the Gremlins line). You can find ReAction figures DEEP discounted at Toys R Us and Barnes & Noble – as in “back to 1980s Kenner prices”. The Universal Monsters, Goonies, Terminator and horror movie lines have all wound up on clearance. I think they overproduced. If anything saves them at this point, it’ll be the classic Star Trek line, but even there you find a lot of Gorns and Orion dancing girls still on the pegs.

Big Bang Pow is up next at bat; we’ll see if they do any better.

Flash Gordon 3 3/4″

Kiss 3 3/4″

(This set is about $160…yikes)

Twilight Zone 3 3/4″ Wave 2

Another Comic Con exclusive; since it’s a 5-figure set I imagine it isn’t cheap.

Big Bang Theory 3 3/4″

Yes, every other figure IS Sheldon, but I’m holding out for one wearing an Astrosmash shirt. And again, there was a Comic Con exclusive set, which was apparently the only way to get Stuart…

At last… Sheldon and Leonard can do battle with Ming the Merciless, little Billy Mumy, and KISS!

I wonder if Sheldon’s figures will be $2 more expensive than everyone else just because of the copyright clearances on the superhero logos.

I could take issue with almost all of these selections. Where are Dale and Dr. Zarkov? Where is Klytus? (Without Klytus…I’m bored.) Where’s WHEEEEEEEEAAAAAAATOOOOOOOOOONNNN? (My old Wesley Crusher figure from the ’90s is in the wrong scale.)

But then again…Funko/ReAction jumped in feet-first and overdid it, possibly wearing out the market for these before Bif Bang Pow could get there. These are specialty/novelty/nostalgia items. They’re not meant to be stocked at Target and Wal-Mart (and yet they are). I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve been able to get, but Funko cranked out too many, too fast.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I noticed that every shirt Sheldon is wearing (except the last one – not sure what that is) is from DC Comics. Maybe they got a sweet deal from DC Comics and that lowered the cost a little of the licensing. *shrug*

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

Apparently Funko has overreached with the ReAction brand; they’re starting to cancel stuff that was already announced and shown at Toy Fair (example: the only female character in the Gremlins line).

I just read that the Kate Beringer figure from Gremlins was cancelled for a different reason, it turns out that Phoebe Cates didn’t approve of it. I don’t know specifics, if it’s because it looks nothing like her or if she isn’t interested in having any weird merchandise with her face on it from an ’80s movie out there.

Just in time for Christmas (and New York Toy Fair), one more ReAction product – the Nostromo crew from Alien! Despite the cheery colorful spacesuits, yeah, I’d like this. ๐Ÿ˜†

(The packaging is a riff on “special action figure sets” marketed by Kenner from shelf-warming Star Wars figures that had been overproduced in the early ’80s.)

@ubikuberalles wrote:

I noticed that every shirt Sheldon is wearing (except the last one – not sure what that is) is from DC Comics. Maybe they got a sweet deal from DC Comics and that lowered the cost a little of the licensing. *shrug*

Actually, NO. I wandered into Hastings tonight for the first time in about 2 1/2 months, and saw quite a healthy selection of the Bif Bang Pow Big Bang Theory figures (sorry, yes, I had to say that) warming the pegs. Why? For little Star-Wars-scale figures that are, let’s face it, niche compared to Star Wars itself… they want $16 each for them. And the paint work looks terrible. I didn’t see a single Sheldon who didn’t look jaundiced. Screw that. I instantly thought of your post about how each one had a DC Comics logo on it… I betcha that’s at least $3 per figure right there.

Ironically, I DID pick up a BBP Flash Gordon figure – apparently Flash is the only character they’re stocking at my Hastings. It was $12 – more expensive than the average ReAction figure. Speaking of ReAction, I picked up a Fifth Element figure I hadn’t been able to find elsewhere, which was marked down to $6, so it all averages out.

I really want the rest of the Flash Gordon line. I want to send them back in time to myself as a kid so I have them to team up with Buck Rogers. Just seems fitting somehow.

ReAction is cranking out a horror-themed character – yes, just one – in time for Halloween.

Um…thanks, guys…?

ReAction’s doing Rocky Horror in January.

Crap. I don’t get a 3 3/4″ action figure of Meat Loaf? What gives? I was totally gonna book him a gig on the Death Star, with Christmas Gizmo backing him up on keyboards.

Biff Bang Pow isn’t wasting the sculpts for the Twilight Zone “Five Characters In Search Of An Exit” collection; they’ll be available on their own in B&W.

See, the guy with the bagpipes could totally have joined Gizmo in backing up Meat Loaf. What am I gonna do now? Shell out for KISS? Too expensive, man! ๐Ÿ˜†

ReAction seems to be backing off on the insane schedule of dropping entire collections, but there is some new stuff coming out…

[attachment=5:2coxlilm]ReActionTDCLandStrider1.jpg[/attachment:2coxlilm]

The really big news is the fantastic-looking Dark Crystal figures. This is a really promising-looking collection – rather than angling for the “generic Kenner” look, they’re actually doing some sculpting and making an effort.

[attachment=0:2coxlilm]VintageDarkCrystal1.jpg[/attachment:2coxlilm]

This page shows us some more prototypes and prototype backing cards.

[attachment=1:2coxlilm]TF-2016-Super-7-Booth-018.jpg[/attachment:2coxlilm]
    [attachment=2:2coxlilm]TF-2016-Super-7-Booth-017.jpg[/attachment:2coxlilm]
    [attachment=3:2coxlilm]TF-2016-Super-7-Booth-011.jpg[/attachment:2coxlilm]

The same page also previews the 3 3/4″ scale He-Man figures, which we’ve known about for quite a long time. Not that fascinated here – I will admit, I kinda skipped the GI Joe/He-Man/Transformers era, because I had discovered computers and modems and BBSes. I look at these, and I think… well… okay. Fewer action poses, less articulation, more neutral expressions = …less money in everyone’s wallets? Eh.

[attachment=6:2coxlilm]heman_card_1024x1024-e1455852468855.jpg[/attachment:2coxlilm]
    [attachment=4:2coxlilm]skeletor_card_sm_1024x1024-e1455852486447.jpg[/attachment:2coxlilm]

Just not sure I see the appeal.

Still kinda disappointed that there’s apparently no more classic Trek (or any kind of Trek for that matter) forthcoming, but I am very interested in the Mega Man figures, so long as they steer clear of the “look” that was established in the original NES box art. ๐Ÿ˜†

I… uh… the hell!? ReAction Exclusive from NYC Comic Con…

…you know, I guess there is some “WTF” value to having them riding Tauntauns, Dewbacks, a Landspeeder, etc.

Thank you for being a friend, ReAction. ๐Ÿ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed