Disney's requirements for 'Star Wars' movie have angered some movie theaters

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media The Biz Disney's requirements for 'Star Wars' movie have angered some movie theaters

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Business Insider:

Disney’s requirements for the new ‘Star Wars’ movie have angered some movie theaters

According to The Wall Street Journal, movie theaters can show “The Last Jedi” only if they agree that Disney gets 65% of ticket sale revenue, which is the largest cut a studio has ever asked from theaters. They also have to show the movie in their largest auditoriums for at least four weeks.

Ignoring these terms would lead to Disney charging the theater an additional 5% (so that means Disney would take 70% of sales).

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I wonder if this could lead to repercussions for Disney’s less attractive movies. I can see a scenario where the theaters are saying “Fine. We’ll pay your damn 65% for Star Wars but we’re paying less for your movies that aren’t blockbusters. Or maybe we won’t show those movies at all and show movies from other studios instead.” The Star Wars franchise will last only so long. Five or ten years down the road Disney may find itself in a world of hurt if it is unable to get the concessions it is currently getting due to Star Wars.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

It could be that Disney also sees that down the road and they’re trying to make hay while the twin suns of Tatooine shine.

Still…kinda brazen.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed