Disney+ Info-Dump

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 5 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

As the Disney+ presentation (covering Disney’s new streaming service that will be the home of all things Marvel and Star Wars later this year) was unfolding, the pertinent details were also being live-tweeted by Disney’s official account.

Disney+

Here’s the firehose of info, open up wide:

Looking for all the latest #DisneyPlus news in one spot? Follow this thread for live updates from 2-6 p.m. PT today!

Here we go… #DisneyPlus will allow downloading, so all content from the service can be accessed offline!

Higher. Further. Faster. #xdf1f; @MarvelStudios’ Captain Marvel will be taking flight on day one of #DisneyPlus.

Just announced: you can make your dream #DisneyPlus profile by building your own custom avatar with characters from our library!

#DisneyPlus will come with customized settings and individual profiles!

Over the next two years, #DisneyPlus will launch in each major region of the world!

On #DisneyPlus, you’ll be able to experience the entire Signature Collection on the first day of launch.

Into the Unknown: Making #Frozen2 is a first-of-its-kind documentary series taking audiences behind the scenes of the highly anticipated animated film.

Just keep streaming, streaming, streaming! All @Pixar films will be available on #DisneyPlus the first year of launch.

Short & sweet announcement: all @Pixar theatrical shorts will be on #DisneyPlus at launch!

Get to know @ToyStory’s newest star in Forky Asks A Question, a series of @Pixar shorts, coming on day one of #DisneyPlus

Have you herd? @ToyStory’s Bo Peep will be coming home to #DisneyPlus in her very own @Pixar short, Lamp Life.

@Marvel fans, unite! Elizabeth Olsen and @Paul_Bettany star as Wanda Maximoff and The Vision in a new #DisneyPlus series, WandaVision.

Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan are teaming up in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, a @Marvel series on #DisneyPlus.

More from @Marvel: Loki, a new series starring Tom Hiddleston, is coming to #DisneyPlus.

The greatest news in the galaxy: All @StarWars films will roll out within the first year of #DisneyPlus.

@diegoluna_ and @AlanTudyk are joining forces once again for a new show based on Cassian Andor on #DisneyPlus.

Get ready. @Jon_Favreau’s The Mandalorian, the first ever live-action @StarWars series, premieres on #DisneyPlus at launch.

The extensive #DisneyPlus movie library is endlessly enchanting: Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland (2010), and much more will all be available the day #DisneyPlus launches.

Unwrap holiday magic in Noelle, starring Anna Kendrick, Bill Hader, and more. Coming to #DisneyPlus.

Directed by Academy Award winner Tom McCarthy, the new Disney original film Timmy Failure is coming to #DisneyPlus in year one.

The stars are aligning. Based on the @NYTimes Best Selling Book, Stargirl will be on #DisneyPlus in year one!

Togo, a new original film starring Willem Dafoe, tells the real-life tale of a man and his lead sled dog’s incredible journey through the Alaskan tundra. Look for it in year one on #DisneyPlus.

This calls for a plate of spaghetti for two! Live-action Lady and the Tramp is making its way to #DisneyPlus at launch!

Explore the wonders of the world with more than 250 hours of content from @NatGeo when #DisneyPlus launches…and that includes Academy Award winner Free Solo!

The World According to Jeff Goldblum, from @NatGeo, premieres on #DisneyPlus at launch.

Cetus-Lupeedus! 5,000 episodes of @DisneyChannel content and 100 Disney Channel Original Movies will stream on #DisneyPlus at launch.

Make way for more fun! The Phineas and Ferb Movie, a new animated adventure, will be coming exclusively to #DisneyPlus.

It’s the start of something really new! High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is coming to #DisneyPlus.

From The Sound of Music to Malcolm In The Middle, #DisneyPlus is bringing stories of all kinds to one place.

In year one, you’ll be able to rediscover more than 7,500 episodes and 500 films from our library on #DisneyPlus.

Everything’s coming up #DisneyPlus! @TheSimpsons will be making #DisneyPlus their exclusive home for streaming, starting at launch.

I appreciate that downloads from Disney+ will be possible. I think that’ll be a tipping point for a lot of people. My advice if you have a media server or want to keep stuff around: move it out of whatever directory the inevitable Disney+ app will put files in ASAP. We’ve already seen in recent years where Amazon in particular has decided to go in an snatch stuff back off of our devices…and frankly, that practice is a load of crap.

Diego Luna AND Alan Tudyk for the Rogue One prequel series? YES! Looks like we can expect both The Mandalorian and the last season of Clone Wars on day one.

Perhaps not surprisingly, no mention of the rumored Obi-Wan miniseries [LINK].

I like the pitches for the various Marvel series. This will let them keep at least the heroes-on-the-periphery from the current “generation” of the Avengers in circulation while the movies hand the baton over to a newer – and cheaper – group of cast members and characters out of necessity.

Maggie Simpson is now a Disney princess.

I have a feeling that, with the recent merger, you can probably expect all things Disney and 20th Century Fox to vanish from Netflix…and probably iTunes and Amazon as well. For better or worse, Disney+ is where the real streaming arms race is going to start going down. Those of us with finite budgets? We’ll be the early casualties.

The winners? Well, you figure it out: whoever is running and selling VPN services. You know why.

While I’m looking forward to some of the programming, I predict that the bubble for a thriving streaming TV ecosystem will be even shorter than the lifespan of broadcast television. It’s going to get too expensive and too exclusive for anyone to afford. It’s pretty much the opposite of what we were hoping for from a la carte cable channel selection.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I appreciate that downloads from Disney+ will be possible. I think that’ll be a tipping point for a lot of people. My advice if you have a media server or want to keep stuff around: move it out of whatever directory the inevitable Disney+ app will put files in ASAP.

You think it would be that easy? Uh…. no.

Go ahead, prove me wrong, but I think what will happen is that you can download a movie/show through the application to a phone/tablet/laptop. The file will be encrypted, and you can only play it through the application for playback on that mobile device or chromecast to your television. Thus, you can keep the kids entertained while on a long trip without burning up the mobile data.

They are also talking about bundling E$PN and Hulu with Disney+.

Just another nail in the coffin of physical media. We already heard that Samsung won’t be releasing any new models of the BluRay/4K players. I would be worried if I was broadcast television since the talked-about shows aren’t on broadcast TV, they are on streaming media.

Of course, the studios will figure out a way to kill another goose that laid the golden eggs.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Also – not the bury the lede or anything – but apparently “day one” = November 12th.

$6.99/month if you pay monthly, $69.99/year if you pay once annually.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Pond? Meet ripples: “Netflix Stock Falls After Disney+ Presentation” [LINK]

On Thursday afternoon, The Walt Disney Company changed the streaming landscape for good with a presentation of its upcoming service, Disney+. The new streaming option, which will contain the entire Disney library (including Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars), instantly became a trending topic around the world, and already has fans excited to subscribe when it launches in November. The best part? Disney+ will only cost $6.99 per month, or $69.99 per year. That’s about half the price of Netflix right now. As you can imagine, this presentation was not great news for Netflix, and the company’s stocks are already reflecting that.

According to CNBC, Netflix shares dropped by 2% on Friday morning following the Disney+ presentation. That may not sound like a big dip, but that drop shed around $3.2 billion from Netflix’s market value. Disney’s service doesn’t launch for another six months, and it’s already cutting into Netflix’s business.

Given the vast amount of IP Disney already owns, it doesn’t have to pay any licensing fees to other companies in order to compile an A-list streaming service. Netflix still has to do that for anything that isn’t an original. Because it owns its own library, Disney can keep its prices low, hurting Netflix and its ever-increasing costs.

Brushing it off

The article further mentions that Disney’s Achilles’ heel will being staying within a family-friendly safe zone. I have a feeling a second, specialized channel will eventually emerge to accomodate the freshly no-longer-contractually-forbidden characters of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, et al. in a couple of years in response to that. But really, it’s kind of hard to truly spin that into a negative. What does Netflix do, change their slogan to “NETFLIX: We can say ‘shit’ and ‘fuck’ on our shows!“?

ZLoth
    ZLoth

With the acquisition of Fox Studios, Disney effectively has a good chunk of your childhood. And, since the name is Disney, it’s a slam dunk for people looking for family-friendly content.

I wonder what is going to happen at this point with carriage negotiations with the cable providers. Since E$PN and Disney are both desired channels, will they use that as leverage so that traffic from Disney+ does not count towards the customers data cap. Comcast won’t like that.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

One reason I signed on to CBS All Access at the $9.99 tier was the promise of being able to download Discovery episodes for offline viewing. I can’t seem to find that option anywhere. So I… acquire… them by… other means.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

https://www.cbs.com/recommended/news/1008788/how-to-watch-tv-shows-offline-with-download-play-from-cbs-all-access/

How-To-Watch-TV-Shows-Offline-With-Download-Play-2019-04-14-01-12-59

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I had no idea Twin Peaks was now under the CBS umbrella. Cheers, yes, because it was produced by Paramount, but Twin Peaks? Wow.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Hollywood Reporter:

Hulu Buys Back AT&T’s Stake at $15B Valuation
    AT&T’s nearly 10 percent stake in the streamer was worth $1.43 billion.

Hulu has agreed to buy back AT&T’s stake in its business in a deal that values the streamer at $15 billion. (text deleted) Founded in 2006, Hulu was originally conceived as a joint venture that would allow the broadcasters to address the growing threat of streaming video. Its first stakeholders were NBC and Fox (via owner News Corp.) and Disney bought into the joint venture in 2009. Time Warner, renamed WarnerMedia after its sale to AT&T, purchased a 10 percent stake in Hulu in 2016 for $583 million, valuing the streamer at $5.8 billion. Disney became Hulu’s majority owner earlier this year when it acquired most of the assets of 21st Century Fox, including its 30 percent Hulu stake. With AT&T’s sale of its Hulu share, the company is now owned by Disney and Comcast’s NBCUniversal.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

So, there you go…. all Disney “family friendly” content will be on Disney+, what’s not will be on the Disney-owned Hulu.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.