Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction British / Australian SF Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/575087/douglas_adams_dirk_gentlys_holistic_detective_agency_coming_to_bbc.html

Looks like the BBC is in production on a pilot for a Dirk Gently TV series. The pilot seems to be based on the first book from the description. If it’s successful enough they’ll commission a full series, which makes me wonder what kind of stories they’ll tell, considering there were only two books and an incomplete story in The Salmon of Doubt they can translate into scripts before having to come up with new material.

Wow, I didn’t see that one coming, at all. I will admit, however, to not being as big a fan of Dirk Gently as I was of HHG.

I wonder if fans will be as “proprietorial” about Dirk Gently as they were about Hitchhiker’s Guide. I thought the 2005 movie of Hitchhiker was excellent – far better than I think anyone was expecting given that Hollywood’s fingers were in the pie (and especially Disney’s fingers) – but a lot of people seemed awfully pissed off about one thing or another, specifically the movie not being “true” to the book, never mind the fact that the story had changed drastically from medium to medium, and that the book wasn’t even the original iteration of the story. I’m just wondering if Dirk Gently will face the same ridiculously intense scrutiny, especially if they have to start scripting original, non-Adams material to keep a series fed.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I didn’t care for the Hitchhiker’s movie because the story wasn’t all that good. It took elements from all the various HHGG media, added a few new things, and it just didn’t gel for me. I’m sure that one of the problems was they wanted to create a single film rather than something planned with sequels in mind, since Douglas was gone a few years by the time the movie came out. And another thing was that I didn’t care for the actors at all. They all work well in other movies, but failed to create any kind of onscreen spark (especially Sam Rockwell’s portrayal of Zaphod). One the good side, the movie did start my thing for Zooey Deschanel. Sigh.

I don’t think Dirk Gently would be under the same amount of scrutiny, since it wasn’t such a well-loved story in comparison to HHGG. I think it might suffer from not having Douglas Adams particular sense of humor. A lot of writers can create zany concepts for episodes, it’s just that Douglas had his own dry British style of comedy writing that won’t have an influence on the scripts without his direct involvement. I’m hoping for the best, but also staying cautious.

@Steve W wrote:

One the good side, the movie did start my thing for Zooey Deschanel. Sigh.

On this much, we’re in full agreement. I even sat through parts of SyFy’s craptastic updating of Wizard of Oz a few years ago just to see her… but I couldn’t watch the whole thing. Sorry, Zooey. I guess my lust only goes so far.

My enjoyment of the Hitchhiker’s Guide movie came from the fact that it didn’t ape any one other particular iteration of the story. The story had changed so many times – from the original radio plays, to the books, to the records (which were kinda sorta but not completely the same as the radio shows), to the Infocom game… a straightforward A-B-C progression of specific events had clearly never been held sacred by Adams himself, so that’s good enough for me. People were up in arms that the movie wasn’t sticking to the book’s plot outline; but where were the people complaining that the book didn’t stick to the radio plot outline? Part of the fun of squeezing Hitchhiker into yet another medium is precisely to see what has changed this time around. I’m not sure what medium it hasn’t ventured into yet – interpretive dance, maybe. Origami. (Watch someone link to a papercraft Marvin figurine and prove me wrong here.)

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Origami. (Watch someone link to a papercraft Marvin figurine and prove me wrong here.)

How about knitting?

or sewing?

or needlepoint:

Ah ha! Papercraft!

]
    Well, it’s not complete.

And here’s the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aBOl1OW7nnM

“…coming soon to BBC 4.”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It’s the guy who played the commander of the Green Javelins from Hyperdrive. Wow, that guy really has unfortunate hair, then and now.

I’m not all that sure what to make of this. I kind of expected Dirk to be a little older than him, for one thing. If they can take the great premise and do something intelligent with it, I guess I’ll be happy, whether or not it strays away from Douglas’s original books.

Apparently Dirk Gently aired tonight on BBC4… was this really the only promotion for it? A bit odd for something that’s not such an obvious, on-the-nose show that it can take off under its own steam. Something like this really needs a bit of TLC in terms of introducing it to the public.

I guess we’ll see if it goes to series.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So, I bought the audiobook of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency a couple of months or so ago. I’ve finally gotten around to re-listening to it (I used to have it on cassette tape). I’ve read the book also, and to be honest, my memories about the main thrust of the story is pretty fuzzy. So I was listening to the audiobook (usually I only listen to audiobooks when I’m going to sleep) and I started to realize – this is Douglas Adams’ script for the unfinished Doctor Who episode Shada. It’s been drastically overhauled, considering there’s no Timelords in the Dirk Gently universe. I know that Douglas Adams had crippling problems with writer’s block, but I didn’t think he reused everything. I have no idea how he managed to get scripts completed in a timely manner, considering it took him years to put new books out.

@Steve W wrote:

this is Douglas Adams’ script for the unfinished Doctor Who episode Shada. It’s been drastically overhauled, considering there’s no Timelords in the Dirk Gently universe. I know that Douglas Adams had crippling problems with writer’s block, but I didn’t think he reused everything.

This has been a pretty well-known bit of “recycling” for many years – also, compare the “queen held in suspended animation” plot points from The Pirate Planet and the first Hitchhiker’s novel. This is also why Adams would never sign off on, much less write, a novelization of Shada, no matter how much money the publishers of the Doctor Who TV novelizations tried to come up with to throw at him. He was actually unhappy when the Tom Baker-narrated VHS tape of Shada, using all of the existing footage, came out in the 1990s – he had apparently signed off on it without realizing it.

Looks like we get more episodes – well, a few more. [LINK]

After a one-shot airing in December, BBC Four is ordering three new episodes of its Dirk Gently series. Based on Douglas Adams‘ novel, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, the show garnered decent ratings and buzz to merit a few more installments.

More info from the Radio Times here [LINK]:

It will return later this year for three more 60-minute episodes following the adventures of shambolic private eye Dirk Gently as he attempts to solve mysteries based on his belief in “the fundamental interconnectedness of all things”.

A BBC4 spokesperson told RadioTimes.com that the new stories would also feature the detective’s sometime sidekick Richard and his girlfriend Susan but said that Darren Boyd and Helen Baxendale, who played the parts in the pilot, were yet to be confirmed for the series.

The show is adapted by Howard Overman, who also wrote Misfits and BBC2’s own offbeat detective series Vexed.

I guess I need to make room for another episode guide, even though the sum total of show barely amounts to a miniseries.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I wonder if the newly written scripts can match up with Douglas’s original stories.

I have yet to track the pilot show down. I need to zip off to the Youtubes and do that.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

New trailer from SDCC.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Full trailer for season 2.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

OK, you’re confusing me by posting stuff about the new series in this thread, which was dormant for six years, and yet we have another thread where we were talking about the new series: http://www.thelogbook.com/bb8/forums/topic/dirk-gently-returns-in-march/

Do we carry on like nothing happened? Create a third thread? Or do we merge the threads? After all they are, well, connected.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed