Dark Matter

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

There was so little context, nothing stuck out to me as a spoiler.

Another minor spoiler: David Hewlett guest stars in episode 7 of the second season (he showed off the cover of his script on Twitter, but not enough to see the title).

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, season 2 just started, and they are really sticking with the episodic plot twist/cliffhanger notion that the first season did pretty well. It’s going to be interesting to say the least as to how they’re going to explain the ending of this episode. It doesn’t feel like they’ve changed the show around too much, unlike Killjoys. Killjoys season 2 feels like it had a bit of a reorganization behind the scenes (at least they finally explained how those four planets relate to each other – one’s really a super-Earth and the others are moons orbiting nightmarishly close to it and each other) and a new theme song that’s not so Britney Spears-ish.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Part of me feels like none of what is going on is real in that episode. Or, at least it is not what it appears to be. First of all, I feel that Six shouldn’t trust what the GA is telling him. Is he really a GA agent? I’m thinking no. They just told him that to make certain things happen.

Two using that VR set up in the solitary confinement cell may be a clue as to what is really going on. Or it’s a red herring meant to confuse and frighten us (yes, I am a caveman TV watcher). It could also be a clue on how they will escape from the prison.

Also, just before One meets his doppelganger (wait, One is the doppelganger…whatever) he says “I’m ready”. Ready for what? I think that is a hint into how the cliff hanger is resolved.

At one point I was thinking that maybe they are all in this room hooked up to tubes and a computer and they are in virtual space and soon they’ll be back in the real world on the ship. However, that would be a cop-out and a bad cliché . I hope that DOESN’T happen and if it does, I’ll be shouting NO! so loudly that you can hear it as far away as Dallas (actually I’ll probably mutter UGH loudly but you can’t hear a mutter from that far a way no matter how loud I mutter).

We’ve been introduced to one new character in the show. That prisoner who fought Two in the prison. Are the producers and writers planning on making her a regular cast member? If so, that might

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well… it seems that One’s big moment at the end of the first episode wasn’t a red herring, he’s really been written off the show. I did like how they set it up, with him investigating his wife’s murder, making you think that the ending didn’t really happen or there was some kind of trickery going on. It made you feel more invested in the character’s story and made you not want to believe it when they pulled the rug out from underneath us.

I do like the Android’s Kryten-like defiance of her programming and becoming independent. Plus, I really like the actress’s take on an allegedly emotionless android, the sometimes dazed look on her face makes me laugh for some reason.

They seem to be clearing out the cast this season. I guess Roger Cross is too good of an actor to be on a rinky-dink little sci-fi show like this, so he had to be written out. It’s a shame, I liked the cast in their first season dynamic. But I guess now they have some more decent Canuck actors to add to the crew roster, if their characters stick around and don’t betray them the next chance they get.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

If Season two marks the dissolution of the first six cast members then the show has jumped the shark, nuked the fridge or whatever and I’ll be losing my interest. As far as I am concerned the show was all about the story of these six characters and, if they are going to kill off these six one by one, then I won’t care anymore. I don’t give a crap about the new characters, there is no mystery like the original six. It’s all about the six. That’s it. Period.

Even killing off just one of the six is a mortal sin, as far as I am concerned. Kill off One (and possibly Six) and I’ll only stick around to see if they come back. They don’t come back? I’m done. No season three for me.

Also, if they plan to keep that new woman around, they need to call her seven. I ain’t calling her Nyx. That just ain’t right.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Joseph Mallozzi has confirmed that the show is dead.

It is with great sadness that I confirm the news. Syfy has cancelled Dark Matter after three seasons.

To say that I’m incredibly disappointed would be an understatement.

I’ll save my comments and field your questions in a future blog entry. For today, I just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to my amazing crew, my wonderful cast, and to all of you, our incredible fans.

You all deserved better.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, crap. I can see why people would drift away – the first season had all sorts of twists and turns and cliffhangers, the second season less so, and now it feels like they’re running out of ideas to keep people hooked. I liked the character dynamics which kept me tuning in. The season ending on the “alien invasion from another dimension/galaxy/universe” trope showed just how much steam they were running out of. I had really hoped for better. I’ll still miss the show, though.

How about Killjoys? Is that going to continue plodding along, or will SyFy cancel it like their horrific track record demonstrates they will?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

They covered many of the main tropes pretty quickly in this show. In the previous season we got to see their evil twins and this season they went back in time to 21st century. They jumped the shark when they had a Groundhog day episode. When aliens invading from another universe showed up, I was rolling my eyes.

In the first season, the show was about a voyage of discovery: each crew member – including the android – was in the process of learning about themselves. I was intrigued and that’s why I watched. They pretty much abandoned that approach somewhere in season two. Four recovered all his memories, which was a big mistake, and the show suffered as a result. There should have been a line in the show’s bible that none of the crew should recover all their memories because I think the main premise of the show is that these foul people got a new lease on life and we are watching them on their path to redemption. By season three they became nothing but a bunch of guys having adventures in space. Meh.

If they announced the cancellation back in July, I would have objected. But then they introduced the H.P. Lovecraft aliens from another universe and I stopped caring.

Well, stopped caring as much. I still liked the show and I would have watched season four, just with less enthusiasm.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

What shocks me is that, not only did they cancel Dark Matter, they renewed Killjoys for two more seasons (10 episodes each). The idea behind that is so the creators of Killjoys can wrap up the storyline with a definitive ending. I wish Dark Matter had been given that kind of treatment, since they had a five year story arc planned out.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Two more seasons of Killjoys? You have got to be kidding me. I was even less interested in that show.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed