Dark Matter

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So, I finally sat down and watched the first three episodes, and I can see why people like it more than Killjoys. And I definitely see the resemblance to Firefly in the character types. And there’s a good amount of mystery happening, which I can’t imagine will last all that long. With the way they’re rattling off answers to everybody’s questions, by the end of the season they’ll have unraveled all the mysteries and the show will lose an amount of its appeal. Hopefully the characters will be able to blossom and make it worth waiting around for a second season, if SyFy doesn’t cancel it.

I really like the android, the actress is playing her fairly quirky. The goofy hairstyle and the oddly perky mannerisms are fairly entertaining to watch. Although there’s still the mystery of why she attacked them when she woke up. At the speed this show’s going, they’ll probably have an explanation within a couple episodes.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, after four episodes of Dark Matter and three episodes of Killjoys, I’ll have to concede that Dark Matter is the better show. Every episode gives us more of a glimpse of what’s really going on without ever truly answering questions, and it has a much better cast. Meanwhile, I gave up halfway through the last episode of Killjoys after losing interest. The creators of Dark Matter have a good pedigree in science-fiction (Stargate SG-1), and it shows.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Wow. Quick turnaround for you, Steve! So far I’ve only watched 2 episodes of Dark Matter and the pilot for Killjoys. I’ve got some TV watching to catch up on!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, I liked Killjoys for the first two episodes, but hadn’t seen Dark Matter yet. I think both of those shows being on at the same time might be a mistake by the network. Killjoys would be a perfectly fine show on its own and it could build up an audience for the first year, then they could introduce Dark Matter the year after. Having both running in the same season makes Killjoys look kind of pale in comparison. Dark Matter has a good cast and an interesting theme, and Killjoys looks like generic Canadian sci-fi.

The one drawback of both shows is that they reek of Canadian-ness. Really, SyFy, the same actor is in both pilot episodes? Are there so few decent actors in Canada? I’m amazed that, with so much TV production happening in Vancouver, that American actors who can’t hack it in the highly competitive market in Los Angeles don’t go up to Vancouver in droves. It seems like they’re starved for decent actors up there.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Wow. I just watch a Killjoys episode for the first time in a while and I was…um…bored. The whole show was reminding me of Dark Matter. I think it’s because some of he characters look too much like characters in Dark Matter and the look and feel of the show is too similar to Dark Matter. So I prefer Dark Matter much more than Killjoys.

Time to play catch-up…

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

The show is getting more and more interesting as we learn more about each character. I particularly liked the “Clone transporter” and what they did with it in episode 8.

The only negative to the show so far is episode five with the Zombie ship. Yawn.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Has any one else noticed that the android has had her ass kicked in just about every episode? I don’t think it’s been every episode but darn close.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

She’s sort of the new Worf character – to show how tough the episode’s bad guy is, the android has to get its head kicked in.

I do like the way the characters are evolving. Even the android is moving away from her programming and is worrying about becoming more emotional. I thought at the beginning of the series they’d peter out with all the shocking revelations after the first few episodes, but they’re constructing their backstories in a well paced way that’s making the show a lot better than I expected it to be. And I’m going to call it – Two will turn out to be the traitor who wiped their memories. She’s the only character who’s backstory hasn’t been revealed, just her weird healing abilities (which I’m sure will result in her returning after the end of the most recent episode).

Dark Matter renewed for a 13 episode second season! [LINK]

Dark Matter put up a solid first season but seems to still be working out exactly what to do with its amnesiac crew of mercenaries. It definitely had a Stargate vibe in regard to the look and feel (which makes sense, since it shares much of the creative team and some cast members). But it ended on a WTF cliffhanger twist that just didn’t really work. Here’s hoping they can pay it off in year two and get the story back on track.

Kind of an odd sales pitch for Syfy’s own internal news organ, really… 😕

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Yeah, I can understand why everybody thinks that way, having one of the nicer members of the crew betray everybody. It was an interesting twist, but it seemed to come out of nowhere. There wasn’t any build-up to it, we didn’t see Six wringing his hands in worry over what he was doing.

I can see the group getting splintered from this point. One isn’t a wanted criminal but a wealthy corporate CEO hunting down the man who he thinks murdered his wife, and Five is just a runaway and a pickpocket, and doesn’t have a warrant, so she’ll probably be let go, possibly into One’s care. Two might get carted off to some lab to be examined, and Four will get shipped off to his homeworld to face judgement by his half-brother/king. One might have to use his wealth to wrangle the team back together, maybe under his corporation’s banner.

I was thinking that Two would be the one who erased everybody’s memories and be the secret bad guy in the group, since they never bothered delving into her backstory. That is, until Wil Wheaton’s character showed up. So next season I’d like to have it explained why Six betrayed everybody (which depends whether or not the actor will come back for a second year of episodes – decent Canadian actors are hard to find, they’re spread thin up there) and I’d like to know more of Three’s backstory. They make him seem like a Jayne from Firefly type of character, I think it’d be interesting if he regains his memories and discovers that he’s not the bad-ass that he’s been acting like this whole time.

I’m glad that the remake of Blake’s 7 didn’t make it past the planning phase, but when I think about it, shows like Dark Matter nicely takes the torch and runs with it. They’ve made a science-fiction show with 7 crew members about a bunch of criminals dealing with dark subjects and sticking it to the authority. We don’t always need a remake, it’s nice when somebody takes some themes from a classic show and uses them as flavoring for a new and unique show that can stand on its own merits rather than having to live in the shadow of its predecessor.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I noticed the other night that Dark Matter is on NetFlix streaming. So, if you have NetFlix and want to rewatch the series, nows your chance.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I binged watched Dark Matter over the weekend and I discovered a couple things I missed the first time around:

– Missed seeing that the body they found in the cargo bay in the first episode was a kid. I remember them mentioning finding a body but I must have missed the shot showing the kid. Anyway, the scene later in the series where 5 remembers (or dreams) that she was a stowaway with the kid makes more sense now. When I first saw it I was wondering “What happened to the kid?” Now it’s clear.
    – Missed seeing 3 reading Charlotte’s Web and crying. Aww. Three has a heart.

I must say binge watching the show was satisfying. I remember the cliff hanger where 2 was spaced out of the airlock and the long agonizing wait until we could see the next episode. Now it’s like,wait 10 minutes and she is back.

Amanda Tapping (Col. Carter of Stargate SG-1/Atlantis fame) is directing a second season episode; she’s been posting a heap of behind-the-scenes photos on Twitter.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

No spoilers, I hope?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed