Coleco Tempest mini-arcade custom

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Collectibles Coleco Tempest mini-arcade custom

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

It’s currently sitting at $450ish on eBay, possibly more by the time you read this. Guessing that it’s a Pi or Arduino running MAME on a little LED in a gutted Coleco mini-arcade. [LINK]

For sale, a custom made Coleco Tempest with a real working spinner! This is a rebuilt Coleco tabletop with all new parts, painted, decaled and made to look like the actual arcade game from the early 1980’s. A battery compartment cover is included but is not an original Coleco one. This unit has a working MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) arcade system inside to play lots of arcade classics. Internally it has a Raspberry Pi computer model A+ connected to a 4.3 color LCD screen. Action is controlled by a 8 way joystick and 4 programmable buttons plus a ball bearing spinner to play Tempest the real way! Coin, Start, Pause, Escape buttons, power LED and volume control are also there to enhance your arcade experience. Adding extra games is as easy as putting the zipped “rom file” (from your favorite rom web site) on a thumb drive and plugging it into the side mounted usb port. Detailed instructions are included and I give great post sales support. Decals are high quality. Game runs on 4 NiMH rechargeable c cell batteries (not included) or included dc adaptor. I recommend the rechargeable cells. Any interested parties outside of Canada or USA must message me first. This game is a must have, add it to your collection! Other games available! I do custom builds of other games too, just message me for details!

That’s beautiful, man. *wipes away a tear* That is also literally more money that I have sitting in the bank at this moment.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve been wanting something like this for years now. If he would make a generic shell ready-made to drop a Raspberry Pi into along with a good screen, I’d be all over it.

Yeah, though personally, I’d like to see someone 3-D print the components of the shell, rather than continuing to gut actual Coleco mini-arcades that could conceivably be nursed back to health. Otherwise we’re back to square one on the old “turn a perfectly good vintage arcade cabinet into a MAME cab” debate.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

That’s what I was talking about with generic shells, I don’t want to see any other Coleco tabletops slaughtered unjustly either. I was thinking more along the line of a Cupcade shell or the Astro Force Stormtrooper shell. A manufactured casing for your Raspberry Pi that you can just drop it into, hook everything up, and off you go in minutes. I have always loved the shape of the Coleco Tabletops, so I’d rather have a shell like that (it’d be nice if it came with an assortment of colors).

I had never seen that Stormtrooper shell before. That is a sexy, sexy little thing right there.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

My problem with the Stormtrooper case is the buttons and joystick are just too large. He had to track down the smallest buttons and stick he could to fit in it, but it’s still too large. It would have been nice if he could have 3D printed smaller fire buttons that he could then insert connectors and wiring into. And if the option is available, I’d love a smaller rotating joystick for games like Ikari Warriors and Heavy Barrel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed