Classic Doctor Who Season 10 – July 8th?

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Classic Doctor Who Season 10 – July 8th?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I sometimes wonder why, having already established Jo on The Sarah Jane Adventures, they didn’t explore the idea of having Jo take over the show. They kind of introduced her as a bit of a scatterbrained tree-hugger (how much of that was really the original formulation of Jo and how much of they is Katy Manning?), which might have been a bit of a mistake. But obviously the actress seems like she’s up for it – she still routinely does stuff for Big Finish.

I still wonder how these look. I bet the film sequences look fantastic, but I still have questions about the video transfers. I know PAL is 576 lines, so you’re look at nearly a 2x upscale to bring that video to 1080. (Assuming they’re not settling for 720, which I’m not sure anyone does anymore.)

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From my experience with the Japanese subtitling groups, they have said that from the original 480i videotape material, the best they can do is is 720p before it start really looks really terrible. Also, there is element availability… some of those film sequences just don’t exist available except from within the episode.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Yeah.

Curmudgeon moment: I almost wish more resources would be devoted to doing animated versions of all the missing 1960s episodes – all of them – similar to the recent (and wonderful) Macra Terror release, before they Blu-Ray any more seasons of stuff that has to be upscaled like crazy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.